Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post op ZERO WEIGHT LOSS AND DEPRESSED

First: This is my concern with people going out of the country for any type of surgery. Cut and dump. They get their money and that's the end of your care. I am sure this is not the case with every surgeon but it isn't a rare occurrence either. Unfortunately that is the risk you take.

Second: Everyone is different and everyone stalls. Your body is in shock, and now you are eating a fraction of the calories it was used to before surgery. It basically goes into starvation mode and stores EVERYTHING it can until it realizes it is not actually starving and this is the new normal. Your body will adjust, the human body is quite amazing.

I lost like 12 lbs the first week and then nothing for like a month but then my body was like oh ok and I started dropping weight like crazy. (102 lbs in 6 months) I am currently in another stall and have lost 2 lbs in a few days shy of a month now. It does suck but it will pass.

The bottom line is if you have a calorie deficit you WILL lose weight. The surgery helps you be able to eat less, resulting in less calories.

Try to stay off the scale for a while, measure yourself and find other ways to see the results. Smaller clothes, non-scale victories, etc.

be patient, you got this!

I'm gonna repeat what the others have said - I hope that isn't too annoying!

If you're eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day you will be losing fat.

Whatever Water shifts are happening are making it appear that you're not.

This happens to everyone.

You have lost 21lbs since your surgery - I lost 17lbs in my first 6 weeks so you're doing better than I did (not that it's a competition, LOL).

If you stick to your plan you will see sustained fat loss - it's not possible not to. Keep the faith - I know how disheartening it is not to see a change on the scale but I promise you - if you stick with the programme in a year you'll be here posting how you're at your goal weight.

Post here lots - everyone is so supportive and helpful - we are really rooting for you!!!

On 9/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, crazycatladycanada said:

Thank you everyone I really do appreciate the insight, encouragement and suggestions:)

How are things going now? Have you seen any changes? Are you getting in exercise? Even if it on a bike or walks, it all helps.

Unfortunately still not great. Down one pound now since I posted. I work out everyday and burn between 700-1500 in activity calories. I am keeping my calories between 1100-1400 as I was told to try eating more. I go for a CT scan tonight and have been referred to a internal medicine doctor.

14 hours ago, crazycatladycanada said:

Unfortunately still not great. Down one pound now since I posted. I work out everyday and burn between 700-1500 in activity calories. I am keeping my calories between 1100-1400 as I was told to try eating more. I go for a CT scan tonight and have been referred to a internal medicine doctor.

You must be doing some intense workouts to burn that many calories are you sure you should be doing that this early after major surgery? Burning almost the same as your in take is not a great idea. If your figures are correct you should be loosing weight fast. Can I ask how you are measuring your calorie intake and what you are burning during exercise?

Don’t get discouraged. When I had my revision for GERD I left the hospital weighing more than when I went if for surgery by 5lbs! It eventually came off even when I stalled a lot and for a long time after, too.

Trust the process and keep seeing your dietitian.

I track everything I put in my mouth into the bariatric app. I weight everything that is not pre measured.

i am on the treadmill or swimming laps at the pool daily. I tried the do nothing method and was gaining so that doesn’t work for my body.

i have a Apple Watch I wear 24:7 except when it’s charging that keeps track of everything including my steps, calories burned, caloric intake, etc.

my dietitian is the one that said I should be walking or swimming.

Things I find so weird when reading about others sleeve surgery:

- dumping, I have not thrown up once or felt I was going to. My stomach hates eggs now but it’s just a really uncomfortable feeling I get

- everyone has fast weight loss. Me ALMOST nothing. Dr thinks my intial weight loss week one was Fluid. We are two months post op. And seven weeks from when I got back and was weighed at my dr.

- I can eat more than a cup of food at a time if I wanted to. I don’t. But I can easily polish off a Greek yogurt cup and still be very hungry.

CCBE65FF-FC34-4041-832B-CA7BAC6C2B16.jpeg

7836D471-0818-4082-A718-CB1A31EDFA48.jpeg

75BE4EA8-6B68-4402-9E93-893BD1A867BE.png

8BF26836-B58A-45C0-92EA-519BA9BDFF23.png

i hate to ask, but since it was Mexico and they rushed you out… can you get an endoscopy to make sure that they did the correct procedure? a cup seems like a lot only a couple weeks out from surgery (i am pre op so don’t know from actual experience just reading up on it) … i have heard of issues with dental work in mexico not being as described- i would fear the same with surgery…

also, from my experience maybe you need to look at macros… i reduced calorie count but didn’t really start big weight changes until i went low carb. it did not change my calorie count much (around 500 less) but severely reducing carbs made weight start to fall off… (41 lbs in 7 months just calories, 36 lbs in less than 10 weeks of carb watching)… different diets work with different body styles, and that may be something to consider and discuss with your nutritionalist.

glad you are having doctors help you figure it out. please let us know when you have updates…

Just had a CT scan last night. And I’m waiting for the internal doctor referral. So hopefully I figure it out soon. It’s getting kind of frustrating when everybody keeps telling me it’s just a stall and that nothings wrong with me when I know my body and I know how it feels and what I can do and that took eight weeks for my doctor to start listening it’s even more frustrating :(

DA5EEDE2-521B-4BA0-A32F-1648FE953F75.jpeg

Yea. Something is definitely not right. Looking at carbs and stuff in the mean time may not be a bad idea if you aren’t already considering them (if nothing else but to learn how while you have the nutritionist available to teach you) but I admit I didn’t pay too much attention to them since my diet was Protein focused and I still lost the majority of my weight by just reducing calories. Now I wish I had learned a bit more about the specifics now that I am on maintenance since I am learning that calories are definitely not created equal. I am going to go back to the nutritionist before I gain too much back.

Don’t get discouraged. When I had my revision for GERD I left the hospital weighing more than when I went if for surgery by 5lbs! It eventually came off even when I stalled a lot and for a long time after, too.
Trust the process and keep seeing your dietitian.
I gained like 10 lbs by post op day 3. lol but I expected it though, I had to get of my bp meds for a couple of days before my surgery (diuretic) and they really pumped me full of liquids (IV).