Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled at only 2 weeks post-op

I am just two weeks post-op and have weighed the exact same for 4 days. I am following my program, and feel extremely discouraged at this point. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm feeling like it was all for nothing.

Everyone does.

Just keep going.

the body does that sometimes. you can’t worry about daily fluctuations, more like weekly trends.

remember - 1 gallon of Water weighs 8 lbs - so if you are retaining or lost up to gallon of water from your body that could cause the number to fluctuate or keep it from going down if you are loosing fat.

do you do body measurements ?

So you hit your 3rd week stall a little early... i did too. ITs normal. and it will happen again and again. the 3rd week stall typically last only a couple weeks. The 3 month stall for me lasted almost the entire month. Dont worry yourself and dont weigh yourself everyday. You will drive yourself nuts. Just stick to the program. i weigh myself once a month.

Yep, I stalled at 2 weeks and now I am 4.5 weeks out and I hit another small stall...but I know it's because I've had some healthy carbs (potatoes and fruit). Try exercising if you can...just light walking and calisthenics. don't do running or anything strenuous.

Almost everyone hits their first stall AROUND the three week mark. Some before and some after. You will go through a few of these along the way so if the scale is getting to you try to weigh yourself less often.

Stalls are so frustrating. I hope yours is short lived. We all get them and they always end. It just feels really unfair to be sticking to the programme and not lose anything!

I agree with the others - stay off the scales for a week if you can and you should be through the worst of it by then (although I'm sorry to say some stalls last a few weeks).

Were you losing well up to 4 days ago?

I went from 198 SW to 184. Those aren't gaudy numbers but considering my goal is 63 pounds lost, not bad when I look at it. I'll do what everyone is suggesting and stay off the scale for awhile. This is something that I've struggled with, not letting the number on the scale determine my mood or feelings of self-worth.

Yup - I lost the first week … then scales didn’t move week two. Then they moved a tiny bit (I’m 3 weeks and two days post op now) and today my period decided to show up - so I’ve had a bit of a gain.

I’m wildly stressed for my first in person follow up next week - because I’m worried I won’t have made enough progress - but I’m sticking to my plan and doing my best to stay on track. It is what it is. As long as I follow my plan I know my weight will come off.

My labs are showing improvement over my pre op numbers and my clothes are definitely getting loose. So I’m trying to focus on the signs that I’m headed in the right direction and not fixate on just the scales.

Hang it there - your body is still recovering from the surgery … as you move forward you will see the progress.

I hit my 3 week stall at 2 1/2 weeks. It's normal. It'll break and you'll lose weight again. Just stick to your plan and watch for the non scale victories. Those are a huge help.

It happens to all of us & often several times. Stick to top your plan. Don’t stress. Let your body takes the time it needs to adjust to the changes. You’ll start to lose again. If we all got stuck & never lost again, none of us would have lost our weight.

15 hours ago, LookingForward22 said:

Yup - I lost the first week … then scales didn’t move week two. Then they moved a tiny bit (I’m 3 weeks and two days post op now) and today my period decided to show up - so I’ve had a bit of a gain.

I’m wildly stressed for my first in person follow up next week - because I’m worried I won’t have made enough progress - but I’m sticking to my plan and doing my best to stay on track. It is what it is. As long as I follow my plan I know my weight will come off.

My labs are showing improvement over my pre op numbers and my clothes are definitely getting loose. So I’m trying to focus on the signs that I’m headed in the right direction and not fixate on just the scales.< br />
Hang it there - your body is still recovering from the surgery … as you move forward you will see the progress.

Me and you are in the exact same boat. and its soooo frustrating!!!

On 9/8/2022 at 9:31 AM, AliceFD said:

I am just two weeks post-op and have weighed the exact same for 4 days. I am following my program, and feel extremely discouraged at this point. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm feeling like it was all for nothing.

Yep. I've heard it's common. Almost exactly at the 2-week mark recently for me I was the same weight for 4-5 days, but I knew it was just a matter of time before I'd see it come off again so wasn't worried. Now I'm back to losing daily.