Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

1 hour ago, Jfife85 said:

Congrats! I’m feeling pretty ok. Still sore around the incision they pulled the stomach out of and I also just found out that I have shingles lol but things could always be worse! Starting to get the hang of Fluid and Protein intake, so that’s a plus.

How about you? xx

I’m really struggling with getting enough protein… I think my Water intake is ok. I get a little apple sauce, cottage cheese, and sugar free pudding in here and there…. But I never feel the fullness cue they talk about, but idk if I’m eating enough to feel it either because I’m afraid to over eat. Hopefully I get more comfortable as time goes on.

2 hours ago, loli_lotus said:

I'm glad everything went well!! My period showed up a few days before surgery too, luckily it had lightened up for the day of. I kinda wish I had a cath, I was up every 2 hours needing to pee.

About the hunger! Same! It's the excess stomach acid, at least for me. It's not just noise, right? Like it's actually a little painful? I could literally be watching my family eat and totally not be interested with no stomach reaction, then later take a sip of a Protein Shake or just Water and then it's painful gurgling feed me now time, like I woke up a beast. It was the worst the first week and now it's tapered off, I assume because my body is adapting to how much acid my stomach needs.

This video also helped ease my mind!

https://youtu.be/m5NCKvkr7rU

Yes! Just what you explained. I'm not really interested in food, but feel a stomach cramping that is familiar to hunger. Actually got better after I took my PPI for the day. Thanks for the response. Makes me feel a little less crazy! The video was great.

On 09/16/2022 at 07:20, Irish jay said:

Thank you so much, it’s all a bit daunting really, I thought having the op would be the hard part but preparing for life after seems very complex. I will make sure I get the Vitamins as soon as. Much appreciated 👍🏻

Once you get going on drinking plenty of fluids and taking your Vitamins, it’s really not bad at all! I know it seems that way when you read everything I wrote but (seriously!) you’ll be fine! I was just trying to think of a the tips I’ve learned along the way. I had my VSG 18 months ago and my GB 2 weeks ago. I’ve read so much and received so much information from veteran patients I just wanted to share what I knew. I know you’ll do well. People on this site are very helpful. All you have to do is ask if you have questions about things. 😁

45 minutes ago, Cassandra Maughan said:

Is anyone else struggling with a feeling that everything is overly sweet? Even plain Water tastes sweet to me. I just started full liquids today, any suggestions for something not sweet? Other than Bone Broth I am so over that lol.

Hi Cassandra,

I do think things taste sweeter, but not overly so. I got several of the Soups off of this site and they are pretty good. The cream of chicken is good. I'm still on Clear Liquids until tomorrow, but tried everything when I ordered it pre-op and doing the liquid diet before surgery. I add seasoning to the soups as needed for my taste, but I am digging the soups! Definitely a break from the sweet stuff and they have Protein in them.

4 hours ago, JustAMomATX said:

I know exactly what you are describing! I couldn’t figure it out either but I definitely do not think it’s hunger...in the true rumbly tummy and hunger headache sense. I believe it is just gas and in my case, some crazy mixed signals with my brain. It’s really hard figuring out exactly what my new pouch can hold and I’ve seen on here that maintaining a regular eating schedule is key. I’ve over done it twice now because I thought I was hungry. Neither time had a good ending - so to speak.

Makes me feel better that I'm not alone. My brain is likely very confused. I'm still doing clear liquids but don't feel deprived or anything. I'm sure it's just the gas and maybe a little acid. I add full liquids tomorrow, looking forward to some creamed soups!

September 30th, on day 3 of my liquid diet...completely starving!

Sent from my SM-N970U using BariatricPal mobile app

Girl I cheated the first two days. Well cheated sounds wrong. I binged the first two days. I'm doing good today tho. But I am starving too. Surgery date Sept 29th.

On 09/17/2022 at 17:17, SleeveMeToIt said:

Hi Cassandra,

I do think things taste sweeter, but not overly so. I got several of the Soups off of this site and they are pretty good. The cream of chicken is good. I'm still on Clear Liquids until tomorrow, but tried everything when I ordered it pre-op and doing the liquid diet before surgery. I add seasoning to the Soups as needed for my taste, but I am digging the soups! Definitely a break from the sweet stuff and they have Protein in them.

Oh yeah cream of chicken! That is going on my list to try!

Ok sleeved 9/12 and dying to know if I am the only one that hasn’t been able to trust passing gas since the pre op diet??? I will be so happy when I am on normal food again!!🤣🤣

59 minutes ago, Slwhurst said:

Ok sleeved 9/12 and dying to know if I am the only one that hasn’t been able to trust passing gas since the pre op diet??? I will be so happy when I am on normal food again!!🤣🤣

You are not alone. I’ve had to wash all the bed linens twice and had one unfortunate incident at a coffee shop with my hubs that ended with most of my clothing in a spare trash bag from the stall I was in…😳. So very humbling 🤦‍♀️😂

On 09/17/2022 at 21:03, JustAMomATX said:

You are not alone. I’ve had to wash all the bed linens twice and had one unfortunate incident at a coffee shop with my hubs that ended with most of my clothing in a spare trash bag from the stall I was in…😳. So very humbling 🤦‍♀️😂

I have to carry an extra change of clothes like a toddler and just hope if anything happens someone will be near enough to retrieve them!

5 hours ago, Cassandra Maughan said:

Is anyone else struggling with a feeling that everything is overly sweet? Even plain Water tastes sweet to me. I just started full liquids today, any suggestions for something not sweet? Other than Bone Broth I am so over that lol.

Yes! I can’t use any of the things I was depending on. No G2Z with Protein, no Protein Shakes, no popsicles, no sf Jello, no sf pudding, no yogurt….nothing sweet. It makes me so very nauseas. Blech. Sweet tooth is gone! During my week of full liquids, I pretty much lived on Progresso’s Creamy chicken Soup broth and Manhattan clam chowder broth. They were all that tasted good to me.

I had GVS on the 12th as well.

For those of you that I've seen talking about starving during pre-op, I was that way too until I changed my strategy. 90% of the liquid I consumed had Protein in it. Protein Water with additional protein gels. I love the Protein2O. Also the single serve Protein Shots from this site. Started my day with that shot, had another one mid afternoon. Sipped on the protein water with extra protein once in am, 2nd on in PM. Then had a protein chicken or beef broth around dinner time, and I wasn't even that hungry by that point. Threw in some plain water here and there. I got all of the supplies off of this site besides the protein water that I got off Amazon. I couldn't do shakes, but this approach really took care of my hunger! Hope this helps someone.

I am having surgery on the 30th, VSG. I got a lot of questions but luckily for me, this forum helped a lot so far. I have a list of questions for the surgeon for the pre-op visit since I haven't been able to ask many questions in any of the 4-5 appts so far this year. I was only prescribed for 2 days of liquid diet even tho I have some abnormal liver test results. I'm afraid because I had GERD my whole life but I'm having the sleeve. Maybe the doctor thinks the weight loss will help with it (which has happened before with previous diets).