Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teeth Issues After Surgery?

I have heard that a lot of people after bariatric surgery start having issues with their teeth, but that there’s not a lot to f study on it. So I am wondering, after gastric sleeve, or even bypass, how many of you have seen an increase in cavities, sensitivity, dental erosion or even teeth breaking?

no - a lot of people do not have these issues. Although it can happen, it doesn't seem to be a common thing. I've been on this site over seven years, and have seen maybe two posts from people who are having tooth issues. I also talked to my dentist about this before I had surgery, and he said although he'd read about it in the professional literature, he's never seen it in his patients who've had WLS.

my dentist said decay is usually caused by acid, and the people who have these issues are likely frequent vomiters or have untreated GERD. I was still freaked out about it, so he prescribed a super high-fluoride toothpaste for me to use before going to bed, and he also puts a fluoride varnish on my teeth every six months. To be honest, I think he probably did this just to placate me because I was so worried about it.

if you stay on top of your supplements, take care of your teeth, and have regular dental checkups, you'll likely be fine.

Edited by catwoman7

That’s good to know. The things I was reading had me concerned. A lot of the side effects I could deal with, but that one freaked me out tremendously.

Just now, I♡BypassedMyPhatAss♡ said:

thanks - I neglected to tell the OP that we just had a discussion about this three days ago!

I read a bunch of horror stories before I had surgery and had to make myself stop. A lot of these stories are about things that rarely happen. You have to keep in mind that people post when they're having issues because they're looking for advice or support. The vast majority of us either never have complications or have minor ones that are easily "fixed" or managed. If things are all going well, people generally don't post about it. All those issues like tooth decay, bowel obstructions, etc, can certainly happen, but they're pretty rare. I had bypass. Strictures are the most common complication (besides dumping, which affects about 30% of us), but strictures only happen to 5% of us. And that's considered a "common complication" - if that gives you any idea...

Edited by catwoman7

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

thanks - I neglected to tell the OP that we just had a discussion about this three days ago!

You're quite welcome.

I think it’s pretty rare & that the horror stories may be popular simply as a scar tactic from those anti surgery or simply that they’re a good story. I wonder if the odd cases were actually from pre existing conditions or there was a potential for future dental issues like years of eating a poor diet. Like I had reflux before surgery so the possibility of damage from rising stomach acid is a pre existing possibility.

Personally, I’ve had no issues at all. My dentist regularly gives me a gold star - a lifetime ago he was my PE teacher LOL!

I have weak tooth enamel, lived with acute GERD for decades before WLS, and had lost some molars along the way. I have no GERD post WLS, and despite probably being a great candidate for post-surgery teeth issues, I have had absolutely zero issues.

Talk to your surgeon, dietician and dentist to get reassurance that this is a rare side effect. I think there's a lot of scare-mongering going on with WLS online. Much like trying to diagnose yourself via Dr.Google - don't. Talk your team, put your mind at ease.

Okay I went to the dentist today and he said my issues would not be related to my surgery. My chipped fillings he is guessing have to do with teeth clenching or grinding. Anyways, just wanted to update that it definitely doesn’t have to do with surgery.

Sugar is one of the main culprits when it comes to cavities, and acidic foods can contribute to dental erosion. There are a few things you can do to help prevent dental problems after bariatric surgery. First, make sure you are brushing and flossing regularly. This will help remove any sugar or acidic residue from your teeth. Second, try to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. This will help keep your teeth and gums healthy. Third, see your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings. Also, I've heard that a lot of dentists recommend using aligners that allow your teeth to remain in good shape. This will help catch any problems early and keep your teeth in good shape.

Edited by s1ssasLs2