Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Even running around, my heart rate is 55 bpm. I'm kind of concerned. I'll see the surgeon for my post-op one year appointment later this month. Please let me know your experience on this issue. Kind of worried. I know our organs need a certain amount of blood flow to stay healthy. I should be eating 1200 cal as per my doctor. He told me that months ago. I'm still around 1000 cal at 12 months post-op. It's not an appetite problem (it has increased), but it's a mind problem. I'm working on it though, and it's a trial and error thing for finding maintenance level. Other than that, I feel good these day, blood tests are perfect (even my once high cholesterol is normal) but I really don't want a pacemaker.

08/07/2022 03:30 PM, Tomo said:

Even running around, my heart rate is 55 bpm. I'm kind of concerned. I'll see the surgeon for my post-op one year appointment later this month. Please let me know your experience on this issue. Kind of worried. I know our organs need a certain amount of blood flow to stay healthy. I should be eating 1200 cal as per my doctor. He told me that months ago. I'm still around 1000 cal at 12 months post-op. It's not an appetite problem (it has increased), but it's a mind problem. I'm working on it though, and it's a trial and error thing for finding maintenance level. Other than that, I feel good these day, blood tests are perfect (even my once high cholesterol is normal) but I really don't want a pacemaker.

Don’t panic! The same thing happened to me!! My heart rate is really low now since I had surgery a year and a half ago. My heart rate will even drop to the high 40s! I spoke to my doctor and he said as long as I don’t feel dizzy or weak then I’m okay. It’s just a side effect of the weight loss. I feel perfectly fine! I would still touch base with your doctor though and discuss it with them. Better to be safe! 💕

Same thing happened to me. I was worried as well and saw my cardiologist and said it was ok due to the weight loss... My normal resting heart rate is now around 50-55. it does go up when i do activities. My blood pressure also now is low-normal range. Before it was high.

My general heart rate is low too three years out & I have low blood pressure. I was even asked if I was an athlete because my pulse was so slow when I was in hospital last year which was hilarious to me & my family & friends. I’ve spoken to my my surgeon’s colleague & my GP because I was concerned about potential bradycardia but they’re okay with it - guess it’s not low enough. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think it all contributes to my fairly sudden drops in energy - race about & then nope need to stop right now. I bought a BP monitor & tracked & recorded my BP & pulse fir a few months. I’d would note what activities I had been doing if it was higher or lower then usual.

I am almost 1 year post surgery and down 114 pounds. My resting heart rate is 47 or so most days and atleast once a day it drops to the low 40s and I get an alarm on my Apple Watch. I saw my surgeon who did not think it was a huge concern but referred me back to my Primary who I see later this week. I don't think it is a big deal personally since I lost so much weight and work out 60-90 minutes per day.

Thank you all so much for your replies. Both my blood pressure and heart rate are low but I have no other symptoms. Hearing from all of you calms me.

My resting heart rate got down to the high 30s, and I did end up getting a pacemaker. The cardiologist said that it is rare, but bradycardia can result from massive weight loss. He also said that it wouldn't be a major concern on its own, but the symptoms I was experiencing (fatigue, weakness, edema) warranted a pacemaker. I had the dubious honor of being the youngest patient in whom he has implanted a pacemaker. Anyway, I don't say this to alarm you, but that a low heart rate is not necessarily a problem per se if you are not experiencing symptoms because of it. However, definitely mention it to your surgeon and/or PCP and get it checked out because you don't want to mess around with heart problems.

It’s a good thing! It means your heart doesn’t have to work as hard to pump blood. It’s normal with eating normal amounts and especially with an active lifestyle. Mine has gone down a lot too. When I was active years ago, mine would get down to the high 30s in my sleep. It’s bragging rights!