Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help? i can barely drink anything.....

I'm on day 4 post Balloon insertion. Seriously, i'm so bloated and uncomfortable that i can barely take a swig of something without having pain. Is this normal? How does one stay hydrated when you hurt so badly. I am taking all the correct meds but maybe i need some tips? How long can one go without enough calories??

Please excuse my ignorance. I know it says to try to get 64 oz of liquid a day but i'm nowhere near that and am wondering if that's also why i feel so bad. Anyone else have this same ache and bloat into the 4 day mark?

I did not even know they still did the balloon. But with any surgery it takes time to heal. I was no where near the 64oz after my gastric sleeve It took me several weeks to get enough Water in. even now 3+ months post op but now its more of having to remember to drink water,. If you keep having issues i would call your surgeons office to get advise.

Hey Liveaboard. thank u for the input. the same situation likely still applies compared to actual surgery. how on earth did you stay hydrated? did you feel really weak and dehydrated like i do? how on earth did you force drink? i guess you had enough in you to not like, pass out? how do you feel at this point? is it easy to drink for you now?

You will have a lot of swelling which would be making drinking painful. Plus, you’d have discomfort & bloating from the procedure. You will feel better & it will get easier.

Try warm drinks as they are more soothing. All you can do is sip, sip, sip. Some set an alarm so they sip every couple of minutes, you can count all liquids you are consuming including any shakes, broths, etc. as your plan prescribes. Don’t worry if you aren’t exactly hitting your Fluid goal to begin but as long as you are pretty close & making an effort to get to it. Watch for symptoms of dehydration though just in case.

PS Ensure you’re taking short walks to help with the bloating too.

Definitely drink warm liquids and sip. Don't try to drink "normal" amounts because at 4 days out, there's no way you can do that. Don't drink from a straw, avoid carbonation, and like I said...sip, sip, sip.

If you do start to see signs of dehydration such as darker urine contact your team and they should be able to arrange for you to get iv fluids as an out patient. No need to wait for it to become emergent. I went and got them one time and it was just enough to get me over the hump. I was able to drink enough on my own from then on.