Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting Vape/Smoking

6 hours ago, lindajlue said:

I am right there with you. I am now vaping 2.5 mg down from 5mg. I plan on going to 0 but I am sure nervous about it. My surgery will probably be in September.

You may be surprised. Once you get that low on nicotine it’s more just the physical habit that you are addicted to.

I am still pre-surgery. I have to stop smoking at least 2 months. I just stopped. Well, I finished my pack so a day later I did. My thoughts on this is that I HATE to start **** over. So once I stopped and was in a few days, I did not want to start again! That gave me motivation to get past any urges. Although I have gained 12 pounds! I am at 48 days!

Edited by jmkmom

Congrats on quitting smoking. It is truly an addiction and just thoughts about how hard it is going to be makes me anxious. Stopping caffeine, food and nicotine, is a lot.

1 minute ago, lindajlue said:

Congrats on quitting smoking. It is truly an addiction and just thoughts about how hard it is going to be makes me anxious. Stopping caffeine, food and nicotine, is a lot.

I agree all of it is over whelming some days. I have not stopped soda or coffee yet, gonna work on that this week. I find the mind likes to play tricks on you. But we have to be stronger. Or at least that is what I think haha

My PCP is giving me problems about approving me for surgery even after my cardiac clearance and psych clearance. They called me to schedule then this. I have been really stressed about it and that sure isn't helping my vaping or eating.

8 hours ago, lindajlue said:

My PCP is giving me problems about approving me for surgery even after my cardiac clearance and psych clearance. They called me to schedule then this. I have been really stressed about it and that sure isn't helping my vaping or eating.

Wow. I am sorry. What will make it better? Focus on you and getting things better.

17 hours ago, jmkmom said:

I am still pre-surgery. I have to stop smoking at least 2 months. I just stopped. Well, I finished my pack so a day later I did. My thoughts on this is that I HATE to start **** over. So once I stopped and was in a few days, I did not want to start again! That gave me motivation to get past any urges. Although I have gained 12 pounds! I am at 48 days!

Absolutely. That helped me too. I kept reminding myself that even if I was struggling with wanting it, I was still a former smoker. The second I had one puff I would be a smoker (or vaper) again which meant I would have to go through those first couple days again of quitting at some point and I really didn’t want to do that. Everyone has there little mantra or thought that helps get them through it and for me that was it.

I was not a smoker but I was highly addicted to pain killers. I am now 17 days sober. It's not easy. It sucks. And you'll be angry and feel like crap. You just need to keep yourself busy and stay positive. The only thing that helps is time. And just remember... you'll feel so much better. And save lots of money if you're not buying cigarettes [emoji1787][emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Our state health department offered free “quit tobacco” help with Patches or gum. You might do a google search

Arty I am so proud of you. I know it is not easy. My daughter has been almost 3 yrs clean. I need to keep telling myself if you guys can kick your addictions I can to. Thank you.

It was the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life, I won't lie. But it gets better! You can do it. [emoji170]

Arty I am so proud of you. I know it is not easy. My daughter has been almost 3 yrs clean. I need to keep telling myself if you guys can kick your addictions I can to. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/3/2022 at 10:01 AM, Gucci73 said:

This. I honestly didn’t mean to quit, ( before testing and all that jazz), but my husband accidentally bought zero nicotine vape juice and we didn’t even know for several weeks ( I will add here that during those weeks I did have strange cravings for cigarettes- but didn’t give in). Just had nicotine and cotitine (?) testing and it was zero! I still vape from time to time, but no nicotine is awesome!

This is exactly what I did. I went from the high salt nicotine to zero nicotine and had zero symptoms of giving up nicotine. It was like magic. It took three weeks for me to test nicotine and cotinine free on the Amazon strip tests, and at 4 weeks, I also tested negative on the blood test ordered by the surgeon's office.

20 hours ago, NinaWelch said:

Quitting vaping is a big step, and it's completely normal to feel tired, irritable, and even a bit angry when you first start.

Finding activities you enjoy can be a great distraction and help take your mind off vaping.

Products like Patches or gum can help you gradually reduce your nicotine intake, making the process more manageable.

And if you ever have questions, there is some info on how to recharge a disposable vape, which you might find helpful, too.

Edited by NinaWelch

I vape, and i got my gastric sleeve surgery next month on the 15th, i have been advised to quite 2 weeks previous to my surgery