Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Female hormones pre/post surgery

Ok, ladies… this is the stuff many of us wonder about but don’t talk enough about… we all understand the impact of our hormones and cycles on our lives, but how does the presurgical diets, surgery and post surgical steps impact your hormones and cycles?

Did it have little to no impact? Leave you a quivering mess? Make periods come more or less often? Or randomly?

experiences from any stage of the process and stage of life is helpful!!

I am pre-surgical but have been loosing weight and my cycles have gotten longer and less consistent when I have them (it also could partially be my age of 42). I also used to feel a hormone surge right before my cycle would start and that has shifted. I am going to talk to my regular dr in two weeks about me, but wanted to hear other experiences.

Thanks for sharing!!

Edited by KimA-GA

I was post-menopausal when I had surgery, so I wasn't affected at all, but many younger women experience changes in their cycles, moodiness, etc the first few months after surgery. It's supposedly because estrogen is stored in fat cells, and a lot of it is released during rapid weight loss. It stabilizes again after the first few months, though.

I am on the Depo shot since 2017, so its been yearsssssss since I had a period. Surgery did not change that for me. However, those few weeks post-op, maybe 6-8 weeks, I was extremely emotional. I was tired, crabby, sad, and overly sensitive. Thankfully, I knew to expect it and had given my family a heads up. They gave me lots of space and I took lots of naps. Since then things have leveled out and I feel like myself again.

I have PCOS and have super abnormal periods. I was spotting for almost a year (sometimes heavy) before surgery. When I was losing weight rapidly post-surgery in the first month my period stopped and became normal for the first time in my life.

Now I have an IUD to drop my estrogen levels down so I don't end up having uterine cancer in the future. I don't have any kids and would love to be able to get pregnant so my doctor recommended the IUD for hormonal purposes.

I had regular cycles prior to surgery and had one child already. I was on the mini pill during surgery and I believe I got one extra period post op but after that cycle things evened out again and I went back to being regular. I'm over a year out and currently pregnant with number 2. I was cleared to try around 1 year post op and it happened quickly for us. So I would say I had little hormonal effects.

I have PCOS and my periods were irregular. MY cycle was 6-8 weeks. After surgery, I had my period for like two weeks in the first month. Now I'm spotting but I I have minimal PMS symptoms. I'm about 10 weeks post op.

I was on the pill so periods were still regular but they were longer and I had breakthrough bleeding for the first three months.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Thanks to everyone so far!

what about pms/hormones around periods/cycles?

Edited by KimA-GA