Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

7 hours ago, Wrenna said:

How long did it take everyone to meet their Protein goals? I am 4 days post op and STRUGGLING. I'm hitting my fluids no problem, but I'm getting maybe 20 grams of the recommended 60 and it's starting to stress me out. I have no desire to eat anything, so I'll force myself to choke down a small amount of soup... and then I feel so icky and stuffed that the thought of eating that particular thing again makes me incredibly nauseated. I'm only on liquids for 3 more days after today, and I'm hoping that moving to a wider variety of foods will make it easier to hit my Protein because right now, it's yoghurt and protein shakes... which I never want to see again in my life. :(

I am still struggling almost 3 weeks out, but it does get better each day. I supplement with protein gel.

I use Ensure 30 g of Protein twice a day and I also have a Protein Shake I was sleeved 9/19/22. I've had it pretty easy minimum pain. But I do get hungry a lot. I try to drink a lot of Water to help with the hunger. Monday is my last day of liquids. I start on purees! That's the next step soft foods! Just take it day by day!

14 hours ago, Wrenna said:

How long did it take everyone to meet their Protein goals? I am 4 days post op and STRUGGLING. I'm hitting my fluids no problem, but I'm getting maybe 20 grams of the recommended 60 and it's starting to stress me out. I have no desire to eat anything, so I'll force myself to choke down a small amount of soup... and then I feel so icky and stuffed that the thought of eating that particular thing again makes me incredibly nauseated. I'm only on liquids for 3 more days after today, and I'm hoping that moving to a wider variety of foods will make it easier to hit my Protein because right now, it's yoghurt and protein shakes... which I never want to see again in my life. :(

Fluids are most important but the protein will happen. The one cautionary tale that I would like to share is my experience with protein powder...I was adding it to everything and not tracking at all (TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE MISTAKE)! Protein Powder (in some people) can cause terrible Constipation and impacted stool - unfortunately, I’m one of those people. I won’t go into graphic detail but it negatively affected my whole GI tract and I definitely uttered the words “I just want to die” at some point before we called the surgeon at 3am. I took a full day off protein, reset myself, am now diligently tracking and all is well again!

I'm having no problems meeting my Protein goals or liquid goals... I wonder why some people have problems and others don't. This is only my first day on full liquids too.

So to my question. Do yall use the baritastic app or myfitnesspal or something else to track food and stuff? I've always used myfitnesspal because their extensive library of stuff I can scan. But I'm leaning towards baritastic since it's more personalized to us. I just don't know how extensive their database is. Any insights??

3 hours ago, kellyarw95 said:

I'm having no problems meeting my Protein goals or liquid goals... I wonder why some people have problems and others don't. This is only my first day on full liquids too.

So to my question. Do yall use the baritastic app or myfitnesspal or something else to track food and stuff? I've always used myfitnesspal because their extensive library of stuff I can scan. But I'm leaning towards baritastic since it's more personalized to us. I just don't know how extensive their database is. Any insights??

I have been a MyFitnessPal user for years. It was a major factor in my previous weight loss successes and my fault for not keeping at it to maintain...but that’s another conversation. I am using it again and while it’s a little tricky to mathematically convert portions to our tiny amounts, the database is on point. I still use the free app but am considering upgrading to paid. I’ll be interested to see others’ opinions also!

I have been a MyFitnessPal user for years. It was a major factor in my previous weight loss successes and my fault for not keeping at it to maintain...but that’s another conversation. I am using it again and while it’s a little tricky to mathematically convert portions to our tiny amounts, the database is on point. I still use the free app but am considering upgrading to paid. I’ll be interested to see others’ opinions also!
The past two days I've used the baritastic app and it seems so much easier to calculate our tiny portions. Like it's already in there the tiny portion sizes. Plus idk if you saw myfitnesspal free version is going to lose the barcode scanner. I really don't want to pay extra right now especially if an equally good app has it. But that's why I wanted opinions! However I do like the fact that myfitnesspal has forums and you can have friends and stuff to cheer you on. Baritastic is lacking there... I'd track in both but that would end up being such a headache

15 hours ago, JustAMomATX said:

Fluids are most important but the Protein will happen. The one cautionary tale that I would like to share is my experience with protein powder...I was adding it to everything and not tracking at all (TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE MISTAKE)! Protein Powder (in some people) can cause terrible constipation and impacted stool - unfortunately, I’m one of those people. I won’t go into graphic detail but it negatively affected my whole GI tract and I definitely uttered the words “I just want to die” at some point before we called the surgeon at 3am. I took a full day off protein, reset myself, am now diligently tracking and all is well again!

