Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. My name is Steve and on the 30th of August I'll be having my gastric sleeve surgery done. On the 9th I start my pre op diet. I've built it up in my mind that this is truly going to be a life changing surgery. I've struggled for much of my adulthood to hold down a job and have a balanced social life. I am currently 374 pounds and 6'2. I know the surgery won't be a magic 🪄 if you will, but I'm hoping it will serve as a catalyst to a better quality of life. I'm a bit nervous about the pre-op diet which begins on the ninth of July from the standpoint of how hungry I envision myself being. I live in Northern California and am traveling down to Tijuana for the surgery. I notice on some posts people are looking for a surgery buddy or something to that effect and I suppose I may be open to that. I rarely if ever post on any site or forum ( I don't use social Media) but reading many of your posts inspired me to say something.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome, Steve. I didn't have much success with the pre-op diet (kept "cheating" because I was so hungry and miserable), but I got through it eventually -- and so will you. Best of luck with your surgery!

Hi Steve! Wishing you the best of luck. That is quite a while to be on the pre-op diet but I’m sure you’ll do just great! The pre-op diet was difficult for me but having the surgery date right around the corner really kept me motivated to stay on track.

Congratulations on your decision Steve! I think you have the right mindset. It’s not a magic wand. It’s just a tool in your toolbox of nutrition, exercise, mental health and support. I had the sleeve March 1st. If you get through the first 3 days of the preop diet and don’t give in, it will pay off big time that was the hardest for me. After that it was easier & easier everyday and made the post op diet easier as well. Good luck to you.

Hi and welcome to the forums Steve 👋.

Pre op diets vary. Some can only have liquids and others can have a small meal once a day on their pre op diets. I was allowed to have a small meal, so to me pre op diet wasn't so bad. I feel like my post op diet is harder because it's three weeks of liquids only. It's pretty extreme as far as post op diets go. So along with the weakness of recovering from surgery, only having liquids is tough imo.

The struggle is worth it tho. You'll do fabulous! Best wishes on your surgery and journey!

I did a pre-pre-op diet where I basically weaned myself off of all my go-to foods so it made the diet more bearable. It wasn't fun, but I got through it (and lost 18 pounds in that 2 week time span). I hope everything goes well for you and as it was stated earlier... the first three or four days is definitely the most difficult.

Welcome and good luck with your journey Steve. You will get so much support and information on this forum, it's been an absolute lifesaver for me. Post plenty and get to know folks. There'll be an August surgery thread on the sleeve forum you should join so you get to chat with people at the same stage. You won't regret this - the pre-op diet is rough for some people (and 3 weeks is a long one) but for me it honestly wasn't bad at all - have done 800 calorie diets so many times in my life and this was a means to a very wanted end! Best of luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you :91_thumbsup:

That's the August 2022 people's thread - jump right in!

Welcome Steve. I think you made the right decision. I've said for months (even before surgery) that my only regret was not deciding to do this sooner.

The pre-op and post-op diets suck some, but I just tell myself to keep my eyes on the prize. It's going to be worth it.

Welcome Steve! You will do great! We are all here to root you on.

I start my pre-op diet on the 15th of August and is sooo nervous but after reading other's stories it helped eased the anxeity.

Welcome Steve!! I am also a Northern Cali resident. Don't be too scared of the pre-op diet. First few days are rough, not gonna lie, but it does get easier. I ended up doing it twice because my surgery was cancelled the day before it was scheduled (wah wah) Not knowing what your pre-op diet consists of, it's hard to give detailed advice. Mine was three Protein Shakes, 4oz of chicken and some veggies. I actually started looking forward to the shakes! It was worth it though because my surgeon said my liver looked good and made the surgery easier. Good luck!! You'll do great!

Welcome, Steve. I didn't have much success with the pre-op diet (kept "cheating" because I was so hungry and miserable), but I got through it eventually -- and so will you. Best of luck with your surgery!
All I can do is the best I can do. Thanks, I'll for sure keep everyone updated after and possibly a day or so after surgery . I don't expect to cheat per se but let's just say dietary perfection seems very difficult. Did your surgeon notice you "cheated"?

Congratulations on your decision Steve! I think you have the right mindset. It’s not a magic wand. It’s just a tool in your toolbox of nutrition, exercise, mental health and support. I had the sleeve March 1st. If you get through the first 3 days of the preop diet and don’t give in, it will pay off big time that was the hardest for me. After that it was easier & easier everyday and made the post op diet easier as well. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the encouragement! I was 180 when I graduated highschool And it seems like every 10 lb I kept saying it's no big deal I'll lose it. Well, @ 370 and about 15 years later it's time to face reality and I need another tool in my metaphorical box . Would you say it's difficult to eat large amounts now with the Sleeve? I have a bad habit of night time binging .

Welcome and good luck with your journey Steve. You will get so much support and information on this forum, it's been an absolute lifesaver for me. Post plenty and get to know folks. There'll be an August surgery thread on the sleeve forum you should join so you get to chat with people at the same stage. You won't regret this - the pre-op diet is rough for some people (and 3 weeks is a long one) but for me it honestly wasn't bad at all - have done 800 calorie diets so many times in my life and this was a means to a very wanted end! Best of luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you :91_thumbsup:
3 weeks is about my max for such a calorie restriction before I go mad and either bang my head against the wall or order everything off the taco bell menu . Even though I'm not officially on my pre-op diet until the 9th of August I've certainly been eating better the last week or so having the carrot of surgery dangling in front of me.