Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Athletic Shoe Suggestions

I am on my feet the majority of my work day and I cannot find a good pair of shoes that last! I assume it is because of my weight. I am several months away from my surgery date so I am looking for any suggestions for a good pair of tennis shoes that have great support and comfort.

That’s a very individual thing and preferences vary, but I’ve always enjoyed New Balance shoes.

Hoka brand. I was having a hard time on my feet last year pre-surgery and a friend recommended these. I was wearing Aveas previously. They offered arch support but not as mich as Hokas. Super comfortable.

So after i had surgery. I got my first job that required standing for hours in over 15 years. It was rough. Very rough for the first few weeks. I tried different decent priced shoes, Inserts ect... None worked. Finnally after googling and reading. i came across one pair each website kept recommending. But they were very pricey. I am a person who buys typically 40 dollar shoes so spending this much was hard lol. But i did and trust me i would do it again in a heart beat. Now over 2 months into this job where i am standing for 9 hours a day 50 hours a week my feet no longer hurt. I dont know if you are male or female. Dont know if shoes differ between the two genders but for me a guy these shoes are amazing.

aw.png

Why not try a sports store where they do those tests to see how you walk & the pressure points on your feet. I did & ended up with a brand I’d never heard of but boy they were great shoes. They were cheaper than those big name brands too not that price was a consideration. Comfort & support was all I wanted. I did it again after I lost weight. I had different needs & a different brand was recommended. They’ve been great too. You don’t have to buy from the store. You could go elsewhere to buy their recommendations.

When my spouse and I were getting serious about walking Post-op and after a fair chunk of research, we chose New Balance. We found them very comfortable. My wife chooses them to this day. They are typically reasonably priced.

After I established to myself that binge running was going to be a thing in my life, I eventually changed to Nike Free, which has much less support, but still more than you'd expect. It felt close to running barefoot. They aren't cheap, and now are harder to find. When I was doing 90+ mile weeks, I went through a pair about every 6 weeks. Even though I can't run any longer, I still buy Nike Free exclusively because they are so light. They last a lot longer now.

Good luck,

Tek

We have local stores that will watch you walk and suggest shoes based on your foot and gait. For me, Brooks Glycerin were the best for me based on how my foot strikes the ground (Supination). I have very turned out feet when I stand naturally and to compensate I tend to roll my weight to the outer edge of my foot following a heel strike.

Also, look at the mileage rating on the shoe. Most shoes should be replaced around 300-400 miles of wear. If you track steps 10000 steps is about 4.5 to 5 miles depending on your gait. If you hit that six days a week, you are putting 27-30 miles on your shoes each week, so they would need to be replaced every 10 - 15 weeks.

I have a pair of Brooks and a pair of New Balance - both high quality running shoes. I prefer the Brooks, they are more supportive and comfortable, but I do think the New Balance are a little more structured and my hold up a little longer.

I agree with others that the best thing you can do is go to a good shoe store and get fitted and let them help you find a quality shoe. I wore subpar, off the shelf, whatever-fits-is-good-enough shoes for YEARS and when I started exercising regularly they absolutely killed my feet and caused shin splints. Having well made, well fitting shoes for working out has made a HUGE difference. (Full disclosure: I ONLY wear shoes when I workout. I am barefoot or in flip flops 100% of the time. I despise shoes....)

I had started walking a lot and needed a good pair of shoes so my feet and knees didn't hurt as much. I did some research I ended up with Brooks ghost 14 they are beautiful on the inside super comfortable also found in store so I could try on.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

My foot doctor recommends ASICS. He told me to choose running shoes because they are designed to take the pressure. I also where New Balance, but I prefer my ASICS for the treadmill.

ASICS!!

On 7/23/2022 at 1:36 AM, Kcfromkc said:

I am on my feet the majority of my work day and I cannot find a good pair of shoes that last! I assume it is because of my weight. I am several months away from my surgery date so I am looking for any suggestions for a good pair of tennis shoes that have great support and comfort.

If you haven't found anything yet or aren't happy with your choice, I can look for them here. You can choose any color you like from the presented, and they are quite durable. If they do not suit you, I saw here some advice about ASICS - it can be a really good choice

New Balance for the win. Great shoes, particularly is you have a wider foot

Hokas are good most places have a machine to test your feet and how much pressure they put down

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app