Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting Vape/Smoking

Does anyone have any tips to quit vaping? My very first appointment is schedule for Sept.7 and u had ti watch orientation videos. It stated that you have to be nicotine free for surgery and the best time to quit is now. I tried to quit over the weekend and felt so tired, angry and irritable.

Sent from my SM-N981U using BariatricPal mobile app

Try lowering the amount of nicotine you are vaping in. So if you are at 6mg go down to 3 mg and then move on to 0 mg. That's what helped me.

Try lowering the amount of nicotine you are vaping in. So if you are at 6mg go down to 3 mg and then move on to 0 mg. That's what helped me.

Same. I went from 6mg to 3mg,.. Then 10 days before I vaped a zero nicotine candy grape flavor.

Yep, everyone I know who quit did exactly what they mentioned above.

Slowly decrease the nicotine until they were vaping/smoking with zero nicotine and then even slowly stopped that.

I have never smoked, so I only know what my friends/family have done.

I wish you the best, you can do it!

i dont smoke tobacco but my paperwork for my surgery said for those that were having issues with quitting for surgery to let the surgeon know and that they would prescribe something. Might be worth asking.

On 08/02/2022 at 20:55, Candigrl1 said:

This. I honestly didn’t mean to quit, ( before testing and all that jazz), but my husband accidentally bought zero nicotine vape juice and we didn’t even know for several weeks ( I will add here that during those weeks I did have strange cravings for cigarettes- but didn’t give in). Just had nicotine and cotitine (?) testing and it was zero! I still vape from time to time, but no nicotine is awesome!

I was going to recommend lowering the nicotine as well. That’s how I did it. By the time you are fine vaping zero you have kicked the nicotine and just have to quit the habit. For that dumm dumm lollipops or sugar free popsicles if you are on pre op diet will keep your hands and mouth busy.

I would add start as soon as possible. The longer you are free from the habit the better. You will be going through more changes during the pre op and post op diets and ideally you will be over the vaping thing totally by then.

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

I would add start as soon as possible. The longer you are free from the habit the better. You will be going through more changes during the pre op and post op diets and ideally you will be over the vaping thing totally by then.

Yes, this is quite true. I stopped two weeks before surgery and ended up having my oxygen levels drop during the surgery. From what I heard it probably wouldn't have happened if I stopped vaping sooner rather than later.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:01 AM, Gucci73 said:

This. I honestly didn’t mean to quit, ( before testing and all that jazz), but my husband accidentally bought zero nicotine vape juice and we didn’t even know for several weeks ( I will add here that during those weeks I did have strange cravings for cigarettes- but didn’t give in). Just had nicotine and cotitine (?) testing and it was zero! I still vape from time to time, but no nicotine is awesome!

Were you still vaping without nicotine when you were tested?

4 minutes ago, lindajlue said:

I don't think they tested me at all.

Edited by Candigrl1

3 hours ago, lindajlue said:

I wouldn’t keep vaping even zero nicotine. You may pass the test I’m honestly not sure but even the zero nicotine can cause issues during surgery I have heard. Not worth having complications. Plus it’s really freeing to not have to worry about bringing a vape and juice and charging it all the time. All of that you don’t realize what a pain it is until you quit and are free of doing all that.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:34 PM, momo2 said:

Does anyone have any tips to quit vaping? My very first appointment is schedule for Sept.7 and u had ti watch orientation videos. It stated that you have to be nicotine free for surgery and the best time to quit is now. I tried to quit over the weekend and felt so tired, angry and irritable.

Sent from my SM-N981U using BariatricPal mobile app

I need to quick smoking as well. My surgery date is 9/28. My surgeon said I needed to be nicotine free 3 weeks before pre surgical testing. My testing is on 8/31, so I need to quit on 8/10. Lots of people will have tips... get suckers or jolly ranchers, write in a journal, knit, anything that keeps you busy and your hands moving. Honestly though, in the past when I quit for significant periods of time I just quit cold turkey. It only sucks bad the first few days to a week. After that, it is all habit and not physical. Hopefully it's easier for you than you think. It's soooo worth it as well.

My doctor isn't making me stop vaping, but I've read enough to know that smoking and vaping can cause ulcers after surgery.

So I'm doing what was suggested above - just ordered some zero mg eliquid in my favorite flavor (Earl Grey Tea with a hint of peach) and I'll start mixing that with my 3 mg, then move down to the zero. I'd love to quit completely by my surgery date in October.

I am right there with you. I am now vaping 2.5 mg down from 5mg. I plan on going to 0 but I am sure nervous about it. My surgery will probably be in September.