Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here, Think I was Born Obese (my poor mom!)

I recently discovered these forums and I am super excited to explore and learn and hopefully help others, too.

I have been overweight my entire life. Even when I was in elementary school.

My dad gave me nicknames to try to get me to stop wanting to eat. Fat in the can, the Crisco Kid. He was funny and I love him dearly, but he had no idea of the forces behind my eating problems. And an old-school way of tough-love (never physical, but jokes, which can be bad too).

Anyway, In '92 I enlisted in the Army Infantry. Yes, I lost enough weight to get in, and Boot Camp took care of the rest. Then slowly gained weight back while I was in, despite all of the running and pushups and "pleasant nature hikes." Weight became a problem and I was called out all the time. But I always passed my physical fitness tests, and always did my job and stayed out of trouble, so I was mostly left alone.

Fast forward to today. Heaviest weight after the Army was 315 pounds (I am 6'2"), and now I am 275 pounds. Constantly up and down up and down. Discovered Engine 2 and stayed on it for 6 months, was down to my 250s, then simply could not stay on that diet, and pushed back up to my current 275.

Finally went to Ohio State University's (OSU's) Bariatric program and in-processed trying to use BCBS. BCBS requires the last 5 years of weight history. I am apparently supposed to be under a medically supervised diet for 6 months. See a Dietician (end of this month) and a Psychiatrist (end of this month), and find my own Therapist and start having sessions.

So no surgery until next year some time.

HOWEVER, I changing jobs in a few weeks, and will now have Cigna Health Insurance. My OSU coordinator looked up Cigna and said they did *not* have a 6 month supervised diet, so if things go well I should be able to have surgery before the end of the year.

SUPER excited!

Going with bypass, not sleeve, because I became diabetic this past year (only taking Metformin to control), and have routine bad heartburn. It is a better fit.

Anyway, that is me, and hopefully a new me is around the corner. I cannot wait for a fresh start in life, albeit a difficult start.

Thanks for listening :)

Go for it-- I had some problems after, mostly with nausea, but would NOT change a thing. Good luck!

My insurance also changed from BCBS to Cigna during the process. It made things SO much easier. No supervised diet, no therapy. Had my surgery less than 3 months after my first bariatric visit which I was SO thankful for. I can't imagine being here 6 weeks out and still have months of waiting to go. I did have a letter from my PCP documenting his support and reminding the reviewer of my arthritis in weight bearing joints (which is already so much better). Other than that easy peasy.

Had a great experience through OSU! Excited for you. :)

10 hours ago, ThinIce said:

My insurance also changed from BCBS to Cigna during the process. It made things SO much easier. No supervised diet, no therapy. Had my surgery less than 3 months after my first bariatric visit which I was SO thankful for. I can't imagine being here 6 weeks out and still have months of waiting to go. I did have a letter from my PCP documenting his support and reminding the reviewer of my arthritis in weight bearing joints (which is already so much better). Other than that easy peasy.

That is awesome to hear, thanks for letting me know this!

9 hours ago, james2021 said:

Had a great experience through OSU! Excited for you. :)

Thank you so much for letting me know. OSU has an amazing reputation! Maybe if I lived closer to Cleveland (I am in Dayton) I would have gone with the Cleveland Clinic (really really hard to top the clinic in my opinion!), but OSU is definitely way up there! Still an hour drive from me, but so worth it!

16 hours ago, oldandtired said:

Go for it-- I had some problems after, mostly with nausea, but would NOT change a thing. Good luck!

Almost 100% sure I will get the bypass. I keep playing mind tricks with myself, maybe I can lose the weight and keep it off if I try hard enough. But after 56 years of life I know me, and know when I'm lying to myself.

The surgery will help me for sure. I know it is not a cure-all, and I still need to work on everything else. But I believe the surgery will give me the edge I need to actually succeed this time for the rest of my life.

Hmmm, I have Cigna insurance and I had a 4 month pre-op process. Classes, appointments, etc.

7 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

Hmmm, I have Cigna insurance and I had a 4 month pre-op process. Classes, appointments, etc.

You know, I keep forgetting that each policy is based on what a company *wants* to cover, and Cigna is different depending on what the companies pain level is for premiums and costs.

I know this because for my current employer, I have had the same BCBS. Each year they tout how they have not raised rates, and we should be happy. HOWEVER, my family has been impacted by our insurance not covering procedures that were covered in the previous year. The company lowered coverage in order to keep the premium costs the same. Great for people without health issues, not so great for the rest of us.

Thanks for reminding me of this!

I have BCBS and was only required to 90 days of supervised diet?

Congratulations on starting this journey!!

My mom was from the dayton area - miamisburg (go Vikings!)

I am 53 yrs old, and had gastric bypass July 18. I'm doing well. My husband is hopeful for his surgery in December of this year.

I think once you decide on having weight loss surgery, your mindset changes. It was so much easier to follow the plan laid out for me once my "eye was on the prize."

Good luck to you!

49 minutes ago, joanie pony said:

Congratulations on starting this journey!!

My mom was from the dayton area - miamisburg (go Vikings!)

I am 53 yrs old, and had gastric bypass July 18. I'm doing well. My husband is hopeful for his surgery in December of this year.

I think once you decide on having weight loss surgery, your mindset changes. It was so much easier to follow the plan laid out for me once my "eye was on the prize."

Good luck to you!

Thanks so much for your encouraging words, I really appreciate it!