Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

1 hour ago, tx2az said:

I start the pre-op diet tomorrow for 2 weeks, surgery Sept 1st. Pre-op diet -2-3 Protein Shakes a day and 1 meal of 3 oz lean Protein, 2 cups cooked or raw specific veggies and 1 cup fresh specific fruit (optional). I am so excited! Never thought I would say that about a diet!

Welcome! Do you follow that diet for both of the weeks? Mine is similar except I can only do the meals the 1st week but the second week is only liquids. Its interesting to me all the different ways that Drs guide us through this process.

On 08/16/2022 at 15:54, Hope4NewMe said:

I agree, my brain does not want to do it lol. I'm sure we'll be ok though :)

08/16/2022 07:05 PM, goldnstar7 said:

Oooh I found my surgery twin!! I’m having VSG that day! I’m so excited and nervous all at the same time . I feel the same way you feel having done so many diets in the past and failing. We got this!

Yay!! Having someone go through this at the same time will be awesome. Do you have to do a liquid diet too? It seems so close and yet so far away :)

Lol no my pre op diet starts on the 5th . I’m so thankful it’s more of a low carb diet. I can still eat meat and certain veggies. What about you do you have to do liquid? At one point they scheduled my surgery for this month and I was noooo I need time lol. Right now I’m just slowly stocking up on Protein Shakes and whatnot. Have you gotten a lot of supplies yet?

I also start my pre-op diet on the 5th but my 2 weeks are split. The 1st week I can have 1 meal (high Protein, low carb ) per day but the second week is only liquids. I also have to keep my calories under 800 per day - yuck. You sound very much like my twin. I have 4 different kinds of premier shakes, 5 yummy sounding Keto shakes, several different types of broth and canned Soups that I can strain, pudding, Jello and I'll buy yogurt when it gets closer. I also have a clever fox journal that has spots for pictures and measurements to keep me motivated. I'm as prepared as much as I think I can be. Thinking and preparing keeps me busy and makes the time pass faster. I get more and more nervous the closer it gets, but excited too. Can't wait to have a new me :)

Surgery set for Sept 9!!! I’m working on stocking up on Vitamins now. My doc recommends Bariatric Advantage brand?? Anyone have feedback on this?

12 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

What types of food are people planning on eating for the pureed phase? The idea of blending my food grosses me out. I think I could do baby food and I have no idea why that is any different. Baby food is expensive and blending would have seasoning so logically would taste better but just the idea of eating blended food is really hard mentally. Any good food ideas would be greatly appreciated!

My paperwork says I can have eggs and soft tofu for pureed, so I'll probably try to soft scramble eggs with cheese. Small curd cottage cheese will probably also be my friend, as I already love it and plan on making it sweet with pureed fruit like peaches or savory with mustard or hot sauce. Refried Beans thinned with chicken broth, Greek yogurt, and mashed cauliflower or potato cheddar Soup with added unflavored Protein Powder are some ideas. I once ate at a place that had pureed carrots with cinnamon and maybe I'll try recreating that. Maybe shredded to hell crock pot chicken???

Just remember if you add Protein powder to anything hot, it will ball up and curdle, so you have let it cool and slowly mix it in.

7 hours ago, loli_lotus said:

My paperwork says I can have eggs and soft tofu for pureed, so I'll probably try to soft scramble eggs with cheese. Small curd cottage cheese will probably also be my friend, as I already love it and plan on making it sweet with pureed fruit like peaches or savory with mustard or hot sauce. Refried Beans thinned with chicken broth, Greek yogurt, and mashed cauliflower or potato cheddar Soup with added unflavored Protein Powder are some ideas. I once ate at a place that had pureed carrots with cinnamon and maybe I'll try recreating that. Maybe shredded to hell crock pot chicken? ??

Just remember if you add Protein powder to anything hot, it will ball up and curdle, so you have let it cool and slowly mix it in.

Thank you for those ideas! I can actually see the carrots and cinnamon as being yummy as well as the cheese and fruit. So that gives me something I can work with. I guess I was just imagining something like a full meal being blended at once and that did not sound good at all. If I take pieces of it like fruits or veggies, I might be able to do that. Refried Beans and guacamole sounds ok too. I probably can live on mashed potatoes but even though it's an allowed food, it seems like it wouldn't be that healthy. I had no idea about the Protein Powder not going into hot food, so thank you for that too!

8 hours ago, loli_lotus said:

My paperwork says I can have eggs and soft tofu for pureed, so I'll probably try to soft scramble eggs with cheese. Small curd cottage cheese will probably also be my friend, as I already love it and plan on making it sweet with pureed fruit like peaches or savory with mustard or hot sauce. Refried Beans thinned with chicken broth, Greek yogurt, and mashed cauliflower or potato cheddar Soup with added unflavored Protein Powder are some ideas. I once ate at a place that had pureed carrots with cinnamon and maybe I'll try recreating that. Maybe shredded to hell crock pot chicken? ??

You might want to consider that a lot of people have problems with eggs early on. It sounds weird to me because when I have tummy problems, it's one of the only things that I can tolerate.

I'm also curious about the fruit? My program does not allow fruit until 1 month post-op. I assume due to the sugar content and the possibility of dumping syndrome.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure you have some other options ready in the event some of your choices aren't well tolerated.

One thing I figured I'd try is tuna or chicken blended with fat free mayo as a way to make "tuna salad" or "chicken salad".

I guess it's a difference in the Drs rules because my Dr allows 4 oz of fruit juice per day and does say any non stringy fruit or veggie as long as it's well pureed. So weird how many different ways this surgery can be handled. chicken salad might be a good thing but at the moment meat is the big thing I'm scared to try pureed. By the time I've had a month of liquids, anything might be yummy then. So I'm collecting all these ideas, ty!

