Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre qualifications for surgery

I am new here and have so many questions but for now I was wondering if anyone had their surgery through Carrum Health? I am currently in the process and I was curious to know if anyone could tell me about how long it takes to get the surgery once you’ve began the process. I’m very excited but a little inpatient, trying not to be.

I didn’t have surgery with Carrum but can tell you that the length of time the process takes is dictated mostly by the insurance company. Some require a 3 or 6 month weight loss attempt where a doctor weighs you every month. Also most require a psyc evaluation and you may also have to do some medical tests to determine you are fit for surgery to name a few of the common requirements. Beyond that, it will just depend on how busy your doctor is. Once I had completed my requirements it was about a month till my surgery.

15 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I didn’t have surgery with Carrum but can tell you that the length of time the process takes is dictated mostly by the insurance company. Some require a 3 or 6 month weight loss attempt where a doctor weighs you every month. Also most require a psyc evaluation and you may also have to do some medical tests to determine you are fit for surgery to name a few of the common requirements. Beyond that, it will just depend on how busy your doctor is. Once I had completed my requirements it was about a month till my surgery.

I also didn't have surgery with Carrum but my insurance required 6 months and after completing all the required steps by insurance and doctors they also scheduled me a month out.

I am new here and have so many questions but for now I was wondering if anyone had their surgery through Carrum Health? I am currently in the process and I was curious to know if anyone could tell me about how long it takes to get the surgery once you’ve began the process. I’m very excited but a little inpatient, trying not to be.

I like you am very impatient. I started my journey in January and am ready to get the surgery. Ive had several procedures I had to do first and seemed like no one was scheduling as fast as I wanted them to. Im scheduled for my pre op appointment on the 15th so not much longer.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

39 minutes ago, lroever said:

I like you am very impatient. I started my journey in January and am ready to get the surgery. Ive had several procedures I had to do first and seemed like no one was scheduling as fast as I wanted them to. Im scheduled for my pre op appointment on the 15th so not much longer.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh my goodness that is a very long time to wait. I hope it won’t take me that long to get approved as I know my patience will wear me down. I’m glad to hear you have your surgery scheduled now. I hope everything works out well and am looking forward to hear about your progress. Best of luck!! Thank you for replying!

13 minutes ago, Readyforchange75 said:

Oh my goodness that is a very long time to wait. I hope it won’t take me that long to get approved as I know my patience will wear me down. I’m glad to hear you have your surgery scheduled now. I hope everything works out well and am looking forward to hear about your progress. Best of luck!! Thank you for replying!

It's pretty normal for it to take 6 months to a year to get through all the steps. I'm going on 2.5 years, but I know I'm an edge case. Keep in mind that this is life changing surgery. Not only do you have to jump through a lot of hoops, but I think it's good that it takes a while because you need to mentally prepare yourself for this change. If you go into this thinking bariatric surgery will "fix" you, it's won't. Surgery is a tool, but the hardest part is the mental changes needed to be successful.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:08 AM, SpartanMaker said:

It's pretty normal for it to take 6 months to a year to get through all the steps. I'm going on 2.5 years, but I know I'm an edge case. Keep in mind that this is life changing surgery. Not only do you have to jump through a lot of hoops, but I think it's good that it takes a while because you need to mentally prepare yourself for this change. If you go into this thinking bariatric surgery will "fix" you, it's won't. Surgery is a tool, but the hardest part is the mental changes needed to be successful.

I agree 100% and this is something I’ve been thinking about for almost two years now. I waited because I knew I needed to be mentally prepared. I am going into this eyes wide open. Had I known it took this long I would have started the process as soon as I started thinking I might possibly want the surgery. I’m not saying I want it right now I’ve just been curious as to how long it will take. I understand it’s a process and I definitely do not think it will “fix” me. I am fully aware it is a tool and there are so many lifestyle changes that I have already started making. I’m prepared to put in the work that I know is going to be hard, which is why I waited so long to get started.