Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

On 09/07/2022 at 18:44, SpartanMaker said:

Got it. Guess I'll try to enjoy the easy days!

I have not managed to do all three shakes… I have not cheated but they are kind of making me sick at this point.

Second day post op and I’m feeling better. Yesterday was a little rough for me with nausea and the gas pain. But I’m all better now.
Im on a liquid diet until Saturday, then 5-14 bland foods.
Im not hungry but I dream I’m having lots of food 😅😅

2 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

I have not managed to do all three shakes… I have not cheated but they are kind of making me sick at this point.

Oh no! sorry to hear that.

I'm kind of expecting the same thing, so I laid in a supply of Bone Broth and unflavored Protein Powder, as well as bariatric pal Soups and hot chocolate. Hopefully the variety will keep me going. 2 weeks on a liquid diet is a long time.

2 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

I’ve bought Premier Protein vanilla and add a teaspoon of my extract flavors…. My favorite is almond. On Amazon you can find almost any flavor imaginable. I’m on day nine of full liquid… three shakes and some sf Jello, pudding, or low sodium Tomato juice. Add some of those extracts to your Water too. Keep strong you got this

23 minutes ago, Angela_85 said:

Second day post op and I’m feeling better. Yesterday was a little rough for me with nausea and the gas pain. But I’m all better now.
Im on a liquid diet until Saturday, then 5-14 bland foods.
Im not hungry but I dream I’m having lots of food 😅😅

My doctor wants me to be on fill liquid diet for 3 weeks post surgery…

56 minutes ago, Giovanna628 said:

My doctor wants me to be on fill liquid diet for 3 weeks post surgery…

Wow, that's a long time, but hopefully it will be easier post-surgery than it would beforehand.

Scheduled for the 13th in Newport News, VA by Dr. Terricina. I 🙏🏾 I won’t be in to much pain and everything is a success.

Edited by jdardenhill2

Surgery was a success Tuesday afternoon! Spent the night at the hospital and that felt a little rough. They offered me broth and Water, but every time I tried either I'd get nauseous. I only slept 2hrs at a time bc I kept having to pee and I couldn't get comfortable in the hospital bed. Luckily I was able to go home Wednesday late morning. People were texting me and I couldn't concentrate on even holding my phone because my body felt weird.

Being home feels better. I'm very independent, and I had my aunt and a cousin doting on me and asking to help, which felt wrong to me lol. But my bed at home is bigger than the hospital bed and doesn't do that inflatable thing the hospital one does for bed sores. Getting comfy is still difficult, and I'm a side or tummy sleeper so it once I got home to a million pillows I tried my sides. Left at first was a no go, I assume that's the side where my stomach is sutured. Right side felt better and it took like 4 long naps in-between using the bathroom and returning text messages.

I'm not sure if it's gas pain in my neck and shoulders, or from being stretched out weird during surgery, but my neck and shoulders are very tight. When I was in the operating room before anesthesia knocked me out, they had both my arms extended to the side and where strapping them down. I have a rotator cuff problem that comes and goes and it feels like it's back, which is why I think it's from being stretched weird. But I kept walking around my room to try to get rid of it if it was gas. I actually watched the first half of the fellowship of the ring while pacing around, so that's at least an hour lmao. Chewed two gasx tablets.

Eating also is a little weird. At my hospital Breakfast I was able to get down a little cream of chicken and water, and didn't fell nauseous, but I couldn't tell if I was feeling hunger pains or full pains. When I got home I had some Protein water, then after a couple of naps I very slowly ate 2oz of Jello. I had some Bone Broth with added Protein Powder for dinner, but not a lot because it made me nauseous, I'll try tomorrow without adding extra protein and see if that changes anything. I took a disolvable anti nausea but honestly that made it worse.

It's almost 5am here in SoCal, not sure what woke me up but at least I'm with it enough to type out this long report hahah.

12 minutes ago, loli_lotus said:

Surgery was a success Tuesday afternoon! Spent the night at the hospital and that felt a little rough. They offered me broth and Water, but every time I tried either I'd get nauseous. I only slept 2hrs at a time bc I kept having to pee and I couldn't get comfortable in the hospital bed. Luckily I was able to go home Wednesday late morning. People were texting me and I couldn't concentrate on even holding my phone because my body felt weird.

Being home feels better. I'm very independent, and I had my aunt and a cousin doting on me and asking to help, which felt wrong to me lol. But my bed at home is bigger than the hospital bed and doesn't do that inflatable thing the hospital one does for bed sores. Getting comfy is still difficult, and I'm a side or tummy sleeper so it once I got home to a million pillows I tried my sides. Left at first was a no go, I assume that's the side where my stomach is sutured. Right side felt better and it took like 4 long naps in-between using the bathroom and returning text messages.

I'm not sure if it's gas pain in my neck and shoulders, or from being stretched out weird during surgery, but my neck and shoulders are very tight. When I was in the operating room before anesthesia knocked me out, they had both my arms extended to the side and where strapping them down. I have a rotator cuff problem that comes and goes and it feels like it's back, which is why I think it's from being stretched weird. But I kept walking around my room to try to get rid of it if it was gas. I actually watched the first half of the fellowship of the ring while pacing around, so that's at least an hour lmao. Chewed two gasx tablets.

Eating also is a little weird. At my hospital Breakfast I was able to get down a little cream of chicken and Water, and didn't fell nauseous, but I couldn't tell if I was feeling hunger pains or full pains. When I got home I had some Protein water, then after a couple of naps I very slowly ate 2oz of Jello. I had some Bone Broth with added Protein Powder for dinner, but not a lot because it made me nauseous, I'll try tomorrow without adding extra Protein and see if that changes anything. I took a disolvable anti nausea but honestly that made it worse.

It's almost 5am here in SoCal, not sure what woke me up but at least I'm with it enough to type out this long report hahah.

Ask your doctor for a different nausea medication. They should have others for you to try. Hopefully one that will work for you.

17 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Ask your doctor for a different nausea medication. They should have others for you to try. Hopefully one that will work for you.

Good idea! Thank you!

Here we go! Started clear liquid pre-op diet today for surgery tomorrow (time TBD but likely early morning). I so appreciate all that have reported on their experiences - I’m getting a little more nervous by the hour. 😨

My doc does it outpatient but it sounds like everyone else has had at least a night in hospital?? That’s also making me nervous, like maybe I will have trouble at home and should be in the hospital. I’m going to check some other threads and see if outpatient is normal.

Thinking of everyone pre-op (good luck to you!) and all that have already gone (hope you are having and/or continuing an easy recovery!). I’ll report back on how it all goes tomorrow!

51 minutes ago, JustAMomATX said:

Here we go! Started clear liquid pre-op diet today for surgery tomorrow (time TBD but likely early morning). I so appreciate all that have reported on their experiences - I’m getting a little more nervous by the hour. 😨

My doc does it outpatient but it sounds like everyone else has had at least a night in hospital?? That’s also making me nervous, like maybe I will have trouble at home and should be in the hospital. I’m going to check some other threads and see if outpatient is normal.

Thinking of everyone pre-op (good luck to you!) and all that have already gone (hope you are having and/or continuing an easy recovery!). I’ll report back on how it all goes tomorrow!

My surgeon said I could be outpatient depending on how I feel, but mine was at noon and the anesthesia absolutely didn't leave my system for hours, definitely not in shape to leave early, even with a family member. I hated my hospital stay but I'm glad I had it. Not saying you should lie, but definitely stress to the RNs if you're feeling pain and discomfort.