1 hour ago, Hope4NewMe said:

I guess it's a difference in the Drs rules...

For sure. It's actually surprising to me just how different they seem to be?

Here's mine:

Pre-op: Two weeks long -- Only 3-4 Protein Shakes per day and unlimited clear, sugar-free liquids (which can include SF Popsicles and SF Jello).

Post-Op Stage 1: Days 1-3 -- Only Sugar-Free Clear Liquids

Stage 2: Days 4-7 -- Add in Protein Drinks, Skim or 1% Milk. Can also use Unsweetened soy or almond milk.

Stage 3a: Days 8-14 -- Add in Cottage cheese, Yogurt and/or Ricotta Cheese

Stage 3b: Days 15-30 -- Add in pureed meats, Beans, Low Fat Cream Soups, Cooked Pureed Veggies. eggs allowed, but must be soft. fruit not allowed.

Stage 4: Days 31-60 -- Low Fat Solid Foods, focused on Protein first and introducing only 1 new food at a time. Fruits and veggies okay, but should be cooked. Best to avoid nuts and seeds.

Stage 5: Lifelong -- Add in Raw fruits and veggies as tolerated.

How does that compare to everyone else?

1 hour ago, SpartanMaker said:

For sure. It's actually surprising to me just how different they seem to be?

Here's mine:

Pre-op: Two weeks long -- Only 3-4 Protein Shakes per day and unlimited clear, sugar-free liquids (which can include SF Popsicles and SF Jello).

Post-Op Stage 1: Days 1-3 -- Only sugar-free Clear Liquids

Stage 2: Days 4-7 -- Add in Protein Drinks, Skim or 1% Milk. Can also use Unsweetened soy or almond milk.

Stage 3a: Days 8-14 -- Add in Cottage cheese, Yogurt and/or Ricotta cheese

Stage 3b: Days 15-30 -- Add in pureed meats, Beans, Low Fat Cream Soups, Cooked pureed Veggies. eggs allowed, but must be soft. fruit not allowed.

Stage 4: Days 31-60 -- Low Fat Solid Foods, focused on Protein first and introducing only 1 new food at a time. Fruits and veggies okay, but should be cooked. Best to avoid nuts and seeds.

Stage 5: Lifelong -- Add in Raw fruits and veggies as tolerated.

Mine is:

Pre-op: 1 day before surgery - clear liquids only, ie Water, clear broth, fruit flavored drinks, plain/flavored gelatins, smooth fruit iced or popsicles, Protein water. Possibly 2 ounces of milk of magnesia.

Post op hospital: diet cranberry juice, fortified protein gelatin/drinks, protein supplement drinks.

Stage 1 (wk 1-3): low-carb low-fat protein drinks pre-made or powder, non fat or 1% milk, unsweetened soy milk, sugar-free non-fat pudding, sugar-free low carb yogurt or plain kefir, strained reduced fat cream Soup, strained broth soup, sugar-free crystal light, Gelatin, popsicles, herbal tea.

Stage 2 (wk 4-6): eggs, soft tofu, protein drinks from stage 1, low carb Greek yogurt, plain kefir, cottage cheese, other soft cheeses, sugar-free non-fat pudding or custard , reduced fat cream Soups pureed chunks, pureed soups, non-fat refried Beans, pureed tuna or chicken salad, pureed soft cooked non-gassy vegetables, unsweetened applesauce, pureed soft fruit with no seeds or skins.

Stage 3 (permanent lifestyle) : continue to take in Fluid and protein goals, gradually introduced solid foods one at a time, chew all foods until smooth and the consistency of applesauce.

Then it gives a bunch of foods to limit or minimize for lifelong healthy eating, but it's mostly non brainers like fried foods, high fat meats, ice creams, french fries, granola bars, large portions of fat etc. It does say avoid gas forming vegetables unless they don't bother me, or stringy vegetables like celery and asparagus unless they're cut into small pieces.

1 hour ago, SpartanMaker said:

I agree it is amazing the differences in the programs.

Pre-op 2 weeks but split. 1st week I replace 2 meals with liquids but can eat 1 meal of solid food. Second week only liquids. Also calorie restriction of 800 max per day. Liquids allowed are Protein Shakes, skim milk, SF Jello, SF pudding, 100% fruit juice (4 oz per day), broth, SF popsicles ,low-fat SF yogurt

Post op - Same as above but can add in thinned cream of wheat, and strained cream Soups. Expected to last 1-2 weeks but can only be advanced with Dr permission. food not allowed are drinks with added sugar, caffeine or carbonation, and whole milks

Pureed stage - once allowed I can add in scrambled eggs, low fat cottage cheese, mashed Beans, applesauce, baby food, and any pureed fruits, veggies and meats. Not allowed is previous list plus fried foods and concentrated sweets. Expected time frame is 2 weeks but can advance as I feel comfortable.

Mechanical soft - add in boiled eggs, fish, tofu, ground lean meat, low fat canned chicken and fish, canned fruits (no syrup), soft fresh fruits, soft cooked veggies, cooked cereals made with milk, beans, and toasted whole wheat bread. Not allowed crunchy foods, rice, popcorn, high-fat meats, high -fat starches. Can't advance with out Dr approval.

Solid foods - life long Add foods in one at a time to check for tolerance, add in whole wheat toast, whole grain cereals, wheat tortillas and whole wheat Pasta. Still not allowed whole milk, high fat foods, fried foods, popcorn, rice, and white flour.

Just as a side question- why do I have so many underlined words in my posts? I don't purposely do that at all. It's kind of annoying and weird.