Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss meds after surgery!

Hello All!

I was just wondering if anyone has taken weight loss medication after having bariatric surgery?! I had VSG in March and lost about 50 lbs in four months which was super exciting. Though, I haven't lost any weight since mid-July. My 6month post-op doctor suggested that I start taking Saxenda because Wegovy is on back order tool January. I started at 250 and have been sitting at 200-202 for three months.

I guess my question is, has anyone else taken weight loss medication after having surgery? I feel pretty disappointed! Yes, fifty pounds is something to be proud of, but I feel like I lost 70-80% of my stomach, and now I need to take medication. Wtf! I'm just frustrated because I'm following my plan so I'm not sure why I'm not losing any weight anymore.

I have heard of people having to take meds post surgery but I was under the impression that they were not able to stick to the plan 100% because they were still experiencing hunger. You say you are sticking to your plan though so I guess it would depend on how the medication works. If the medication only works by suppressing your appetite then I’m not sure it will do much more than the surgery has already done for you but some of those meds do also speed up your metabolism and or give you energy from what I understand. That could help you lose maybe??

I take an appetite suppressant and a metabolism booster. I was taking a carb blocker, too, but it wasn't really doing anything for me so I stopped it after 2 months (wanted to give it a proper chance). I don't take anything prescribed.

Hello All!
I was just wondering if anyone has taken weight loss medication after having bariatric surgery?! I had VSG in March and lost about 50 lbs in four months which was super exciting. Though, I haven't lost any weight since mid-July. My 6month post-op doctor suggested that I start taking Saxenda because Wegovy is on back order tool January. I started at 250 and have been sitting at 200-202 for three months.
I guess my question is, has anyone else taken weight loss medication after having surgery? I feel pretty disappointed! Yes, fifty pounds is something to be proud of, but I feel like I lost 70-80% of my stomach, and now I need to take medication. Wtf! I'm just frustrated because I'm following my plan so I'm not sure why I'm not losing any weight anymore.

Yes, I did. Before my revision to RNY for gerd, I was suffering from severe gerd and as it progressed it gave me a constant hunger-like pain. I ate more and more small meals but the food in my stomach only helped the burning symptoms temporarily. I gained 1/4 of my total weight loss back after developing gerd, so my surgeon put me on Lomaira while I was waiting for my revision. The Lomaira helped a lot for appetite control. I only took it as needed, not daily, often in the afternoon or evening. Of course, it doesn't help with the gerd but it did take away that particular symptom.

what has changed since you were loosing weight? are you eating poorly now? not exercising? Get back to calorie counting and keep carbs, sugars under a certain level.

I don't have hunger cravings; if anything, I have the opposite problem. I'm constantly battling dehydration because I still cannot get all my Protein and Fluid in one day. Luckily my insurance has covered IV infusions, but I know that can not be a long-term solution.

My doctor said that insurance won't cover weight loss drugs if your BMI is 27 or below, and I that should start the drugs now still. My BMI is already 31.1. Though, that's not a solution to not losing weight.

59 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

what has changed since you were loosing weight? are you eating poorly now? not exercising? Get back to calorie counting and keep carbs, sugars under a certain level.

Nothing has really changed. I eat the same things, but I can consume more now. I wasn't exercising then (I walk at least 3 miles a day, and that hasn't changed), and I've never been one to count calories. I just keep track of my Protein and carbs.

8 hours ago, carpeediem said:

Hello All!

Honestly, this doesn't make sense to me in your case? Saxenda is an appetite suppressant. Unless you're hungry and overeating (which you said you're not), Saxenda won't do a thing?

2 hours ago, carpeediem said:

Nothing has really changed. I eat the same things, but I can consume more now. I wasn't exercising then (I walk at least 3 miles a day, and that hasn't changed), and I've never been one to count calories. I just keep track of my Protein and carbs.

You may want to spend a least a few weeks tracking exactly what you're eating. Most people find they eat a lot more than they think.

I am going to start Wegovy once insurance approves it. I am being monitored by a nurse practitioner through a medical weight loss program -- most of the people in the program are trying to lose weight to become eligible for bariatric surgery. But I am 8.5 years out and definitely struggling to reduce my caloric intake. I have been walking and doing vibration plate sessions multiple times a week. I have been trying to focus on eating high Protein.

I watched a video of a girl who got phentermine after VSG because she still felt an extreme amount of 'post surgery hunger' - it's a little crazy they're giving you an appetite suppressant!

I watched a video of a girl who got phentermine after VSG because she still felt an extreme amount of 'post surgery hunger' - it's a little crazy they're giving you an appetite suppressant!

Right? I wonder if this is a common practice now. I remember years ago they were reluctant to give WLS patients and appetite suppressants until years after the surgery. Well, at least my then-surgeon said no.

I am 8.5 years out and never really lost my hunger with the surgery. I am taking Ozempic now and it is helping. I am 6 lbs down!

I am 8.5 years out and never really lost my hunger with the surgery. I am taking Ozempic now and it is helping. I am 6 lbs down!

I was given one month of Lomaira at about 6.5 years after vsg, right before my revision for gerd. I was worried about the side effects of phentermine. I was supposed to take it 3x a day. I took half of a pill (it worked) in the afternoon, not every day, when I got cravings. I have heard good things about Ozempic. I bet it is a lot safer than phentermine which is the common go-to drug they give wls. Glad you found something that works for you.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:18 PM, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I take an appetite suppressant and a metabolism booster. I was taking a carb blocker, too, but it wasn't really doing anything for me so I stopped it after 2 months (wanted to give it a proper chance). I don't take anything prescribed.

Do you take the appetite suppressant and metabolism booster from bariatric pal?