Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

22 minutes ago, Slwhurst said:

Yours might not be so bad you have to remember I am on shakes only and clear liquid.< /p>

Me too. 3-4 shakes a day and Clear Liquids only for 2 weeks.

21 minutes ago, vanessafass787 said:

Sept 20!

Yay, me too! Lots of folks on the 19th, but I was starting to think I was the only one on the 20th.

On 09/04/2022 at 13:19, SpartanMaker said:

Me too. 3-4 shakes a day and Clear Liquids only for 2 weeks.

Oh lord I was thinking I was the only one with a strict doctor! So far the biggest issue is lack of sugar and feeling weak. And for the love of all things holy don’t stand up too fast!!!

My surgery date is September 29th. I am having gastric bypass. Feel free to add me or whatever.

Hi guys. This is only my second post in the community at all. My surgery is September 29th. My preop diet is not just liquids. Infact I can eat but it has to be under 30 carbs a day. My plan is to drink Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch and eat low carb dinner. I want to make sure my liver shrinks and I lose weight in the process. I know it'll be hard. However, I am thinking about starting this diet tomorrow to give me time to practice and mess up before I have to officially start and not mess up. Plus I am just gaining more weight by not dieting right now. I want to practice my new life style while I have a chance to mess up basically. What do yall think of this? If so, I am going to start tomorrow.

A little about me I am 5' 6". HW 387 CW 345 SW ? GW 125? I don't know how to choose a good goal weight lol. I just want to be smaller than my husband who is 135. Maybe ill just see what looks good on me. However I do want to lose 200 pounds at least. I am nervous about failing again. I had the lapband when I was 19 and it never worked for me. I quickly learned to eat around it. However I was in an abusive relationship at the time and attempted suicide at the time. I was not ready for it. I am in a much better place now and I am ready for real change. I am just nervous it wont work for me. I have binge eating disorder and what if that doesn't go away? WIll I still have food on my mind 24/7? I just want to be able to say no to food. i only can now because of my vyvanse. Ugh. Im just rambling. I am sorry. Will this forum stay open after we have our surgeries or will it move to a different forum? Idk. I am just ready to have this surgery. Time until September 29th is moving so slow.

On 09/04/2022 at 18:28, kellyarw95 said:

My surgery date is September 29th. I am having gastric bypass. Feel free to add me or whatever.

This forum should be open forever more! We will all need support in the coming days, weeks, months!!! My mother had the lap band as well with no results. Come to find out hers had been ruptured the entire time! We will all be here to support you through your journey!

3 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

What do yall think of this? If so, I am going to start tomorrow.

I think it's a great idea. Were I you, I'd focus on cleaning up my diet, e.g. start eliminating the junk and focus on eating more lean Protein and vegetables. Even low carb junk is still junk, so it's best to avoid it.

3 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

I don't know how to choose a good goal weight lol.

I can understand the desire to be lower than your spouse, but I honestly think 125 is way too low for you. Obese people have enlarged hearts and livers, denser, heavier bones, and increased blood supplies to carry blood to all that fat. As a result, you can't use "averages" based on height (such as BMI) as a guide. The best bet would be to use your percentage of body fat and pick a health body fat from something like this:

image.png.ffe885bb5f411df11abaef34712ef091.png

My best guess would be that somewhere between 150 and 175 would probably put you in the right range. If you know you actual percentage of body fat now, I can calculate a better number for you. Remember too that if you get to a higher weight, you can always set a new lower goal if you don't like the way you look and feel at that weight. On the other hand, if you set a goal that's too low, you'll just get frustrated trying to reach an unattainable goal.

Countdown to surgery, 10 days out. Started liver shrinking diet September 1st

I’m scheduled for my bypass on September 26

17 minutes ago, SpartanMaker said:

I think it's a great idea. Were I you, I'd focus on cleaning up my diet, e.g. start eliminating the junk and focus on eating more lean Protein and vegetables. Even low carb junk is still junk, so it's best to avoid it.

