Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has done this alone with no support system?

Congrats to all my October buddies. My surgery date is October 3rd. I started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday and it seems surprisingly easy. I do wonder how I will feel about it next week though. I am isolated in my daily life. I am over 50, single with no kids at home or nearby, I work from home and live in a suburban area that is mostly made up of families and traveling plant workers and I don't know anyone - no support system in place. Who else is going through this completely alone? I am arranging paid transportation to the med center and a paid medical transport to bring me home following the procedure. For those of you who have had to go through this by yourself, did you feel able to manage alone post-op? What was the most difficult thing?

Most difficult thing at first is going to be getting up and siting down or getting out bed. Get a cane and one of those grabber things so you can pick things up that fall to the ground. i could not sleep in a bed for at least a month

While I have a family... I was pretty much on my own. I couldn't driver home from the hospital, but the next day I could. My husband still expected dinner cooked and the kids dealt with.

My surgery was on a Wednesday, and I was back at my home desk working on Friday.

I managed, it wasn't ideal, but it's doable. just take everything slow.

I am feeling much better about this already. Fingers crossed that the Uber driver shows up on time the morning of surgery. It can be a terrible commute into Houston.

I was not alone but I could have been easily.

I basically did everything for myself except when I dropped something I couldn't bend over far enough to pick it up in the beginning.

I did get tired easily, but naps can help out with that.

I think you will be ok, good luck!

I was alone. I had someone take me and take me home, other than that....I slept a lot. It is an easy surgery--(I have had several, so I consider myself an expert, LOL) I have kids, but an hour away. Eat the way you are supposed to, take the pain meds, make sure you have something for nausea.

I second what kcuster said. I didn’t do it alone but I pretty much did. My husband dropped me off before work and stopped by to visit after when he watched tv for a few minutes and then left. Granted he would’ve been more present if I needed him but I did not have a lot of pain or any issues really. When I got home from hospital I took care of myself. He popped in and asked if I needed anything a few times but quickly realized I was managing on my own just fine. I would have the number handy for a visiting nurse just in case you have a tougher recovery but so long as you have a typical one you should be just fine.

I live alone, hundreds of miles from any family, and I didn’t tell anyone about my surgery other than health care professionals. I really didn’t have any issues. I took a taxi to the hospital and hired a home health care aid to take me home. The hospital said they wouldn’t allow me to take a taxi/Uber home but they didn’t check and I totally could have, but the home health care aid didn’t cost much more than a taxi and she picked up my prescriptions and brought my bag in the house, so that was good. Plus, I had no idea how well or poorly I would be feeling when I got discharged, so it was nice to have that peace of mind.

I had surgery on a Thursday, took the next week off of work, and went back the following Monday. I could have gone back much sooner, but it was good to have the week off so I could get used to my new situation (like having to sip tiny amounts to stay hydrated and get protein).

I didn’t need any help taking care of myself. I didn’t have any pain by the time I got home. I was a little tired but functional. If I recall correctly, I wasn’t allowed to lift more than 20 pounds for the first 6 weeks, but I didn’t have any need to do so.

I think my easy recovery was pretty typical of most WLS patients these days, but there’s always a chance you’ll have complications, so it’s a good idea to have a contingency plan in case you do need help.

I think you will be fine....only the first day or so is an issue for the physical part of things. After that, if you need help or advice, that is what we are all here for. We have gone through it and can ease your concerns or tell you how we got through various things like stalls, vomiting, bloating, Constipation etc, etc as well as understand all the Non scale victories you will inevitably come across.

I am married to a wonderful husband but he could careless what size I am so he is neutral on anything related to weight. My family are all asking and live across the nation and we rarely speak except happy birthday, Merry Christmas... Etc. so I think I would classify myself as going through it alone.

No true support system but no adversity from family or others since I do keep to myself. I prefer it this way, to do it alone, to cook, log and track. I find it more difficult if I had to take care of kids or people who do not have dietary restrictions. If I need support, I have you all.

As far as right after post op. I slept for day one and was fine after that.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope all goes well with you. I had my brother with me when I had mine and he was a great help. My sister was recovering from hers and we stayed in the same apartment. I stayed in the hospital for two nights and I needed my brother to help me to go to the toilet and walk with me etc. I know the nurses were there but still. He also helped with cleaning the dressing after I was released from the hospital etc. I'm lucky to have a supportive family. My wife was there for me after I flew home (I did mine in Egypt and flew to Malaysia after 10 days).

Having someone to support (physically and emotionally) is good but I guess you can do it on your own for sure. Can't you hire a nurse to be there for the first few days? We are here for you!

You got this 😃!

9 hours ago, 18kDays said:

I am feeling much better about this already. Fingers crossed that the Uber driver shows up on time the morning of surgery. It can be a terrible commute into Houston.

My hospital had strict rules regarding that that no uber, taxi, lyft could be used to take you home after surgery. had to be friend, family or a medical service.

I think you’ll be OK. I was happy to be alone & just rest after surgery. My surgeon sent a visiting nurse a few times, which made me feel safe. I slept in my bed but with some body pillows to help. I hear the medical lazy boy style chairs are awesome to sleep in & can be rented. I didn’t take the pain meds, I didn’t need them & the Constipation wasn’t worth it. As for standing, I don’t think you’ll need help but, I would slide off the couch or bed and stand from my knees. You can do this, it’s not bad. The dentist is worse IMHO. Good luck!

Was over 50, lived alone, no children & wasn’t working at the time & I managed fine alone. Had a friend drop me off & pick me up from the hospital. She txt everyday to check on me as did another friend & my mum. They were the only ones I had told at the time. My neighbours knew I had surgery as I’d asked if they would mind taking out my bin for collection. They also offered to get anything I needed from the store.

Honestly, I enjoyed just pottering around my house doing what I needed when I wanted &/or was up to doing it after the surgery. No demands or expectations from any one else. I spent a lot of time resting on my couch reading a bit, watching a bit of tv & dozing.

I made sure I had everything I needed for the first two weeks post surgery before my operation: variety of shakes, broths & Soups, hydralyte or similar electrolyte drink, over the counter meds (non NSAID pain relief, gasX, immodium, Benefibre, etc.). & so on. Some surgeons give you your scripts before your surgery so get them filled too. (I got mine while at the hospital & they filled them there before I was discharged.)

Might be an opportunity to knock on a neighbour’s door & introduce yourself. I did when I moved into my new home. Both sides had children & one couple worked while the other didn’t. You don’t have to become best friends but it’s nice to have someone next door who is there if needed. We often do each other’s bins, collect mail, have a chat over the fence, keep an eye on each other’s places if we’re away & even the odd glass of wine or cup of tea.

Hey y'all I have a wonderful husband and support system. He took me, waited until I was out of surgery. I had my procedure late in the day so I spent the night, he went to our hotel. He picked me up, took very good care of me and has continued to, all while working full time, and remodeling our kitchen. The great thing is he is going to get the VSG next month, so we are supporting each other! We told our children that we are doing this together and they are very supportive as well. I am one very lucky lady!!

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app