Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my liquid (liver shrinking) diet tomorrow

Surgery is on the 16th, tomorrow is day one of my high Protein liquid diet. We had 4 options to choose from … I’m going with the option that is 3 Fairlife shakes, 72 ounce of no sugar added juice and 64+ ounces of Water and sugar free liquids/jello/broth. There are 7 days of that along with 1 day of full clear liquids… and then of course my blood thinner injections start (I think it’s one pre-op and 9 or ten post of of the injections).

I’m more nervous than excited at this point, but I’m sure my emotions will be all over the place between now and surgery day.

For those of you that have full liquid pre-op or already did the liquid post op - any tricks to dealing with not chewing for a couple weeks?

I’m worried how I will do with drinking everything for the next week leading up to surgery and then in post op phase. Will I miss that sensation?

I thought about freezing some juice and blending into a slushy to eat… and of course there is Jello. But other than that… any ideas?

I don’t do great with artificial sweeteners (digestive) - but I can tolerate small amounts. Any suggestions, thoughts or advice appreciated.

Thank you!

Walmart has sugar free popsicles that you can bite, unless you have sensitive teeth. Ocean Spray has 5 calorie juices, V8 splash diet isn't bad, sugar free Jello from the cold case so you can chew. Sounds horrible, but I also during that time got a pack of bouillon cubes because I want allowed broth unless it was Protein added. I would lick the cube when I would get cravings. The cube lasted my entire liquid diet, so I didn't do it often. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for those suggestions. I will look into the ones I can have (I think V8 splash is ok post op, but not pre-op). I haven’t had luck with the sugar free Jello - the aspartame upsets my stomach. I’m trying simply delish jello to see how I tolerate that. So far erythritol doesn’t seem to bother me in other things I’ve tried but I’m not sure about the stevia. I guess I’ll see in a few days.

Thankfully I’m allowed broth - that is my go to when I don’t feel well. I imagine I will be reaching for the bouillon cubes to make a cup of broth both to help with my Fluid intake and to satisfy my craving for something savory - because everything else I’m allowed is rather sweet.

I have yet to find a sugar free Popsicle that doesn’t have aspartame in it - which is my issue I think.

I’m trying to freeze some different zero calorie drinks to see if maybe being super cold and very small quantities is more tolerable.

When I hit the purée stage I’m going to try to blend some fruit into popsicles - but pre-op I am not allowed to do that.

I’m sure I’m over thinking and worrying about things needlessly… but I very much appreciate your suggestions. I’m going to check out the V8 splash and ocean spray to see which flavors might work.

Lucky you, my liver shrinking diet was 2 weeks!

If it's the act of chewing you miss, try chewing on some crushed ice cubes in Water.

I saw multiple people talk about 2 & 3 week pre-op diets, so I am grateful for 8 days!

I’m hoping the next week flies by and I don’t have time to miss it, but ice may be the trick. Thank you!

17 hours ago, LookingForward22 said:

Surgery is on the 16th, tomorrow is day one of my high Protein liquid diet. We had 4 options to choose from … I’m going with the option that is 3 Fairlife shakes, 72 ounce of no sugar added juice and 64+ ounces of Water and sugar free liquids/jello/broth. There are 7 days of that along with 1 day of full clear liquids… and then of course my blood thinner injections start (I think it’s one pre-op and 9 or ten post of of the injections).

I’m more nervous than excited at this point, but I’m sure my emotions will be all over the place between now and surgery day.

For those of you that have full liquid pre-op or already did the liquid post op - any tricks to dealing with not chewing for a couple weeks?

I’m worried how I will do with drinking everything for the next week leading up to surgery and then in post op phase. Will I miss that sensation?

I thought about freezing some juice and blending into a slushy to eat… and of course there is Jello. But other than that… any ideas?

I don’t do great with artificial sweeteners (digestive) - but I can tolerate small amounts. Any suggestions, thoughts or advice appreciated.

Thank you!

I am a week into a 2 week preop, it hasn't been bad and the numbers going down on the scale have been a help to keep me going! You can do it!

Edited by SuziDavis

My pre-op diet was two weeks. The first few days were tough; I was hungry all the time, and nothing was satisfying. That coupled with the fact that I was drinking 5 shakes (my nutritionist suggested the Carnation Light Start) every day and I was tired of everything being sweet. Past the first few days, things improved dramatically. I generally didn't feel like I was constantly starving, and I started adding broth & bouillon on occasion to deviate from the constant sweetness.

4 hours ago, SuziDavis said:

I am a week into a 2 week preop, it hasn't been bad and the numbers going down on the scale have been a help to keep me going! You can do it!

Thank you! My pre-op weightloss kinda froze for the last two weeks. I am hoping the liquid diet gives me a nudge to loose another 10 pounds or so before the procedure (mine is only 8 days). I figure every pound I loose before is one I don't need to loose after.

Best of luck over the next week... I will look forward to seeing your progress and cheering you on!

1 hour ago, djhobbes said:

I started adding broth & bouillon on occasion to deviate from the constant sweetness.

Thankfully I looked at my plan again this morning and noticed I had my juice total wrong - its only 24 oz a day (not 72) becasue between the juice and the shakes... I was thinking the sweetness would be unbearable. Lots of ice helped cut the juice sweetness. Around 4pm I couldn't take one more sweet sip - so I had some broth to cut the sweetness.

15 hours ago, LookingForward22 said:

Thank you! My pre-op weightloss kinda froze for the last two weeks. I am hoping the liquid diet gives me a nudge to loose another 10 pounds or so before the procedure (mine is only 8 days). I figure every pound I loose before is one I don't need to loose after.

Best of luck over the next week... I will look forward to seeing your progress and cheering you on!

I am the 17th! So good luck!!!