Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post op ZERO WEIGHT LOSS AND DEPRESSED

On 9/27/2022 at 12:46 AM, crazycatladycanada said:

At a loss here.

went to Mexico and had surgery Aug 12. Less than 24 hours after surgery I had to leave Tijuana because of the civil unrest going there.

I have only heard from the dietician once they do not answer my emails or messages through WhatsApp. to the point where I paid a dietician on my own here in Canada.

I went from consuming pre-surgery over five 6000 cal a day to now always sticking between 1000 and 1200 as per dietician.

I used to only walk 500 to 1000 steps a day and I’m now doing 5000 to 6000 minimum a day.

i have not smoked a cigarette even since before surgery.

I went for a colonic cleanse last week and I’m taking many many supplements.

because of kidney issues when I do take Protein powders I cannot take them anymore according to my doctor and dietician so I make sure to get lots of Protein through Greek yoghurt and chicken or ham or turkey or other vegetables.

I started off day of surgery at 386. after surgery I was 373. When I made it back home to Canada five days later (stayed in California to rest before flight back) my doctor Weighed me at 367. Five weeks later I am at 365.

I have never puked, and for over a month I would get feelings of being starving now finally I’m starting to get where my stomach says hey you’re full but I’ve always been very careful to track everything that goes in my mouth from day one.

I am making sure to get all my liquids in.

I am so depressed at this point I don’t know what to do and I just feel like giving up and saying screw it and going back to my old habits.

I’m beginning to wonder if maybe the doctor in Mexico messed up the surgery or if there’s something really wrong with me

I’ve gone to my family doctor four times and she doesn’t seem that concerned and said that she’ll keep an eye on it.

has anybody else go through this?

I think you are fine. I hear from a lot of people that they are around 25-30 lbs lost by week six. You don't want to lose so fast that it is unhealthy, and you have extra skin. I was told that I wouldn't hit 1-1200 calories until month six. But even 1200 calories shouldn't be an issue if you are eating the right foods. I think sometimes people have this expectation that it is all going to fall off quickly. My doctor said you should lose 50-60 lbs the first six months. Breathe and just keep tracking your food and plugging away. I am four weeks out and I have never puked either. I even was able to eat a small amount of birthday cake. Give it time.

I have lost nothing.m since week one. That’s seven weeks of no loss. Or I should say one pound.

my surgeon and dietician in Mexico literally gave me no information so I had to get a dietician here and see my doctors here in canada. So I’m following what my dietician in canada says. And she was the one that said the 1200 cals a day. I also have to be mindful on the amount of Protein because it does affect my kidneys I’ve already been into the hospital for a week two as mentioned above :)

and at this point it’s NOT normal according to my doctor and my dietician….which is what I expected them to say considering three other siblings had it and have a completely different experience than mine. I went for a CT scan last night so now we wait for results sometime this week.

absolutely stalls are normal but not from the beginning and not seven weeks at the very beginning of no loss. As mentioned in this post thread my initial weight loss was most likely all Water.

I do hope everything start sorting itself out soon because I’m kind of thinking if I’m not getting any results after all of this hard work I might as well just eat what I want since I’m not loosing anyways.

Just now, crazycatladycanada said:

I have lost nothing.m since week one. That’s seven weeks of no loss. Or I should say one pound.

my surgeon and dietician in Mexico literally gave me no information so I had to get a dietician here and see my doctors here in canada. So I’m following what my dietician in canada says. And she was the one that said the 1200 cals a day. I also have to be mindful on the amount of Protein because it does affect my kidneys I’ve already been into the hospital for a week two as mentioned above :)

and at this point it’s NOT normal according to my doctor and my dietician….which is what I expected them to say considering three other siblings had it and have a completely different experience than mine. I went for a CT scan last night so now we wait for results sometime this week.

absolutely stalls are normal but not from the beginning and not seven weeks at the very beginning of no loss. As mentioned in this post thread my initial weight loss was most likely all Water.

I do hope everything start sorting itself out soon because I’m kind of thinking if I’m not getting any results after all of this hard work I might as well just eat what I want since I’m not loosing anyways.

Now that I understand your time frame that is a bit odd. I am on week four of the sleeve, but I average about 600 calories a day, some days I get up to 800, but it is rare. I am losing slower now but I have lost every week, except second, I gained a few, then took it off and more. Make sure to track all of your food if you aren't already and show the doctors you are working with. I have heard of some others that have struggled as well.

I track and weigh everything. I’m just so over this journey to be honest. I work out too so even though I may be at 1200 calories the working out should offset that. I asked the dietician weeks back if that can be the issue, too many calories to fast and she told me no because I’m still in a deficit for my weight. I wish I could read my bodies mind lol

1 minute ago, crazycatladycanada said:

I track and weigh everything. I’m just so over this journey to be honest. I work out too so even though I may be at 1200 calories the working out should offset that. I asked the dietician weeks back if that can be the issue, too many calories to fast and she told me no because I’m still in a deficit for my weight. I wish I could read my bodies mind lol

Some of the ladies with thyroid issues and PCOS have really struggled. Don't give up, it won't help. Give yourself time. At six months if you haven't lost more, I would be worried but maybe stop looking at the scale for a while. There are so many factors that can go in with weight. Hugs friend, I know this must feel defeating.

