Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missed period

uh oh! For what I hear your period can go crazy from all the hormone change in your body but I usually hear people have it too long or it doesn't stop.

I can't actually think of anyone talking about missing it.

Pregnancy test?😳

Now that I think about it, I haven’t heard of anyone being late yet either. You are especially fertile post surgery though. If there is ANY chance you could be pregnant I’d do a test.

i just did a search and one other post came up for late period. And a few about periods do mention people with irregular periods being late. Personally, I’d still do a test to be safe, though.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Yep! I was 6 weeks before I figured out I was pregnant. We just had our first ultrasound today. I didn’t think it was possible to be honest but here I am, nauseated.

I must say though, I did have late and irregular periods (no pcos) continue for 3-4 months post op before I finally had a regular cycle. It actually synchronized with my coworker and I knew that was a good sign. That was my last one… 

Oestrogen is stored in your fat so as you lose weight it’s released into your blood stream. This hormonal flush can cause a number of issues including longer or shorter periods or cycles, heavier or lighter periods, more or fewer PMS symptoms, etc. For me it actually stopped my menopausal symptoms. They came back though once I’d lost a lot of my weight. And yes it can make you more fertile, so I agree with the suggestion to do a pregnancy test. I have heard some doctors recommend doubling down on contraceptives too until your hormones resettle.

On 09/08/2022 at 02:30, Bobbierose said:

Well did a test it was negative so I will wait and see if it turns up

I was testing for 2 weeks and it was negative until it wasn’t. I actually had stopped looking at the tests after I peed on them. One night I felt super sick and had this weird experience with a hummingbird to where I felt like oh, crap. I think this is a baby. The next day I tested and sure enough, positive. When I went back through the bathroom garbage to find the test from the day or so before, that too was positive but I hadn’t waited the proper amount of time for the reading to be accurate.

Please keep us updated! I’m invested in your outcome!

I'm 12 days late at this point. But I'm nearly 4 months post op, so I'm a bit further out than you are.

I've never had issues with PCOS, the only time I was ever late was when I was pregnant and I knew I was pregnant even before I took the test because I couldn't stop vomiting. In fact, I continued to do so for 34 weeks and 5 days...yeah. that was fun.

My husband had a vasectomy (twice because the first didn't take). So we believe it's from my weight loss at this point. I took a test, it's negative and I've got an appointment with my GYN anyways.

Hi ladies. Any updates? I ask bc I’m kind of starting to panic. I have regular periods, and I’m now 2 weeks late, and I’m 5 weeks post opp. I do ovulation tracking with sticks and so far no LH surge has been detected. I also have taken 2 pregnancy tests and they’re negative. I don’t feel pregnant (I could tell with my child before before even testing) but I’m still nervous. We do want to add a baby in the future but not unless and before the weight stabilizes. I really hope it is the Hormonal changes from the surgery.

6 hours ago, Garfield1987 said:

Hi ladies. Any updates? I ask bc I’m kind of starting to panic. I have regular periods, and I’m now 2 weeks late, and I’m 5 weeks post opp. I do ovulation tracking with sticks and so far no LH surge has been detected. I also have taken 2 pregnancy tests and they’re negative. I don’t feel pregnant (I could tell with my child before before even testing) but I’m still nervous. We do want to add a baby in the future but not unless and before the weight stabilizes. I really hope it is the Hormonal changes from the surgery.

I was 17 days late in August and when I went to my annual exam, my GYN explained that it's very likely from the weight loss I've had. He did mention to keep tracking them and if anything is continuing to be off, then he'll order testing to check for anything that could be the culprit. My next period was a week early, so I believe it has to do with the weight loss.