Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, everyone...

I'm almost 3 weeks post-op, and my feet are still swollen even though the edema went away everywhere else (like my hands). I'll send a message with a picture to my doctor in the morning and let you know what she says. I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with foot swelling still present a few weeks after surgery.

ETA: I think I may have found the culprit. They have me on 2 BP meds since I've been home (amlodipine & one other I forget the name of) because it was out of control in the hospital (210 on top) and is currently on the high side even medicated but not scary high. The plan is to keep monitoring my blood pressure at home so my doctor knows when to lower my dose. Once I lose enough weight and can move more, she has hope I won't need them in the future, but for now I do.

Edited by suzecate

Yes, It would be a good idea to let your doctor know what is happening with your feet. They may need to do some adjusting.

My blood pressure medication was halved after my operation in May this year. I have stopped taking it after I spoke to a doctor 1 month ago.

Good luck Monday. :)

I really hope you get to go off all the meds but as you may already be aware some people do not. My husband doesn’t even like salt and has always been very fit as is his entire family yet almost all of them have high BP. It’s just a genetic thing sometimes.

i am glad you are messaging your doctor. Not sure if you will get a response today (Sunday). They may not even look at emails before Monday. You may actually have more luck if you call the after hours number and tell them to look for your message or consider urgent care if you want answers sooner (I know I would). Of course if you have any other symptoms or it gets suddenly worse you should go to the ER.

My G/P put me on Amlodipine but my consultant took me off it as it makes swollen feet worse .I am on duiretic but I still have swollen feet .

7 hours ago, suzecate said:

ETA: I think I may have found the culprit. They have me on 2 BP meds since I've been home (amlodipine & one other I forget the name of) because it was out of control in the hospital (210 on top) and is currently on the high side even medicated but not scary high.

Yep, could be the amlodipine. I use to take it, but my doc took me off it due to the edema.

I was once on nifedipine which is in the same family/class of drugs and my feet were horribly swollen. It was terrible. I complained about them but in typical fashion, my dr's PA said "put your feet up." Yes, because that works when you have stressful day job working 12+ hours a day on the regular (at a desk). When I started to have serious heart issues, the swelling from the nifedipine masked the issue a bit, because they thought the swelling was from that, and not my heart issue. Thank goodness I advocated for myself or I would be dead.

Anyway, the moral of my story isn't to scare you, but to say that if the almodipine is causing swelling, I would recommend you push back and ask for other alternatives. There are many blood pressure medications out there and they can try different combinations to control the pressure and that also minimize the side effects for you.

22 hours ago, fed-up said:

My G/P put me on Amlodipine but my consultant took me off it as it makes swollen feet worse .I am on duiretic but I still have swollen feet .

Same here. Pre -surgery I was on this and swelled up so bad it hurt and my ankles and feel throbbed. Once he took me off of it, it got better but i still swelled up on hot days and when walking around a lot.

It stopped IMMEDIATELY after surgery, it was weird. (Still on 1 BP med) now on no meds and my feet and ankles still have no swelling. Even after walking around an amusement park for 8 hours!

Thanks for the feedback, all!

I heard back from my doctor yesterday (Monday). She agreed it's most likely the Amlopidine and suggested I go off it entirely but monitor my BP daily (I still have one other BP med I continue to take). If the swelling goes down and my BP stays reasonable, no problem, but if my BP rises, time to check out a new med.

Compression socks arrived yesterday, too. I put them on as soon as I woke up this morning.