Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood pressure

So, my blood pressure is plummeting! To the point of passing out. I had HBP before surgery and on meds. It has slowly been going down. My PCP had me cut my meds in half, still too low. Took me off all meds and now even lower. It was so low yesterday that I couldn't even get a reading on my home BP cuff, but my wife took hers and it was normal. (mainly to make sure the cuff was working) When I finally got a reading about 20 minutes later it was 83/54, then it goes back to normal around 115/75... I am waiting for my doctors office to open this morning to see what he says and likely go in. I haven't been seen since before surgery.
I went for a walk yesterday and got about a mile from home, and had to get a UBER home because I was to the point of passing out. It happened just while doing nothing to so I don't think it is activity related.
It is making me so frustrated! It is always something, you make changes to get healthy and then other bull crap arises!
Just venting

Omg! 😱 Having to take an Uber home a mile. That's scary.

This will probably be me in a couple of months, if not sooner. I have an appointment tomorrow with my primary about blood pressure meds and to see how he wants to proceed.

I hope they get your BP regulated. Passing out isn't fun.

10 minutes ago, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

Omg! 😱 Having to take an Uber home a mile. That's scary.

This will probably be me in a couple of months, if not sooner. I have an appointment tomorrow with my primary about blood pressure meds and to see how he wants to proceed.

I hope they get your BP regulated. Passing out isn't fun.

I know! I felt like such a fat ass having to UBER home so close. haha But, you could clearly look at me and see that something was wrong.

I was white as a ghost and soaked in sweat, breathing super heavy.

I am mostly worried about driving.. I definitely do not want to pass out behind the wheel.

Maybe take an Uber or have someone drive you to the dr appt too. Definitely don’t want to pass out or even get dizzy while driving.

13 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Maybe take an Uber or have someone drive you to the dr appt too. Definitely don’t want to pass out or even get dizzy while driving.

yep, already on it. Thank you

Mine is very low too. When i get my readings and put them into some website that lets you know the numbers mean it says i am hypotension. I brought it up at my last doc visit and they said it was fine. I do smoke weed and my blood pressure goes up into a more normal range and my beats per minute go from the low 50's to around 80's

38 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

Mine is very low too. When i get my readings and put them into some website that lets you know the numbers mean it says i am hypotension. I brought it up at my last doc visit and they said it was fine. I do smoke weed and my blood pressure goes up into a more normal range and my beats per minute go from the low 50's to around 80's

Did you bring it up to your surgeon or your PCP?

I smoke once in a while, but it seems to get lower when I smoke so i stopped again.

I have low blood pressure too, also slow heart rate but not to the point of passing out. My surgeon suggested upping my salt intake a bit and enjoy my coffee if I like coffee (I do) since it raises bp and heart rate. Moderation for both, of course.

How soon after surgery did your blood pressure go down?

I am hoping that my blood pressure will get lower once I start losing more pounds. As it is, I haven't really been measuring my blood pressure post surgery, although I probably should.

I have had a had time taking my blood pressure meds after the gastric sleeve, and I have even thrown up my pills a couple of times. I used to take them all at night, but now I take two pills at night and two in the morning, because four in one sitting is too much.

9 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

Did you bring it up to your surgeon or your PCP?

I smoke once in a while, but it seems to get lower when I smoke so i stopped again.

I did with my surgeon and my primary doc. I keep a log of my blood pressure readings and they said its fine and normal after surgery. still i keep an eye on it and take my blood pressure twice a day while resting so i can have that info ready on my next visit.

It’s not an uncommon side effect of the weight loss. It usually is temporary & settles in time. But not for all of us. I’ve low blood pressure & slow heart rate like @Tomo. Should add I also always had a tendency towards drops in my pressure. It’s a family thing & it would occur more when I was at a lower weight. Now I weigh even less than in the past it’s like every day. I took my blood pressure a couple of times a day for about a month to track it’s fluctuations & noted what I’d been doing at the time but then promptly forgot to take it to my doctor. Spoke to her about it but she wasn’t too worried because of the pre disposition. Should add she initially put me on medication (fludrocortisone) when I first discussed it with her in my first year post op but it did nothing so we dropped it.

Yes, I have low energy too or exhaust quickly. The low pressure means the blood is oxygenating the body as well as you need. I also have random hypoglycaemic episodes.so a fun experience when they all combine. I try to take an electrolyte drink with me if I know I’m doing anything strenuous. Otherwise I just pace myself & will rest if I think it’s getting too much.

Amusingly when I had my gall out, they were concerned in post op about how low my BP was. Gave me a cup of tea to boost it - went up about 10 points & dropped again. Then gave me a shot of ephedrine. It went up 20 points & then they watched it drop right back again within a few minutes. Kept saying. It’s just me & how it usually is.

Edited by Arabesque

I saw my PCP yesterday...Apparently this is common within 6 months post bypass. My body is trying to adjust as it is loosing weight so rapidly. It should pass on it's own but if it starts happening too much there are meds to help regulate it. I see my surgeon in a few weeks for my 6 month follow up and plan on confirming all of this with him also. In the meantime, increase my sodium levels. I am drinking so much Water, and with such a low sodium intake my body is flushing the fluids. He even said maybe swap 1 water a day for a gatorade. I didn't even realize my sodium was so low because I never paid attention to that number but when I went back through my tracking APP I am under 800 mg most days, my worst day in the last month was 1100 mg. (those are salted peanut days, haha)

13 hours ago, Sunnyer said:

How soon after surgery did your blood pressure go down?

I am hoping that my blood pressure will get lower once I start losing more pounds. As it is, I haven't really been measuring my blood pressure post surgery, although I probably should.

I have had a had time taking my blood pressure meds after the gastric sleeve, and I have even thrown up my pills a couple of times. I used to take them all at night, but now I take two pills at night and two in the morning, because four in one sitting is too much.

I am 5 months post op and I think I saw it drop around 3 months, that is when he had me cut my meds in half then about a month later off all meds and now it fluctuates between perfect and too low.

8 hours ago, AliceFD said:

My blood pressure is all over the map. This morning low, yesterday high, varying up and down through the day. It's hard to know when/if to take the meds.

Mine too! One week I am on meds and blacking out when I stand up. So I taper off, it looks great for a while and then my BP goes up too high again.