Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months post op hair loss

Hello! Seeking some help with Hair loss. I know it was bound to happen but I’m losing chunks every day. I meet Protein goals, take my Vitamins. Anything that has helped with some of you?

It happens to almost everyone. Just have to ride it out until your natural Hair loss cycle returns to it’s usual rate. The accelerated rate of loss is a stress response to all the changes you’re putting your body under. The hair you’re losing is dead & would have fallen out anyway - it’s just happening faster. Your new hair is still growing just at it’s usual rate.

Some will swear by supplements like Biotin but their hair loss slows in about the same 3 or 4 months time frame as those who don’t take or do anything. Save your money I say. Keep meeting your goals & relax - don’t add more stress.

Many of us with long hair cut our hair shorter so the new growth didn’t have as much to grow to catch to the length of the remaining hair.

As arabesque says. Its upsetting and worrying for sure. My hair has just about stopped shedding at 9 months out. I have had very long hair all my life and it went at the front of my head the worst. It looked to me to be scalp without hair, very scary. I took the leap and had a short cut and then a pixie cut. If I say so myself it looks good. So quick and easy to style every morning too.

Ride it out. Keep hitting calorie and Protein goals and just be patient.

I had really long hair. I cut it shorter at about 6 months out, and even by then, I was getting regrowth at the roots. The shorter cut (and not pixie short, just to roughly my shoulders) made it much less noticeable. To me, at least. I'm not sure anyone other than me, my husband and my hair stylist even noticed.

Biotin is more for the quality and health of the hair itself. It really does nothing for the scalp and roots. It doesn't slow or prevent Hair loss (no matter what the interwebs say lol ) The best thing to do is just wait it out. Honestly. I know it sucks (my hair always shed more because of pcos but now it's SHEDDING and it's bothersome, but I know it's normal and it'll stop, so I'm just riding it out) but meeting your Protein goals is the most important. Hair needs protein to grow, but it can't produce it. Without protein, your hair will shed and not be able to come back in. For me, I'm staying at the top of the protein requirement (80-90g per day) just to make sure my hair will have what it needs. I use hair masks and all that, but it's mostly because I like my hair soft, shiny, and not frizzy (I have hair that will poof out like a poodle if I don't keep it under control). They don't help with regrowth, but I like the routine of self care, and I like how my hair looks and feels after.

For me, a huge factor in making the Hair loss appear worse was the fact that my hair was extremely dry and dehydrated and needed some advanced treatments to restore that moisture (as a result of chemical color and heat processing). Once I got the moisture back in there, my hair didn’t appear as frail as it previously had.
food for thought.

Ditto what others have said - I had really bad Hair loss and unfortunately, it just took time. Like others, I cut it short and that helped the appearance a TON.

Three months after recovering from Covid I had Hair loss and I took Folexin to bring it back so I know it works. I am 3 months post op right now and dreading the whole hair loss thing AGAIN! But I have my supply of Folexin ready.

I just chopped my hair off from a sassy Bob to a sassy pixie cut. The Hair loss is getting on my nerves. I said I wouldn’t mind as my pre-surgery hair was so thick. But yuck. I’m tired of it. 😂

I just posted and it posted as Jordan from Chicago. I’ve noticed this before with some repeating posts. Glitch?