Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 years out from Sleeve. I feel like a failure.

Hey guys,

First post here. I feel like such a failure. I had the sleeve back in 2019. Got pregnant, then needed back surgery all before I hit the year mark. Let's just say I gained most of my weight back. I'm thinking about a revision because I'm having issues with gerd and my hernia. I went to a support meeting last night and the instructor suggested I try and go on pre surgery liquid diet again and see if I get the restriction back.

Can anyone refresh my memory on what that looks like besides protien drinks?

Lots of broth, Soft foods like scrambled eggs, Low calories, Minimal sugar

If you look in the heading banner, find Forums and use the drop-down arrow. You will find 14 pages of Pre op diets. In the Uk we have different diets so my help would be unhelpful. I can say that by being on this forum for over a year, I have picked up some knowledge of the US diets. I believe the norm is 4 shakes, sugar free popsicles and maybe a fat free yogurt. This lasts about 2 weeks. With a bit of luck someone will chip in who actually did your pre op diet.

Nobody on here will call you a failure, we are a kind bunch. Please give yourself some love. You have gone through so much and you didn't mention Covid. That alone made me pack on another 30+ pounds. I was doing the best I could, so did you. Don't be a stranger anymore. Pop in whenever you can

Thank you guys so much. I am def not going to be a stranger anymore. This has been so hard to come back to and I want to start over and get this under control again. True Covid was hard to get through as well. I am trying to give myself love. I am starting to talk to a therapist as well since I know I have an addiction to food. It's going to be a long process.

good for you to tackle the problem from several angles at once! as long as you are trying you are NOT a failure but a work in progress!!!!

i am pre op but was given the choice of 2 diets;

4-5 Premier Protein or similar profiled shakes shakes a day and one meal of vegetables and lean Protein

or

50 total (not net) carbs a day max.

i am doing the 50 carbs a day and have been since august. lost about 23 since i got down to 50 carbs a day (5-6 weeks; dropped down carb count for three weeks previous to get used to it) and 16 lbs since August 29th.

I am excited for your new start!! i hope you find success to propel you.

So good that you've found this forum - everyone here is so supportive.

Sounds like revision is the right thing, particularly given your GERD. And congratulations on your new arrival (maybe not so new now?)!!!

My pre-op diet was 2 weeks of 800 calories a day. I could do it whatever way I wanted. What I did was three Meal Replacement shakes or Soups (or whatever) and a small Protein and veg meal in the evening. I should say I live in Ireland so it's likely to be different for you. My original surgery date was cancelled the day before I was meant to have it and not re-scheduled for 2 months so I ended up sticking to the 800 calories (give or take) all that time and losing 25lbs. I now view those as pounds I don't have to work hard to lose now, although at the time it was absolutely agonizing waiting for a date!!!

I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. I think your experience with the sleeve and the challenges you faced along the way will really help you get the best out of a bypass.

Don’t be hard on yourself. Life sometimes throws crap at you & health issues & related pain stress are big ones (mean your back not your pregnancy of course). And one you have little control over.

Stumbled across this article a little while ago about the pouch reset diet.

https://emergesurgical.com.au/does-the-pouch-reset-test-work/

Maybe better to go back to your post surgery diet - meeting Protein & fluid goals, watching portion sizes, looking for more nutritionally sound food choices, etc.

All the best.

Lots of people on here think about getting a revision for way too long. If you are suffering from gerd I would be more worried about that than the weight first. I would Get the revision process started asap and you can even ask the surgeon for the best reset diet while you are there.

My preop is 5 Optifast shakes, and one meal with 2 cups of raw veggies/1 cup cooked veggies, 3-4 ounces of lean meat, one teaspoon of a fat servicing (like a lite ranch or low fat mayo), and one fruit serving, around the size of a baseball/1/2 cup of unsweetened sugar free applesauce

there is no way you could eat that much food if youre post op though... you could do the shakes, but be careful with picking them my surgeons office does not recommend premier...

here is a link to one of the best surgeons in mexico, and their preop diet https://www.pompeiisurgical.com/download.php

Just had my revision 4 weeks ago!

My liquid diet was protien shakes, broths, low sugar yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles. Oh, and any sugar free drinks (non-carbonated) and tea.

I had a sleeve 7 years ago and gained all my weight back as well. I decided to do gastric bypass because I knew I needed more permanent help if I wanted to truly get healthy. I was arrogant and not in the right frame of mind when I got my sleeve so I sabotaged myself. This time, I was 100% ready and its been soooo much better and the will power to want to do better seems almost natural now.

Having said that, when I did my liquid diet before surgery, I dropped weight so fast! 12 lbs in 1 week and was down 21 lbs by the time my surgery rolled around (3.5 weeks). So, doing the liquid diet again definitely re-starts your sleeve but it will be up to you to keep up the diet after, which for me is the hard part. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!