Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

11 minutes ago, Cassandra Maughan said:

Unfortunately they did check it about 5 times, it kept coming down but not where they wanted it to be:(. It didn’t help that they were using the automated machine that squeezes so tight it bruises your arm.

Hummm. Have you checked it since? Maybe you actually do have slightly elevated pressure that just began recently. It does just sort of come on one day. If so, they will most likely tell you how to alter your diet to try to bring it down on your own or start you on a low dose of BP meds which you hopefully won’t need in a few months cause you will be eating great and losing weight which often brings it down. It’s not always weight related though. It can be genetic. My husband hates the taste of salt and is tiny and he and his whole family has high BP. How long do you have before your surgery? Can you get in to see someone (family dr or even NP at surgeons office). I think the pills start to work almost instantly because he can feel somehow when he forgets his and feels better shortly after he takes it. If you have a little time I would get a cuff at Walmart or just go frequently and use theirs for free to test and see if it is running a little higher than the past first but I’m not sure if your already doing pre op how much time you have to figure it out. The manual cuff are fairly inexpensive If you know how to read them (not sure how easy that would be to do on yourself though). The machine ones were like $20-30 If I remember correctly. The ideal way to go about it would be to make appt with family dr and get a cuff and notebook and start logging it several times a day for like a week. Your BP, what you were doing before and maybe even what you ate. Then take that with you to dr along with what your BP was that day and go from there.

37 minutes ago, Cassandra Maughan said:

Unfortunately they did check it about 5 times, it kept coming down but not where they wanted it to be:(. It didn’t help that they were using the automated machine that squeezes so tight it bruises your arm.

I forgot to add. If you did get the cuff and take it at home several times and it’s fine now, hopefully that would help you relax when you go for surgery knowing it really was just a fluke that day and it will be fine.

2 minutes ago, Cassandra Maughan said:

Thanks, that is what I am going to try. I have a cuff coming from Amazon today and if it’s still high I am going to ask my doctor for a prescription. I only have until 9/12 to get it sorted out!

They may ask you for that log so it could T hurt to start one. I think they asked him to take it three times a day around the same time. Also, just because of the time crunch, you may consider scheduling an appt with whatever dr you will ask for the rx from just so you have it. Just be sure to cancel a little ahead of time so they can fill the slot if you don’t need it.

Edited by ShoppGirl

11 minutes ago, Cassandra Maughan said:

Thanks, that is what I am going to try. I have a cuff coming from Amazon today and if it’s still high I am going to ask my doctor for a prescription. I only have until 9/12 to get it sorted out!

More food for thought here...

Too small of a cuff can significantly impact the BP reading and make it seem like your BP is much higher than it really is. I've found way too many healthcare professionals don't know this, especially when examining obese people. If they are barely able to get the cuff on you and it sounds like it's going to come off when in use, those are signs it's too small.

https://www.abstractsonline.com/pp8/?_ga=2.43661667.795188704.1646150369-78844285.1609356599#!/10553/presentation/491

On 9/1/2022 at 12:44 PM, La El said:

I got the call to be at the hospital at 10:00 am tomorrow. Surgery is around noon. Here we go!

Hope all went well.

Mine is on the 12th! So excited!!!!

Mine is also on the 12… been on the post op diet… feeling pretty good and excited for my new journey

Day 4 of the pre op diet! I am tired of shakes and popsicles!!! I want hot wings so bad!!! That is all…

15 hours ago, Slwhurst said:

Day 4 of the pre op diet! I am tired of shakes and popsicles!!! I want hot wings so bad!!! That is all…

I start tomorrow, not looking forward to it lol. Going to fill out my journal and take my before pictures and measurements today. You feeling any better yet?

On 09/04/2022 at 09:36, Hope4NewMe said:

I start tomorrow, not looking forward to it lol. Going to fill out my journal and take my before pictures and measurements today. You feeling any better yet?

Day 5 and I was planning on kayaking today but my body and the weather are not cooperating. My boyfriend looked at me and said I had no color to me but I am here and not hungry just no energy. Maybe I will adjust soon!

20 minutes ago, Slwhurst said:

Day 5 and I was planning on kayaking today but my body and the weather are not cooperating. My boyfriend looked at me and said I had no color to me but I am here and not hungry just no energy. Maybe I will adjust soon!

This is what I'm worried about. I'm trying to stay active now to help with recovery, but if I have no energy, it's going to be harder. I start the pre-op diet Tuesday.

On 09/04/2022 at 12:50, SpartanMaker said:

This is what I'm worried about. I'm trying to stay active now to help with recovery, but if I have no energy, it's going to be harder. I start the pre-op diet Tuesday.

Yours might not be so bad you have to remember I am on shakes only and clear liquid.< /p>

Sept 20!

I’m new here too. I’m from NH and my surgery date is Sept. 15th. Anyone else having fun on the pre-op liquid diet? I’ve done ok, but I have cheated a tiny bit.