I haven't tried the protein powder added to my meals yet, but thank you for this warning. Your experience is one of my worst fears. I'm already having Constipation issues and would never want to make them worse.

15 hours ago, kellyarw95 said:

So to my question. Do yall use the baritastic app or myfitnesspal or something else to track food and stuff?

I actually use both because I like different features on them. I do think the baritastic app is easier to use and easy to track what I want to track, but I have had issues with it being way off on its information. Like I had it say a can of chicken in Water was 56 grams of fat when it was like 2.5. It did get fixed about 2 weeks after I saw it but my dietitian said I was eating too much fat before surgery and I actually wasn't, it was the app being wrong and I hadn't caught it. So now I double check the stats and I also use the myfitness app as a backup to see how the 2 sites compare. So far in the 2 weeks, only 1 day was way off and that day the baritastic app said I ate 200 more calories then the fitness one. The thing I don't really like about the my fitness is that it kind of yells at me every day for not eating enough calories.

7 minutes ago, Hope4NewMe said:

I haven't tried the Protein Powder added to my meals yet, but thank you for this warning. Your experience is one of my worst fears. I'm already having constipation issues and would never want to make them worse.

Try adding a soluble Fiber to your diet if your team agrees with it. I found the generic for benefiber at Walmart. I used milk of magnesia once immediately post surgery so I would have a movement, then from the next morning on, I mixed a spoonful of the fiber in a glass of crystal light and I never had any more issues with Constipation. I eventually weaned myself off of it once I got back to a more normal portion size but some people have to stay on something preventative forever.

I actually use both because I like different features on them. I do think the baritastic app is easier to use and easy to track what I want to track, but I have had issues with it being way off on its information. Like I had it say a can of chicken in Water was 56 grams of fat when it was like 2.5. It did get fixed about 2 weeks after I saw it but my dietitian said I was eating too much fat before surgery and I actually wasn't, it was the app being wrong and I hadn't caught it. So now I double check the stats and I also use the myfitness app as a backup to see how the 2 sites compare. So far in the 2 weeks, only 1 day was way off and that day the baritastic app said I ate 200 more calories then the fitness one. The thing I don't really like about the my fitness is that it kind of yells at me every day for not eating enough calories.
I know! It would be nice if they had a bariatric feature!! But okay I'll just try to double check the stats and see how I'm doing. I'd rather overestimate than underestimate anyway. Thank you for your insight!!

When did everyone start their Vitamins? I will be a week post-op tomorrow and haven't purchased my Vitamins yet.

Mine has me starting B12 first day post op (it's sublingual). Starting the Multivitamin on 1 week post op. 2 week post op start Fiber supplements and 1 of the Calcium. 3 week post op increase to 2 calcium. 4 week post op increase to 3 calcium and add Iron. So by week 4 I should be taking everything.

Is anyone else always thirsty! Like cotton mouth all the time thirsty.

40 minutes ago, Stuart90 said:

When did everyone start their Vitamins? I will be a week post-op tomorrow and haven't purchased my Vitamins yet.

Started everything week after 1 week.

21 minutes ago, Slwhurst said:

Is anyone else always thirsty! Like cotton mouth all the time thirsty.

Not during the day since I'm constantly sipping Water. At night I'm actually woken up in the middle of the night with severe dry mouth. Not sure yet if that's because I'm mouth breathing, or if something else is going on? I do know I'm a lot more congested that I used to be, so that might account for the mouth breathing.