Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

18 hours ago, kukuiokalani said:

hello september friends!

i had my gastric bypass on 9/7 and my food progression isn’t entirely going to plan. :(

i was supposed to move on to puréed but my new stomach was rejecting it so i tried backing up to full liquids again, and now THAT’S being rejected. i have an appointment next monday for an endoscopy to see if there’s something wrong or if they need to adjust my stomach pouch or widen my new stomach connection. apparently this can be a pretty common and my surgeon said once you start vomiting it steps your stomach healing back a couple steps.

i am endlessly happy for my surgery and i knew this was an anticipated hurdle. thank gods for the six months to prepare for my life post-op.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time after surgery! Your positive attitude is amazing. I hope they figure out how to help you soon, good luck!

15 hours ago, TheLosingGame said:

i’m still so tired. my surgery was last thursday 9/22 so it’s been a week. i wonder when i’ll have normal energy again. all i wanna do is go for a walk in my neighborhood but i get winded easily

I was getting more and more tired on the liquid diet. I didn't start getting energy until I could eat the pureed foods. Yesterday was the 1st day I felt like I had normal to above normal energy and I had my surgery on the 19th. So hopefully soon things will pick up for you.

I just had my bypass yesterdyesterday.. is it normal to feel hungry? Like it's just head hunger right? When will that go away??

44 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

I just had my bypass yesterdyesterday.. is it normal to feel hungry? Like it's just head hunger right? When will that go away??

I keep dreaming of foods all the time and if my kids bring in things like donuts to the house, I swear my stomach starts growling. But if I stop and really feel if I'm hungry or not, I don't actually feel hungry, so I think its head hunger. This hasn't changed from the day I got my surgery (on the 19th)so I don't know if it will ever go away. If it does go away, I'll be a happy person though.

On 09/29/2022 at 23:38, SpartanMaker said:

I hear you.

When I started walking right after surgery, all I could manage was about 10 minutes. Now I'm up to two 20 minute walks a day. (My surgery was 9/20.) Interestingly, the more I do, the more I feel like I can do. You may just have to push through the tired feeling?

that’s awesome! i think i’ll try that

I keep dreaming of foods all the time and if my kids bring in things like donuts to the house, I swear my stomach starts growling. But if I stop and really feel if I'm hungry or not, I don't actually feel hungry, so I think its head hunger. This hasn't changed from the day I got my surgery (on the 19th)so I don't know if it will ever go away. If it does go away, I'll be a happy person though.
I hope head hunger goes away. I want to stop thinking about food all the time. :(

Also, how long did everyone have to stay on liquids post op? I have to for 2 weeks before I can move to purees.

1 hour ago, kellyarw95 said:

Also, how long did everyone have to stay on liquids post op? I have to for 2 weeks before I can move to purees.

3 weeks! Which made me kind of crazy by the end. I was so excited when I got to pureed this week but it already feels so tedious to me now lol. Before surgery, I'd to put away all distractions while I ate (intuitive eating strategies) and but now I have to play a puzzle game on my tablet while I eat because otherwise I'm staring at my timer like a crazy person, trying to take 30 mins to eat. Now I just take a bite every level. liquids were so much easier compared now lol.

2 minutes ago, loli_lotus said:

3 weeks! Which made me kind of crazy by the end. I was so excited when I got to pureed this week but it already feels so tedious to me now lol. Before surgery, I'd to put away all distractions while I ate (intuitive eating strategies) and but now I have to play a puzzle game on my tablet while I eat because otherwise I'm staring at my timer like a crazy person, trying to take 30 mins to eat. Now I just take a bite every level. liquids were so much easier compared now lol.

I was fortunate. liquid for a week, pureed for five days, today started soft foods (although I started it yesterday). I am sick today though. I don't think it is surgery related but not sure.

Dudeeee I'm worried about the pureed diet. I'm huge on textures and pureed like textures make me gag how is it?

2 hours ago, kellyarw95 said:

I hope head hunger goes away. I want to stop thinking about food all the time. :(

food is such an integral part of who we are. I teach cooking classes, etc. I decided I was going to prepare for this and bought several Keto cookbooks and I am already planning menus and cooking out of them. Who says we can't enjoy food while on this journey? The head hunger is real though, you are not alone.

Edited by nymisc
clarification

Y’all I did it… I cheated on my post op! I am on purée and ate 1 1/2 hot wings… I have been craving them since the start…🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

13 hours ago, Sd14810 said:

My surgery was 9/26 so I'm 4 days post op... and I thought I'd be doing better at fluids by now, but I'm still only managing between 28-35 oz a day, that's with liquid, Jello Popsicles anything I can handle to try to get more down... I think I'm going to need to go to get fluids later today, has anyone els had this issue?

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 24 days post op and on my best day I'm still getting maybe 54oz of liquids. I think it took me 2 weeks to get to 40oz. I didn't have to get fluids, but I do use electrolyte powder a lot to prevent dehydration.

2 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

Dudeeee I'm worried about the pureed diet. I'm huge on textures and pureed like textures make me gag how is it?

Did you just have surgery yesterday?

Just now, Slwhurst said:

Y’all I did it… I cheated on my post op! I am on purée and ate 1 1/2 hot wings… I have been craving them since the start…🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

It may be hard on your stomach, but I don't think that is a bad cheat.

On 09/30/2022 at 17:10, nymisc said:

It may be hard on your stomach, but I don't think that is a bad cheat.

It actually didn’t bother me. But I am supposed to do purée till the 17th…