Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal? Does it go away?

I'm 2 weeks post op, just started puree/soft food stage, I tried eating pureed chicken and very soft scrambled eggs (2 separate times), they both sat very bad, I could only eat like 2 bites of them and felt super full, like they were rising back up and like they were stuck. Is this normal? Did I start those 2 too early on? Will the sensation go away? My nutri and doctor tend to not follow up and don't reply to my messages.

Sent from my STK-LX3 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, You have found the two foods that are really difficult to eat after surgery. Just leave them for a few weeks and then rotate them back into your diet. I am 9 months out and still struggle with chicken. [ Minced chicken is fine ! ] Keep trying foods every month that you struggle with and I am told eventually we will be ok with it. I am struggling with cooked salmon too.

I’m going to be 4 weeks on Tuesday, and yes, some days I still have this. Every day my tummy seams to have a little different tolerance (heck even meal to meal). Some days a few bits are all I can eat at a time - some days I can have almost a cup of food for a meal.

A few things that helped me were smaller bites, chew more thoroughly and slowing down my eating if I was feeling what you described.

Sometimes I would measure out my meal, take a bite, walk away - then come back … eating a bite at a time but spacing it out. (That was tedious, not always possible but if I was home, it helped).

I have to be mindful of my bite sizes because as small as I’m trying to take, if I got that stuck feeling, next time I tried to take 1/2 the bite size. It’s almost a nibble for me - followed by lots of chewing. Purée was the hardest for me because not chewing, I’d eat to fast.

A baby spoon was very helpful for purées for me.

Hang in there it’s trial and error and getting to know your body’s new signals.

eggs seem to be one of those foods that bother some people and not at all for others - I had scrambled eggs in the hospital and boiled eggs the first week home (on the plan...) with no problem. It's just one of those things - for some it may be lettuce (when it comes to that phase) or beef or who knows what. As suggested, try it again in a couple weeks to see how it does - that was one of our program's basic rules - test foods one at a time for tolerance and if one doesn't work, try it again in a couple weeks.

I can't tolerate lettuce. At all. eggs, chicken, all that was perfectly fine. But lettuce is terrible, which stinks because I miss salads!!! Everyone is different. At almost 4 1/2 months post op, I still periodically try lettuce in hopes I can eat it, but so far no.

I’m going to be 4 weeks on Tuesday, and yes, some days I still have this. Every day my tummy seams to have a little different tolerance (heck even meal to meal). Some days a few bits are all I can eat at a time - some days I can have almost a cup of food for a meal.

A few things that helped me were smaller bites, chew more thoroughly and slowing down my eating if I was feeling what you described.

Sometimes I would measure out my meal, take a bite, walk away - then come back … eating a bite at a time but spacing it out. (That was tedious, not always possible but if I was home, it helped).

I have to be mindful of my bite sizes because as small as I’m trying to take, if I got that stuck feeling, next time I tried to take 1/2 the bite size. It’s almost a nibble for me - followed by lots of chewing. Purée was the hardest for me because not chewing, I’d eat to fast.

A baby spoon was very helpful for purées for me.

Hang in there it’s trial and error and getting to know your body’s new signals.
Thanks, yeah, I seem to be eating faster now with purees and it's harder to slow down, I will buy a baby spoon, maybe that will help, thanks for the advice and thanks everyone for replying,

I can't tolerate lettuce. At all. eggs, chicken, all that was perfectly fine. But lettuce is terrible, which stinks because I miss salads!!! Everyone is different. At almost 4 1/2 months post op, I still periodically try lettuce in hopes I can eat it, but so far no.
Wow, interesting, I still can't eat lettuce but I guess I'll see how that goes with me. And I'll wait a week or two to try chicken and eggs again, and see how it goes. Thanks for replying!

Yeah, your tummy can be pretty fussy & sensitive for a while. Plus the temporary changes to your sense of smell & taste can make finding foods you can tolerate a bit of a challenge. There even may be odd times when your tummy just says no to something you’ve eaten without issue then it’s fine again a day or so later. I used to say my tummy was like a tantrum throwing, pernickety 2 year old.

eggs, chicken breast, beef can be difficult for many. Don’t give up any food doesn’t like. Just leave it for a week or two or so & then try again. Or try a less coarse, more moist cut like minced beef or chicken thigh.

It does get easier.

16 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Eat mixed fresh veggies with dressing and no lettuce. Still salad, just no lettuce and just as good!

My nutritionist at our office said that with eggs, people tend to swallow them whole or not chew enough since they are soft. She actually recommended eating a fried/over med egg or hard boiled egg over scrambled because it will make you chew it.

When I tried the fried/over med egg it was much easier on my stomach.

My nutritionist at our office said that with eggs, people tend to swallow them whole or not chew enough since they are soft. She actually recommended eating a fried/over med egg or hard boiled egg over scrambled because it will make you chew it.

When I tried the fried/over med egg it was much easier on my stomach.

Oh, I'll definitely try that, thanks [emoji4]

7 hours ago, Miimii_Roci274 said:

Oh, I'll definitely try that, thanks

Hope it works!

When I started eggs I could only eat a bit or two. I found waiting say 20 to 30 minutes and try another couple bits helped. I did this with all new foods I tried. It made it easier for me.

I made sure I was not drinking right before eating