Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

How long is everyone taking off work? My surgery is Thursday the 29th and I need to be back at work by that Monday... is that possible? For context I work in an office sitting for 8 hours with the freedom to get up and walk around as much as I want... I noticed people on fb were taking weeks off and so I'm nervous. I kinda HAVE to go back to work...can't afford time off.

On 09/11/2022 at 21:15, kellyarw95 said:

How long is everyone taking off work? My surgery is Thursday the 29th and I need to be back at work by that Monday... is that possible? For context I work in an office sitting for 8 hours with the freedom to get up and walk around as much as I want... I noticed people on fb were taking weeks off and so I'm nervous. I kinda HAVE to go back to work...can't afford time off.

I only planned a week but that is because we work Monday-thurs but I hope to be able to do other things by Thursday

7 minutes ago, Slwhurst said:

Ok guys it is go time! Surgical wash done bag packed to stay with my dad and nausea patch on! Now to try to get a good nights rest for surgery in the morning!!! Good luck to all those going in with me tomorrow!!! And thanks for being the best support group ever!!!

Good luck!!!

I only planned a week but that is because we work Monday-thurs but I hope to be able to do other things by Thursday
Well f**k. I was hoping recovery was gonna be easy breezy and I wouldn't need to take time off.

5 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

I'm taking 4 weeks but I have a pretty physical job with basically no time to eat or drink so I gotta take the financial hit, or I'd probably pass out. You'll probably be fine. I'm 5 days post and if I had an office job, I probably could have gone to work yesterday. Can't say if productivity would be great, but you do what you got to.

11 minutes ago, loli_lotus said:

Good luck!!!

Good luck

Good luck!!!

Good luck!!!

its go time for me too! Good luck tomorrow

17 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

I was told to expect 2 weeks minimum, and I work from home. The issue isn't pain, it's mostly due to tiredness and brain fog. Also, it's super hard to get your fluids/protein in, and that will just be harder if you're trying to work as well.

Can you take short-term disability?

I was told to expect 2 weeks minimum, and I work from home. The issue isn't pain, it's mostly due to tiredness and brain fog. Also, it's super hard to get your fluids/protein in, and that will just be harder if you're trying to work as well.
Can you take short-term disability?
I'm considered 'contract labor' so that means I have zero benefits. My boss is pretty chill though... he has let me nap in the mornings for an hour when I've been really tired. He tries to work around my disabilities. f**k and I won't be able to take my adhd meds right away either right? f**k idk what to do....

I am new here, scheduled for September 19th! Started my pre-op Bariatric Advantage diet on Friday, so close!

1 hour ago, kellyarw95 said:

Well f**k. I was hoping recovery was gonna be easy breezy and I wouldn't need to take time off.

Maybe it will be. That hasn’t been my story, but it has certainly been others.

2 hours ago, La El said:

My first week was Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks weren’t allowed. This week I have been allowed, but they are just sickeningly sweet to me. I was able to get down a third of an Atkins shake by cutting the whole shake with about 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Mostly I’m living on Creamy chicken Soup broth and it hits the spot. So good.

Before surgery, I loved the Gatorade Zero with Protein. Now I hate it. Ditto on sf pudding…yogurt…protein shakes…anything sweet. All I want in this life is a fried egg with half a piece of toast.

If you are allowed caffeine try the caffe latte shake by premiere Protein. If not try their clear protein waters. I was the same way with sweet post surgery and that caffe latte and the fruit punch clear were the only two things that didn’t taste too sweet to me. A lot of people also speak about the fairlife Protein Shakes for this situation. I have not tried them though.

I am having my VSG on September 15! Good luck to us all!

11 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

Well i took off 1 month im getting the bypass,per my program 4 weeks is the required time i 12 hrs in a dialysis clinic 95% on my feet all day, just wanted to go back eating food, not surviving off liquids its really hard when your days start at 4 am and im in school full time but im doing it.

This is something I came across that I thought might be helpful to some, it's a video with a beriatric sergon explaining the possibility of "foamies" after surgery.... he also has a lot of other videos people might find helpful so i thought id share :)

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app