I am hoping (really hoping!) that you are just working out so much that you're gaining muscle to replace the fat lost. Have you measured to see if you've lost any inches?

Re: PCOS, I had this. It was diagnosed by pelvic ultrasound by my Ob-Gyn. But that would not explain why you have stalled for so long after WLS. In fact, PCOS usually improves after WLS.

Controversial, but I know some doctors that perform ESG (the procedure I had) will prescribe medications after the procedure. Maybe ask about that to jump-start the weight loss again?

I am so sorry you are going through this. I can almost hear your stress coming through in your posts. I hope you get some resolution soon!

I used to take a Ozempic but stopped because of how I’ll it made me but I’m so tempted to start again.

l started measuring myself on September 7. On that day my measurements were:

belly button: 160 cm

neck: 39.5

under breast: 137 cm

left arm: 42 cm

right arm: 42 cm

left thigh: 86 cm

right thigh: 84 cm

today as of two minutes before typing this my measurements are:

belly button: 157

neck: 42

under breast: 131.5

left arm: 40 cm

right arm: 42 cm

left thigh: 82.5

right thigh: 82.5

Above belly button : 148

my neck is bigger lol which means I’m obviously not measuring correctly all the time lol

Tbh I'm glad your Dr's agree that something is going on. I know stalls are normal (going through one myself) but for THAT long & with that much effort is concerning. I hope the scan finds what's going on [emoji171]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using BariatricPal mobile app

15 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

i hate to ask, but since it was Mexico and they rushed you out… can you get an endoscopy to make sure that they did the correct procedure? a cup seems like a lot only a couple weeks out from surgery (i am pre op so don’t know from actual experience just reading up on it) … i have heard of issues with dental work in mexico not being as described- i would fear the same with surgery…

also, from my experience maybe you need to look at macros… i reduced calorie count but didn’t really start big weight changes until i went low carb. it did not change my calorie count much (around 500 less) but severely reducing carbs made weight start to fall off… (41 lbs in 7 months just calories, 36 lbs in less than 10 weeks of carb watching)… different diets work with different body styles, and that may be something to consider and discuss with your nutritionalist.

glad you are having doctors help you figure it out. please let us know when you have updates…

Yeah I wonder, no way I could eat a cup at that stage and no way I could eat that many calories either. Those sorts of calories are what you have to maintain your weight not loose

Looking at your carb counts from a pic you sent in, my Dr has told me to keep the carb count at around 30 or below as much as possible (goes out the window some during soft diet portion since most of that is carby) . Your carb counts seem kind of high in comparison, but I am not sure if there is a medical reason for that. That's my only observation. Hope it gets better!

Hi there!

Just sending you a bunch of support because I can imagine how frustrated you are. I've been stalled for 2.5 weeks - since week 2. Have lost 13lbs since surgery day and I'm about 4.5 weeks out and losing my mind. I knew to expect the stalls, but they are major mind f*cks when you feel like you are doing everything right.

I hope you and your team of docs and dietician can find out what's going on and that weight loss starts back up soon.

In the meantime, forget the scale and keep focus on your daily behaviors- sounds like you're doing well at that. My scale is in the back of my closet because I can't take the idea of this drastic effort not working.

Here's to hoping for a big whoosh soon!

Nothing that new since what I posted earlier last week on this thread.

Still no real weight loss. Did loose a cm in a couple areas. But that could also be my measurements being off as it’s hard measuring your own arms.

Cat scan showed my pouch is bigger but that I did indeed have surgery. No blockages. But apparently I still have a hernia which is strange since I paid Mexico to fix that. Did sleep apnea testing with an at home machine that didn’t go great so now they said that I have to go in and stay the night so that could also be affecting my weight since I never sleep. And not sleeping messes with the metabolism.

i also have a fatty liver which is weird because I hardly ever drink but obviously it’s because of my obesity.

Still waiting on the internal medicine referral so hopefully that comes soon.

I will still continue to track everything and bust my butt and hope that one day it’ll just start coming off.

A8B7CBBE-8F54-4563-8007-CDEE54E76CC0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, crazycatladycanada said:

Nothing that new since what I posted earlier last week on this thread.

Still no real weight loss. Did loose a cm in a couple areas. But that could also be my measurements being off as it’s hard measuring your own arms.

Cat scan showed my pouch is bigger but that I did indeed have surgery. No blockages. But apparently I still have a hernia which is strange since I paid Mexico to fix that. Did sleep apnea testing with an at home machine that didn’t go great so now they said that I have to go in and stay the night so that could also be affecting my weight since I never sleep. And not sleeping messes with the metabolism.

i also have a fatty liver which is weird because I hardly ever drink but obviously it’s because of my obesity.

Still waiting on the internal medicine referral so hopefully that comes soon.

I will still continue to track everything and bust my butt and hope that one day it’ll just start coming off.

A8B7CBBE-8F54-4563-8007-CDEE54E76CC0.jpeg

I'm happy to hear you are getting some answers. I did hear that hernias can come back. They actually found I had an umbilical hernia, not hiatal on the operating room table. I had a hole in my stomach (they actually pulled my stomach out of it, and I only have four scars. Weird stuff happens. I use a sleep apnea machine too. It can help but it is hard to get used to. Here is to more answers for you.