I can understand the desire to be lower than your spouse, but I honestly think 125 is way too low for you. Obese people have enlarged hearts and livers, denser, heavier bones, and increased blood supplies to carry blood to all that fat. As a result, you can't use "averages" based on height (such as BMI) as a guide. The best bet would be to use your percentage of body fat and pick a health body fat from something like this:

image.png.ffe885bb5f411df11abaef34712ef091.png

My best guess would be that somewhere between 150 and 175 would probably put you in the right range. If you know you actual percentage of body fat now, I can calculate a better number for you. Remember too that if you get to a higher weight, you can always set a new lower goal if you don't like the way you look and feel at that weight. On the other hand, if you set a goal that's too low, you'll just get frustrated trying to reach an unattainable goal.

Oh thank you for this information! My current body fat according to my scale is about 50%. And you are right that is probably very unattainable. I have never been that low in my life. Except maybe when I was in THIRD GRADE. ha. If you could help me choose a new goal, that would be awesome. Thank you! I did quit soda a few weeks ago. Now I need to quit milk. That is like so hard for me for some reason. I drink up to 4 16 oz glasses a day. Not everyday. Some days is 1-2. But I know a lot of my weight comes from liquid calories. I am going to work hard on that this month. I am going to start my preop diet tomorrow of two shakes and 1 meal. Lots of koolaid with splenda to get me through lol

9 minutes ago, kellyarw95 said:

My current body fat according to my scale is about 50%.

Based on that, and a starting weight of 345, that means your lean mass (muscles, organs, bones, etc.), is 172. While you will lose some of that lean mass as well as fat post surgery, I hope you can see why 125 is just too low. If we pick a healthy percentage of body fat of 27%, and use a proprietary calculator I developed that assumes a certain percentage loss of lean mass into account, that would put you somewhere between 185 and 220. I know that's a lot higher than what you were thinking, but I feel that's a better goal for now. Like I said, once you get to 220 (or 200 if you want to split the middle), you can always adjust downward if you're not happy with how you feel.

27 minutes ago, SpartanMaker said:

Based on that, and a starting weight of 345, that means your lean mass (muscles, organs, bones, etc.), is 172. While you will lose some of that lean mass as well as fat post surgery, I hope you can see why 125 is just too low. If we pick a healthy percentage of body fat of 27%, and use a proprietary calculator I developed that assumes a certain percentage loss of lean mass into account, that would put you somewhere between 185 and 220. I know that's a lot higher than what you were thinking, but I feel that's a better goal for now. Like I said, once you get to 220 (or 200 if you want to split the middle), you can always adjust downward if you're not happy with how you feel.

My scale was on $20 on Amazon. SO it could be wrong. To be honest I HATE the idea of not being in onederland one day. LOL

I just started ordering things to get ready and to kind of spread out the purchases since I still have a month before I start the liquid diet. Anyone else buying stuff yet and what are you getting? I bought myself a pill dispenser that has up to 4 options daily since I'll be taking the ProCare chewables for one month and then the capsules. I have to have 2 calcium chews a day with that and my thyroid meds too. I bought only a month worth of the chewables and a 3 month supply of the capsules. I tried 2 different protien drinks and I like the premier over the ensure that the Drs office gave me. So I have a few flavors of that. I don't want to drink them before I need them but I hope I like them when I do have to drink them. Its weird to me that Jello, pudding and yogurt are allowed on a liquid diet, but I'm not going to argue since I think I'll probably appreciate the thickness over broth. I'm a planner as you can tell and I just want to be prepared but not too much or it might even spoil beforeI get to use it. Anything else you guys are doing to get ready?
I'm a planner too, I don't have a date yet, but was told ud get a call in the next 2 weeks and my surgery would be set 3 weeks out .... but I've already bought stuff, I like the premier as well, I found Fruit Drinks by them on Amazon too, as well as protine Soups and puddings and such, type in beriatric must haves, alot of stuff pops up that we might not need need, but some I think will be very helpful...

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, Sd14810 said:

I'm a planner too, I don't have a date yet, but was told ud get a call in the next 2 weeks and my surgery would be set 3 weeks out .... but I've already bought stuff, I like the premier as well, I found Fruit Drinks by them on Amazon too, as well as protine Soups and puddings and such, type in beriatric must haves, alot of stuff pops up that we might not need need, but some I think will be very helpful...

You might also look into Protein waters. Gatorade makes one, as do other companies that don't have the electrolytes in them. There are a lot of folks on here that complain about not being able to hit their Water or protein goals early on, so I'm hopeful these will help me better hit both, since it's double-duty.