Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass stall in weight loss

I am 6 weeks post op from gastric bypass and have not lost weight in 4 days . Is this normal ?

It's normal. If you didn't lose weight for another couple weeks it would still be normal.

Get off the scale, it doesn't make you lose weight faster.

See? I didn't do the "scales lie" routine. I can change!

Good luck,

Tek

VERY NORMAL... and it will happen again and again. I went a whole month only loosing a few pounds... Just stay off that scale... I only weigh myself typically once a month.

3 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

VERY NORMAL... and it will happen again and again. I went a whole month only loosing a few pounds... Just stay off that scale... I only weigh myself typically once a month.

Only weighing in once a month! I don't think I can do it. I think that's the hardest thing to do. I'm down to weighing once a week now but will admit I was weighing everyday. I had to go down to every other day then twice a week and now I'm at once a week.

1 minute ago, Candigrl1 said:

Only weighing in once a month! I don't think I can do it. I think that's the hardest thing to do. I'm down to weighing once a week now but will admit I was weighing everyday. I had to go down to every other day then twice a week and now I'm at once a week.

LOL yea I can see it bothering people not knowing. But i like doing it this way that way i see huge changes instead of weighing myself everyday and seeing a pound gone here and a pound gain there. I weigh and take body measurements on the 4th of every month. Once in a while i may weigh myself half way to see how i am doing

Well I commend you for your fortitude liveaboard but no way could I wait a month or even a fortnight between weigh ins!

OP it is totally normal to see no loss in a 4 day or even a 2 or 3 week spell. These are stalls. We all experience them on our weight loss journeys. I hope you start to lose again soon - I suspect you will *really* soon!

:91_thumbsup:

I could not weigh at home for about the first 2.5(ish) years, so that would certainly kill some of you.

Once I could, I did it for a couple weeks until I drove myself crazy (not a far trip), then gave it up.

Once I stopped my monthly follow-ups, I didn't weigh between annual doctor visits. Still don't.

The scale no longer has power over me.

I guess when you go through a couple/three years of only weighing monthly you learn it's not the end of the world not to know your EXACT weight. Just keep following your plan, then rest happens on it's own.

Oh. scales lie. There!

Good luck,

Tek

5 hours ago, Candigrl1 said:

Don't feel bad for weighing in, there's literally no right or wrong way to do it. Except I'm probably doing it wrong, I weight myself multiple times a day because I'm a crazy person. Not always all the time, but I weigh myself at least once a day in the morning and I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all - unless it starts driving me crazy, otherwise it's not a problem.

I weigh myself at least once a day too. If I am at home all day, then I weigh myself several times a day. Stalls and fluctuations do not bother me at all. I meticulously track my food real time, so I know whether I am doing something wrong or not even before stepping in the scale. Too many factors play into weight. Like if I eat too many pickles, I will gain Water weight for a few days.

I understand others though. If the stalls and fluctuations bothered me, I wouldn't weigh too often either.

Edited by Tomo
typos

I always get my "official" weight first thing in the morning after I wake up. But I almost always weigh myself last thing before I go to sleep as well, and it's actually helped me get more sleep. I've noticed that the longer I sleep the more weight I lose (I've lost up to 2 lbs overnight sometimes), so I have been actively trying to get more sleep, going from an average of 4 or 5 hours a night to 7 or 8.

Stalls are normal. My teams warned us about them and stressed not to panic.

I think everyone has their own preference on who often they weigh themselves. There is no right or wrong answer here, just whatever works for you.

I weigh myself every Monday morning, basically in the same clothes. Tshirt, bra, underwear and flip flops. My surgery was on a Monday morning, so that is why I choose that day.

I do sometimes weigh myself randomly during the week but only document my Monday morning weight.

Thanks for all the encouragement! That helps to know this is “normal” .

I hit my first stall at 6 weeks and my surgeons team had not said anything about them. That's when I discovered this board and I was saved! I didn't lose or gain for 2 weeks. It was frustrating but when I started losing again it was with a vengeance. Like the others have said stay on the plan, keep eating like you should and once your body works things out, you'll be back to losing weight. Deeeeep breaths this is all a part of the process. You are NOT messing up.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app