Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I posted a while back about being interested in getting surgery at Blossom Bariatrics. After much going back and forth, them quoting me almost 19k... I decided to look more into going to Mexico. To be totally honest, I kept thinking I was off my rocker to go to Tijuana for a gastric sleeve. But after a ton of research, I decided that Dr Ariel Ortiz at OCC (Obesity Control Center), was the surgeon for me. I do have Kaiser Southern California insurance and while I was approved for surgery through them, in fact they would pay it all, it could take a year give or take for the entire process. Honestly, I couldn't wait a year and do their classes. For me, I have to get my health on track ASAP. Also, I understand nutrition from university classes I've taken, I have done a ton of reading and watching up on pre and post op protocols... and I didn't feel like the 2 month class through them online would teach me anything I hadn't already heard of or learned. I'm no expert, by any means... but I've definitely feel prepared and ready.

Anyway, I reached out to OCC and immediately there was a totally different feeling in my communication with them in comparison to Blossom and the 4 other places I reached out to in Southern California. They were ON TOP of it all. They were patient with me (Olivia is who I spoke to most at the beginning) as I asked a million questions, I didn't feel rushed, like I was bothering them, like a number or like I was being "sold" a gastric sleeve. That's how I felt with the other places I had contacted. It has been completely seamless with OCC. I did take out a $6k loan through a company that does health care loans and I'm confident that I will thankfully be able to pay it off before the interest kicks in. But it all has been totally worth the out of pocket money so far.

I've definitely had my fair share of surgeries in the past for other things, and I have to say, I have NEVER and I mean never, received the amount of communication and hand-holding as I have received through OCC so far. I feel totally safe to the point where my wife will be staying back at home with our dogs since they are basically our children. :)

It's pretty incredible how the American Healthcare System is in comparison. The level of care thus far just makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with our health care system! LOL.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience so far. I'm excited to have surgery in 9 days (October 7th). I know it wont be easy.. but it will be worth it. Feel free to reach out. I'll post once I am post op!

Best wishes and a speedy recovery!

Good luck to you and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Please lets us know how it goes.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted on your experience!

I also felt that waiting wasn't an option and paid for my surgery. I don't regret a penny of the £12,000 I paid in the UK. I have heard really good things in this forum from that hospital. Let us know how you are getting along and if there is anything you need help with, please post and we will help if we can. Good luck next week

Good luck.

How did it go?