Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

4 hours ago, Garfield1987 said:

Hi guys. I’m 5 weeks post opp today. No issues with food. But I am exhausted. Absolutely and positively exhausted. No matter how much I sleep. And since last night I have had pain on thr right side of my abdomen. Considering even getting one of those IV drip treatments. Anyone else?

I am also week five and I’ve been getting the Ivs for the last two weeks and it has helped - it’s not like a magic energy pill but it does a lot to ease the fatigue. I find that on the weekends i have to just fully rest and i pushed myself last Saturday but doing too much and spend the next two days in bed. I’m hoping this gets better when i start eating normal?

On 10/24/2022 at 2:05 PM, Hope4NewMe said:

So anyone on an unrestricted diet try crunchy food yet. I don't have any restrictions other then they say that peas, corn or steak might not digest well. I've been afraid to eat crunchy food though. I really want to eat baby carrots or raw broccoli but I'm afraid it will hurt my stomach or get stuck or something. So has anyone tried things like that yet and how did it go?

I am on week six and can have a few crackers now. I did just have my first really bad episode with food though. We made this Soup with polish sausage and I chewed, chewed, chewed. Well, that night and the next day were brutal. I am doing well today. I can only have very small amounts of things but I am getting to the point where a lot is tolerated. chicken, beef, eggs, no problem.

Officially on my soft-foods stage! It feels GREAT to be able to eat food. I started off my day with some 1 small egg mixed with 1 Morning Star veggie sausage link. later had some caldo de pollo (traditional mexican soup) but didn't include any of the potatoes, corn or rice in my bowl, just the soft carrots & chicken but the delicious flavors were all there. I was so happy

Edited by bbykitty

Hi everyone/ I need everyone’s tips regarding beating exhaustion. I’m at my wits end. I cried earlier…

I am taking in about 70-90g of Protein. Not making 64 oz of Water yet but getting there- probably average 50 or so which doc said was fine. I’m taking the Vitamins. And this week has just been brutal. I’m 5 weeks post surgery and I just can barely keep my eyes open even though I’m sleeping 7-8 hrs a night.

I have my next appointment next week but I am just literally on the verge of exhaustion and don’t know what to do in the meantime. Pls tell me this is normal and I’m not the only one.

55 minutes ago, Garfield1987 said:

Hi everyone/ I need everyone’s tips regarding beating exhaustion. I’m at my wits end. I cried earlier…

I am taking in about 70-90g of Protein. Not making 64 oz of Water yet but getting there- probably average 50 or so which doc said was fine. I’m taking the Vitamins. And this week has just been brutal. I’m 5 weeks post surgery and I just can barely keep my eyes open even though I’m sleeping 7-8 hrs a night.

I have my next appointment next week but I am just literally on the verge of exhaustion and don’t know what to do in the meantime. Pls tell me this is normal and I’m not the only one.

So sorry that your exhaustion is so bad. The only thing I can tell you is what my dietitian told me and he said to eat at least 30g of carbs per meal and that would help with energy levels. I wasn't having energy issues and I'm still not eating that many carbs but if you are eating low carb, then maybe try increasing your carbs and see if it does give you energy. Also I don't know if your calories are too low or if you are doing too much exercise. adjusting those types of things might help. Hopefully your team has some better ideas next week, good luck!

11 hours ago, bbykitty said:

Officially on my soft-foods stage! It feels GREAT to be able to eat food. I started off my day with some 1 small egg mixed with 1 Morning Star veggie sausage link. later had some caldo de pollo (traditional mexican soup) but didn't include any of the potatoes, corn or rice in my bowl, just the soft carrots & chicken but the delicious flavors were all there. I was so happy

I think going into soft food was the best experience ever. I never really appreciated food until I couldn't eat it for so long. Glad you are getting to enjoy flavors again!

