Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating/Bite Timer

Hi all, a WLS coach mentioned there are some timer apps that help slow down eating and time between bites of food. I’m looking at several in the Apple App Store. Do any folks have an app they use and recommend? Thanks!

I just eat slowly. your phone has a built in timer if you want to go that route. Looking at your profile you had your surgery almost 3 years ago and you seem to be doing very well.

I picked one up called Chlow. I haven't really used it, but it's free, so you can always give it a try and see if it works for you.

I don't use it but I heard the app Baritastic has timers.

For something so simple, I had a lot of trouble finding a free bite timer app. I found one that is intended for interval training called Interval Timer.

When I first started out I just watched the clock. Took a bite every 1 minute and chewed at least 30 times.

Now, it is just kind of natural and I don't need to watch the clock. I have caught myself eating a little faster a few times and slow back down but nothing serious and it didn't effect me.

I still chew, a lot. I don't necessarily count every bite but i chew till mush.

simply the act of putting down my utensil after each bite makes me take my time chewing.

I am so rubbish at this and have been since day 1. I gobble the first three-quarters of any meal (because I pretty much know what volume of what types of food my stomach will hold after almost 10 months). It's only then that I can get control of myself and slow down a bit. Even then if I'm busy at work or something I just eat the whole meal quickly. I wish I could be better at it. Maybe I leave it until I'm too hungry before eating!

I also drink far too quickly.

Sorry this has been no use at all has it? :D

Baritastic does have timers (eat, drink, chew) - the app is free and I like the meal tracking and other tracking features. But even if you don’t use the other pieces the times are simple and part of the free app.

I splurged on this utensil set in the BariatricPal Store that alerts you if you eat too fast. I'm less than a week out since starting stage 3 (and with that, chewing), so I wanted to get some good habits in place.

I'm happy to hear that Baritastic has a timer. I have the app and track there but haven't poked around enough apparently.