Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my program is against chewing gum? Even sugar free gum??!!

I have not asked why because when I was in the office for my 3 month follow up it was mentioned and I really didnt think anything about it as I am not a chewing gum type of person only on occasion and if I do chew gum its usually sugar free.

Anyway, has anyone had their program tell them that they cant chew gum? If so, I am curious as to why?

I think its because that by chewing the gum, your stomach thinks its getting food. It activates the digestive juices which includes stomach acid. You aren't going to be eating anything so the stomach acid may inflame the staple sites etc (immediately post op that is). The excess stomach acid may also cause issues with acid reflux and for some people excess stomach acid can seem like hunger.

While chewing the gum you may also swallow some air which can make your stomach gassy and cause bloating. sugar free gum sometimes has those sugar alcohols which can cause a lot of stomach discomfort if you have too much of them.

I imagine various surgeons/clinics have different guidelines around gum and their own reasons for it.

If you are aren't chewing too much of it and only occasionally you probably should be okay, but perhaps send off an email to the clinic as to their reasons and you can decide from there.

I was also told no on gum from my surgeon. Found this info online

not to chew gum after their weight loss surgery. First, some gums can have a lot of sugar, which contributes unnecessary calories into the diet, making it harder to lose weight. But, even if they opt for a sugar free version, chewing gum can cause problems in bariatric patients.

The act of chewing gum allows air to enter into your digestive tract. For people who haven’t had bariatric surgery, this may not cause any problems. But for bariatric patients having air in their digestive tract can lead to gas and abdominal discomfort.

In the first few weeks after gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, or lap band surgery, some patients report excess saliva. Chewing gum can also lead to saliva production, potentially compounding their problem.

Another problem with gum chewing after bariatric surgery is the potential for any swallowed gum to cause a blockage. After gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, or lap band surgery patients are educated to chew their food thoroughly to a paste like consistency. As much as you chew your piece of gum, it will never be such a consistency. The wad of gum can potentially lead to a blockage if swallowed. Most do not find the risk worth it.

A great place

huh.

My surgeon said it was because the risk of swallowing it was just too great, however small each patient thinks it may be. Our pouches / new stomachs are the perfect size for a piece of gum to muck it up. And unlike actual food, it doesn't dissolve. When you have to stick a grabber down someone's throat almost weekly, you tell your other patients "just don't chew gum."

Good luck,

Tek

Mine said that too. And guess what?
I still chew gum and don’t swallow air.
I didn’t try gum again for about 4 months but once I did I was like who is swallowing air with this? Just chew and chew and chew and keep your mouth and/or nose open. Idk

I agree that straws cause you to swallow air. Not gum.