Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm about to enter my week of pureed food. Any suggestions on what to eat? Is baby food surprisingly good or truly disgusting? It's only a week, so I'll get through it, but not looking forward to it.

haha I didn't even try the baby food. My Aunt loved baby food. She didn't have WLS, just liked to eat it. She bought it regularly.

I pretty much survived on refried Beans, pureed chicken salad and egg salad, taco meat and Soups. I also tried to make the ricotta bake but wasn't a big fan, which surprised me because I love lasagna.

Some people eat cheese, but per my plan I had to wait to have cheese at the "soft food" stage.

Edited by kcuster83

By the way, how do you get that cool image (shows progress and Win)? - Never mind, I figured it out! Thanks.

Edited by Jesse Liberty

I didn't dare to try baby food - I stuck with ricotta bake, hummus, refried Beans, etc. I didn't do any of the "put it in a blender" stuff either. I just couldn't bring myself to try it.

Fair warning: I dumped eating banana baby food on purees. Obviously, everyone is different but my stomach was not ready for that.

You can puree virtually anything. Thai chicken as a favorite, Chicken Alfredo (sans Fettuccini), even did Mongolian BBQ. Pulled pork. Any Protein you like, with a whatever little sauce you like for moisture, along with a veggie you like, just pureed. I was eating like a king, if a king ate 2-3 ounces of good food without chewing.

Things like mashed potatoes were not in my program, nor were typical refried Beans (too much fat, I learned later they make me dump anyhow). Focus on protein first, then veggies.

Puree is easy!

Good luck,

Tek

Thanks! You've sparked my imagination. I think I'll make one or two of the recipes I like in my InstaPot and see how it goes once I puree them.

1 hour ago, pintsizedmallrat said:

Fair warning: I dumped eating banana baby food on purees. Obviously, everyone is different but my stomach was not ready for that.

Hmm, that probably why my program actually doesn't want me eating fruit at all in the pureed stage. They even caution that raw fruits are not well tolerated early on and that they are best held until at least 2 months post-op.

Seems like it would be a good choice, but bariatric tummies don't seem always fit our preconceived notions.

I just stuck whatever I was making for the family's dinner in a blender and ate that. In fact I usually made 2 or 3 portions so that was my food for a day! It was absolutely fine and in fact after having only liquids for so long I thought it was sooo tasty and delicious.

You can purée most things. Just keep it moist & runny by using gravies, stock, broths, mayo, milk, etc. it will really just depend on what foods you enjoy. Some foods I puréed tasted disgusting like tinned fish -blah. I was allowed runny scrambled eggs & very milky instant rolled oats which I really enjoyed. I ate yoghurt every day, puréed Soups I made, mashed hard boiled eggs with mayo, etc.

Edited by Arabesque

One items that I tried and still use that kills two birds with one stone is Oikos Pro Yogurt. It has 20 grams of Protein so you get a shot of protein along with the puree type meal. I still use these for Breakfast nearly every day.

I never tried baby food. The thought of it was disgusting (weird how we feed it to babies, though!). I ate things like refried Beans and hummus a lot. And Greek yogurt.

Is Reser’s seafood salad acceptable during the purée stage? I’m 2.5 weeks post op and my doc has me on purée. I’ve done homemade refried Beans and can tolerate it some, scrambled eggs, broths, yogurts. I’m burnt on Protein Shakes and I’m trying to work on getting Protein from food as much as I can even though it’s quite difficult at this stage. I’m wondering if the seafood salad would help me at all or if I should avoid it at all cost