Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op injections?

Has anyone else been given a script for injections of blood thinners for blood clots? Just had my 2 week appointment before my surgery and she said I need to give myself injections to help reduce the risks for blood clots postop and I am freaked out. I hate needles and now I have to stick myself for a month. My daughter already said no way in hell is she doing it for me.(she has a needle phobia too)

Yes - I give myself a shot the day before surgery, i believe they give me blood thinner in the hospital and then for a set number of days after (I forget off the top of my head how many days).

Here is a link to the video my program gave me. If you aren’t taking lovenox, yours may be different but this will give you the general idea.

https://www.lovenox.com/patient-self-injection-video

The needle is very thin and small. It’s given subcutaneous (in the fat). I was warned may bruise at the injection spot, and you will not give two shots in the same spot.

I take Ozempic shots once a week and they occasionally pinch for a SECOND. I’m expecting the lovenox to sting a little or burn a little more than the ozempic - just by the nature of the medicine.

Yes, they are super thin and small. It honestly hurts no more than a mosquito bite if even. I’ve to give them to myself with a previous surgery.

I was worried i would get the injections after surgery but i did not. But i did get them in the hospital and before surgery. The ones after surgery it is a device that injects and then a cover pops out and covers the needle. i had several after surgery in the hospital in my stomach. As much as i hate hate hate needles. It was not bad at all... barely felt it.

I had them for 28 days after surgery. After 21 days I binned the rest. Enough was enough.

I just had them while I was in the hospital - I didn't have to do them at home. But like someone else said, they're really not painful. The needles are pretty thin.

I was prescribed Lovenox as part of my post-op treatment protocol. As others have mentioned, the needles are really small, 27 ga. normally. I don't even feel them. Regardless, the benefit far outweighs the minor discomfort.

My pharmacy did not have any alcohol prep pads when I picked up my script (my Dr. sent me the script 2 weeks before surgery so I would be prepared when I got home). I went to Amazon and found them at a reasonable price and got a small box. Just remember to let the alcohol evaporate for a few seconds prior to injecting, to minimize discomfort from the alcohol.

I was given shots in the hospital and then nothing once I was home. Maybe it depends on your risk factors?

I was given a prescription for lovenox when I left the hospital. I had to do one injection a day for 14 days. It was not that bad. Once I got over the idea of having to do it on my own, it wasn’t awful. Some days it stung for a minute or two, some days it was painless. I know I’d rather do that than end up with a blood clot.