Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My VSG was August 3rd. I started taking my Vitamin chewables that were recommended by my dietitian (Bariatric Fusion) when I started the pureed food stage. I am unable to tolerate them even slightly. I experienced the worst nausea I had experienced since surgery. I waited a day and tried again, and the nausea returned, almost immediately.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? What else did you try that worked?

I can't stand the chewables either, they made me terribly sick. I take the ProCare Heath one a day capsule and love them. They never upset my stomach. I also take their calcium chews (sort of like a starburst) and tolerate those very well.

i could not dew chewables either. i threw up every time. I ended up using bariatric pal Multivitamin capsules. Because of the high Iron in it i threw up. I had to lower the iron amount down from 45mg to 18mg and i stopped throwing up for the most part and i take another iron supplement later in the day because my last labs came back with my iron saturation was on the low side.

Same here, I don't know why they can't make bariatric chewable vitamins better. It is crazy, regular Vitamins are fine... makes no sense.

Regardless, my team wasn't too worried about me missing them in the first 2 weeks and then cleared me to take capsules at my 2 week follow up.

They did explain that if I struggled with the capsules to reach out because then it becomes more serious.

Luckily I have been perfectly fine with capsules and pills. Whew.

Reach out to your team, maybe they can help or suggest something.

Also, there are different brands you could try. I hated them all though, couldn't do it.

My Dr. had me taking solid Vitamins from day 1 - I use Kirkland brand for the most part (Multi Vitamin, Calcium, etc...). I can't take them on an empty stomach or I get nauseous, but as long as I eat a little something first I'm good.

2 hours ago, emilylauren26 said:

I take vitamin patches for this reason and they work well for me. They are from Patch Aid.

How far post op are you? Have you had any blood work since using the Patches? I am curious to see how they are working for you, if you don't mind sharing.

My team is 100% against them, they said they only have a 20% success rate for proper absorption.

7 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

How far post op are you? Have you had any blood work since using the Patches? I am curious to see how they are working for you, if you don't mind sharing.

My team is 100% against them, they said they only have a 20% success rate for proper absorption.

+1 on this. My team is also vehemently against Patches. I started taking the Bariatric Fusion one-a-day capsules and tolerate them well, but always looking for more options.

1 minute ago, djhobbes said:

+1 on this. My team is also vehemently against Patches. I started taking the Bariatric Fusion one-a-day capsules and tolerate them well, but always looking for more options.

First " vehemently" word of the day! I had to look it up, so I learned a new word today. Thanks!

Second: I couldn't stand the chewable in any form. Luckily my team approved me for capsules very early on.

I take these and so far so good with blood work. Much cheaper than bariatric fusion too. Amazon, $30 for 3 months worth.

image.thumb.png.5991503a4707bb378b407a05104e1430.png

My dietitian had me start taking a children's chewable multivitamin with food once I got to mashed food (for my program its an extra step between pureed and easy to chew). I have to make sure I have food in my stomach in order to take it - my choice is the Flinstones Complete daily children's chewable, it was recommended to me by my dietitian. I was also told to start taking B12, so I take one that dissolves in your mouth, its tiny and if I want to swallow it I'm also allowed to do that. It's only once a week and I take it with my children's Multi-Vitamin at night after I eat dinner.

What I'm not looking forward to is adding calcium citrate and then eventually Iron, they both supposedly can cause Constipation which is why the dietitian pushes starting those out a few months after surgery.

Speaking of Calcium citrate - who likes what they take?