Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you feeling tired all the time?

I noticed that even though I started pureed today and all is well, I am super tired every time I walk around. Is this normal? When did you see it start to go away?

Yes, it’s pretty normal. Your healing & recovering from a pretty major surgery & feeling tired is yiur body telling you to rest to allow it to heal. Plus you’ve made considerable changes to your diet which takes a bit of getting used to as well. If you feel tired, rest. Don’t push yourself to do more. It does get better though you may still experience periods of tiredness at times. Try an electrolyte drink (I used hydralyte) to give you a little boost of energy on days when you have a few chores to do. Take some with you when you’re out or stop at a cafe and rest over a cup of tea. I did this often.

I think it took about eight weeks for it to completely lift, but it got a little better every week until it was completely gone (in other words, you won't feel this tired for the whole eight weeks (or however long it takes for you)). It'll gradually get better.

I wasn't tired the first couple of weeks, but the last week I have been exhausted.

1 hour ago, SuziDavis said:

I wasn't tired the first couple of weeks, but the last week I have been exhausted.

Probably the lack of calories catching up to you.

Take care.

47 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

Probably the lack of calories catching up to you.

Take care.

Yeah, I am sure it is. It doesn't help that suddenly EVERYTHING taste bad to me, so eating has been very unenjoyable.

21 minutes ago, SuziDavis said:

Yeah, I am sure it is. It doesn't help that suddenly EVERYTHING taste bad to me, so eating has been very unenjoyable.

Eh no fun. Hope it passes.

I am losing weight pretty quick since surgery. Today is day 10 and I am down 17 lbs. That may be a lot of this. I started some foods yesterday so hopefully that will help. Going to go for an IV infusion tomorrow.

Hi everyone, my husband had GSV surgery 2 days ago - is it normal that he is sleeping so much? He gets up and walks a bit,, has some Water and then needs to go lie down again. Constantly feels nauseous… is on 2 meds for nausea. I am a bit nervous for myself since I am scheduled for GSV surgery in October

On 9/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, MissD123 said:

Hi everyone, my husband had GSV surgery 2 days ago - is it normal that he is sleeping so much? He gets up and walks a bit,, has some Water and then needs to go lie down again. Constantly feels nauseous… is on 2 meds for nausea. I am a bit nervous for myself since I am scheduled for GSV surgery in October

Very normal. I didn't get out of bed for four days except to walk to the bathroom and shower.

I don’t remember it being associated with walking but I got pretty tired and had to nap almost daily for the first few months. Best thing to do was to just give in and rest when your body needs it.

I found I was rather tired for the first month or so post-op, particularly in the mid-afternoon. Around the six to seven week mark, I noticed a significant increase in energy, despite no major changes in diet. I dealt with the fatigue by simply taking a break when I needed to. For me, even a 30-minute rest in my recliner was enough to feel better.

As others have mentioned, the most important thing to do is listen to your body. Healing takes time and energy, and if your body is telling your mind that it is tired, you likely are. Everyone recovers at different rates, and your experiences sound quite normal. Give it time and stick to your plan.

I have been feeling very tired the last few days also. My surgery was September 19 and am on week 2 of liquid diet. I have stopped loosing weight for about 10 days now and will have my first appointment with my team on Wednesday. I know the process is long term and can take time. My concern is I'm eating late as I tend to sleep in . And start my day later on. 11am most days. I use to be up at 7 am before surgery. Going to bed 12-2 am. And napping 2 or 3 times a day for 20 min to 1.5 hours. I feel disconnected from routine. I have tried to go to bed earlier but lie there for hours on end and eventually get up. Just feeling frustrated right now. Thank you for any ideas or recommendations.

16 hours ago, Leo segovia said:

I have been feeling very tired the last few days also. My surgery was September 19 and am on week 2 of liquid diet. I have stopped loosing weight for about 10 days now and will have my first appointment with my team on Wednesday. I know the process is long term and can take time. My concern is I'm eating late as I tend to sleep in . And start my day later on. 11am most days. I use to be up at 7 am before surgery. Going to bed 12-2 am. And napping 2 or 3 times a day for 20 min to 1.5 hours. I feel disconnected from routine. I have tried to go to bed earlier but lie there for hours on end and eventually get up. Just feeling frustrated right now. Thank you for any ideas or recommendations.

It is funny you say that because I am really struggling going to sleep. I am considering getting a sleep patch to try to get me back on schedule. I have been staying up until 4 am. I have never done that before.

On 10/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, nymisc said:

It is funny you say that because I am really struggling going to sleep. I am considering getting a sleep patch to try to get me back on schedule. I have been staying up until 4 am. I have never done that before.

I talked with my pharmacist and told her of my surgery and sleeping struggles. She recommended I can take melatonin . I found these that are 3mg. A recommended dose can be from 5 to 10 mg. Si day one I tried just one 3mg. I slept ok. But still struggled a bit next day I tried two 3mg. And was great. Just to see I tried three 3 mg the following day and wes lights out quickly. Awesome! So I found that for me 2 or 3 work great. I try to keep it at two but I have the option of three. So I would ask your pharmacist and see what they would recommend. I also if woke up at night have a small glass of warm milk. And nighty night.