34 minutes ago, Hope4NewMe said:

So sorry that your exhaustion is so bad. The only thing I can tell you is what my dietitian told me and he said to eat at least 30g of carbs per meal and that would help with energy levels. I wasn't having energy issues and I'm still not eating that many carbs but if you are eating low carb, then maybe try increasing your carbs and see if it does give you energy. Also I don't know if your calories are too low or if you are doing too much exercise. adjusting those types of things might help. Hopefully your team has some better ideas next week, good luck!

Thank you. I will check with the diet team just emailed them. They told me to stay away from carbs, but I feel like I’m running on fumes. It’s even hard to focus at work. That surge of energy around week 2/3 from surgery is definitely gone. Thank you for the input ❤️

8 week post opt gastric bypass yesterday I did have two small broccoli pieces and a half of a baby carrot .. chewed it wrr we kk and thankfully no problems at all :) it’s been a challenge but everything seems to be on a trial and error basis for myself.. good luck everyone

On 10/27/2022 at 11:41, Garfield1987 said:

I’m almost 5 weeks post op as well and I have been exhausted as well. I am meeting my Protein and exceeding my Water and taking my Vitamins so who knows? I have two small children and it makes it so difficult. My husband just yells at me for being “lazy” because I sleep in on the weekends. I get my labs drawn and see the doctor this Friday so hopefully it will get better.

On 10/30/2022 at 15:54, Foxfire said:

I’m almost 5 weeks post op as well and I have been exhausted as well. I am meeting my Protein and exceeding my Water and taking my Vitamins so who knows? I have two small children and it makes it so difficult. My husband just yells at me for being “lazy” because I sleep in on the weekends. I get my labs drawn and see the doctor this Friday so hopefully it will get better.

Guys I am telling you… actually screaming from the rooftops… find an iv bar pay the money get the iv. Make sure you choose the one with the most vitamins! Ask for their input they know what you need!!! I was there it will help I promise.

2 hours ago, Foxfire said:

Just having 2 small children is exhausting so I can imagine how bad it is after this surgery. Hopefully your team will have some answers for you, good luck!

4 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

Guys I am telling you… actually screaming from the rooftops… find an iv bar pay the money get the iv. Make sure you choose the one with the most vitamins! Ask for their input they know what you need!!! I was there it will help I promise.

I booked but both nutritionist and doc said it was a waste of money so I cancelled it. I got blood work done Friday, and I’m hoping it comes back quickly. I think though I’m going to just pull the trigger on the IV. I can’t keep going like this and I’m willing to try anything at this point.

On 10/30/2022 at 20:15, Garfield1987 said:

I booked but both nutritionist and doc said it was a waste of money so I cancelled it. I got blood work done Friday, and I’m hoping it comes back quickly. I think though I’m going to just pull the trigger on the IV. I can’t keep going like this and I’m willing to try anything at this point.

I didn’t even bother asking. I did tell my dietitian I did it after the fact and she said if I was weak and run down then it was a good thing especially if it helped. I even went to a dr appointment with a friend and happen to just throw out the question and the dr said just do it. Our drs want us to rely on fluids Protein and Vitamins. I am not sure they really want us to seek other options. Not saying they are that way out of malice or anything but I don’t think it would be a healthy option to do it often.

Update- got worse. Did the liquids and it didn’t help. Had my doctors appointment and they have no idea what’s wrong. My blood work is fine- Iron levels are higher than they were pre surgery. My blood pressure is quite low so I’m now sitting in the ER because he wants additional liquids and a full work up. Bleh.

1 hour ago, Garfield1987 said:

Update- got worse. Did the liquids and it didn’t help. Had my doctors appointment and they have no idea what’s wrong. My blood work is fine- Iron levels are higher than they were pre surgery. My blood pressure is quite low so I’m now sitting in the ER because he wants additional liquids and a full work up. Bleh.

Oh wow, so sorry that you are in the ER! I'm glad you are getting a full work up and hopefully you'll have some answers soon. Keep us posted and good luck!