Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a gastric sleeve surgery 12 years ago. I have lots so much weight. I now weigh 95 pounds. I am 5 feet 3 inches. I have a eating disorder. I have to gain weight! Does anyone else have an eating disorder?

I had to find a therapist to help me because after I had my surgery I swapped one type of disordered thinking (over eating obsessively) for another (being so afraid of eating and gaining weight that I was severely restricting what I ate). You definitely need to find a therapist for it (it's really helping me so much). The surgery is a tool to help us get healthy. If we use it as a way to punish ourselves physically and mentally, we're doing just as much (or even more) harm than before we had the surgery. Definitely find a therapist and be vulnerable, open, raw, and honest in therapy. It's the only way to start to get back on track and get healthy. I still struggle every day. But I'm getting better every day, little by little.

Thank you for reply. I am in treatment for my eating disorder. The problem is the dietitian wants me to eat regular meal portion. Of course, I can’t eat regular portions. I need advice on how to gain weight with a gastric sleeve.

Could add a daily calorie enhanced drink to your meal plan. Ensure is higher calorie. Doesn’t require increase in portion for that at least.

Did your surgeon use a dietician? If so maybe use that one. My surgeon has a wonderful that works with both spectrums of weight along with diabetes. Just a thought. Good luck to you

1 hour ago, Chriscat said:

Thank you for reply. I am in treatment for my eating disorder. The problem is the dietitian wants me to eat regular meal portion. Of course, I can’t eat regular portions. I need advice on how to gain weight with a gastric sleeve.

Try adding Snacks. It was the only way I could slow my weight loss after I reached my goal but was unable to eat a recommended portion size. I did it with the support of my dietician & chose foods that were nutritionally sound. I still snack to reach the calories I need to maintain but not as often as I did initially because I can usually eat a portion size now. So snacking would help you increase your calories to gain. You could also graze on your left overs - finish your lunch portion for afternoon tea - which would satisfy your dietician’s advice.

Try adding another serve of whole/multigrain carbs, another serve of fruit, a Protein Bar, cheese, yoghurt, chia pudding, hummus, etc. You can snack on raw vegetables too. I found some baked fava Beans & chick peas snacks (which are handy when travelling too). I added powdered milk to milk to enrich (it becomes sweet though so I only did it when making chia pudding). I also used non diet dressing on salads.

I know it can be challenging because you may not feel hungry or feel like eating & you likely don’t want to establish bad food & eating habits again either. I know that’s how I felt & still feel.

Ask your dietician for more specific suggestions than just eat more especially when you physically can’t.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

4 hours ago, Chriscat said:

If you find you are having a hard time not restricting with the smaller portions you have to eat with the sleeve, add a higher calorie Meal Replacement shake in between meals (don't actually replace a meal, but if you eat 3x a day, have the full calorie meal replacement as a 4th meal). Also, maybe add a snack in there somewhere if you haven't already.

I had a gastric sleeve surgery 12 years ago. I have lots so much weight. I now weigh 95 pounds. I am 5 feet 3 inches. I have a eating disorder. I have to gain weight! Does anyone else have an eating disorder?

Is the reason you can't gain weight is because of your eating disorder? Or is because the limits of your sleeve?

If it is anorexia or bulemia, then I believe only the therapist can really help you want to eat more calories to gain weight. However, if it is because of the sleeve limitations, perhaps your surgeon can determine if there is a physical problem.

I want to give you hints on how to gain weight but because you mentioned an eating disorder, I am a bit confused.

Thank you for reply. I can’t eat regular portions. I need advice on how to gain weight with a gastric sleeve.
Ah ok, it isn't your eating disorder that is stopping you from eating. There are actually weight gain Protein Shakes that are pretty good. High calorie. I used to buy them for my father because he couldn't keep weight on.. Also, plenty of high calorie low volume foods like Peanut Butter, avocado... Etc. that you can add to your meals.

As others have mentioned, you don’t necessarily have to eat more volume to get more calories in. You can work with your nutritionist to get in more healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, dressings, oils, etc. If you have trouble with that, though the shakes would be a good option as well.