Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had Gastric Sleeve surgery in January of 2021. In the 18 or so months since, I have regained about 10 pounds, even though I try to make healthy choices and exercise daily. In an effort to get this under control before it's too late, I have tried a variety of prescription medications to help curb my appetite. Initially, I used Wegovy, and it was a miracle drug, but with the side effects and the cost after the 6-month trial period, I felt it was unrealistic to continue. Then I tried Tomiramate, with terrible side effects. Finally, I began taking Phentermine, which has no effects whatsoever on my appetite. I have now begun to take Plenity, but I am skeptical that it will be successful. First, it is taken before meals in order to fill the stomach so that you can't eat as much. I feel that if eating large meals were my problem, the sleeve is already handling that; however, that is not my problem. My problem is that I am literally hungry all the time. It must be my stage of life (I'm 54). I am not really a nervous eater, nor do I really use food for psychological reasons. I am always at the mercy of my hormones. Like I said, I am pretty much hungry all the time, but when I have fluctuations in my sugar levels, I am ravenous. I have been diagnosed as "glucose intolerant" but I am not diabetic.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I have tried all the dietician's recommendations (cutting back on carbs, packing on Protein, staying hydrated, exercise) but nothing seems to help. I was put on Plenity as a last ditch effort, but it hasn't helped so far. I was told to give it a month, because people seem to jump ship with Plenity before it has been given a chance to work (though, I am not sure what's the point of giving it time as I would think this should work immediately).

Has anyone else tried Plenity? If I give it time, will I get some sort of impact? Have any of you conquered this problem, and what did you do?

Hi Newbie,

I'm concerned about Plenity causing some sort of blockage. Is this prescription? Did your Surgeon approve? My first thought with blood sugar issues is are you keeping carbs low? How is your Protein intake? How much Water are you drinking? Try to get back to basics. Are you eating more that 1200 Calories? Also, remember that from the beginning of surgery, you calorie intake is very low so your body may have adjusted to survive on very low calories. Make sure you're staying within the calorie range your doctor stated for maintenance and if you're hungry all the time, try filling up on water and having at least 60 - 80 grams of protein daily. cutting back on carbs is a great idea because you tend to be hungrier more quickly after ingesting carbs.

10lbs of regain is COMPLETELY within the normal/expected bounds of maintenance weight fluctuations. Most all folks will regain a handful of pounds after hitting their lowest weight and going into maintenance. I am shocked that any doctor would prescribe weight loss meds, particularly Plenity, for a 10lb regain at 18 moths post op. You are exactly right in that it expands in the stomach to limit your intake, which is exactly what WLS did (limit intake). I would be concerned about malnutrition, blockages, and all other sort of potential complication. Was the prescribing doctor your bariatric surgeon? Have you discussed this with your bariatric team? Have you tried working with a registered dietitian who specializes in bariatrics?

Additionally, the resurgence of hunger after WLS is very normal and often coincides with maintenance. All that to say, it sounds like you are actually exactly where you should be given your status post-op and weight loss meds are probably not the best solution.

I totally agree, a 10lb regain at 18 months seems not unusual after the sleeve. Can you go right back to your post op diet - Protein first, veg second, and then stop when you're full? Eat slowly, no Water for half an hour but drink plenty of water between meals? Are you tracking religiously - could slider foods or high calorie low nutrient foods have become the norm for you?

Also, if you could fill in your weight loss statistics in your profile it would really help people to advise you.

As the others have said it is very, very common to experience a 10lb+/- bounce back regain in your second or third year. Some gain may be attributed to your body resettling. Some gain may be to put you at a weight that is what your body set point really is now. Some may be a little complacency. Some may be the return of your hunger. Some may be changes you’ve made so your eating plan better complements your life. Some may be attributed to changes in medication or general health.

Have to admit I too, would question a doctor who would prescribe medication to manage a 10lb weight gain. The points raised by @Sleeve me alone! would be a concern especially with a medication which swells in your tummy. Did your doctor request a blood test to assess your hormonal levels or to see if anything was lacking. At your age yes peri menopausal or menopausal side effects could have contributed to your gain. I put on about 15kgs very quickly when I became peri menopausal pushing me to 91kg & couldn’t lose any of it. It’s what made me turn to surgery. It’s an area to explore further.

But I’d also go back to your surgeon & see what they have to say.They’ve got the experience & knowledge to give you the best advice. And maybe find a therapist who can support you identify ways to manage your hunger in case there are other issues at play too.

What do you use for food tracking? you might be eating more than you think if you start weighing and logging.

Do you track your emotions when you eat or boredom level? Boredom or stress can be sneaky with food.

have you consulted a nutritionalist recently?

Edited by KimA-GA