Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost 80 lbs pre surgery

I’m having a hard time making a final decision on the surgery. About a year ago I weighed 350. In the last few months I really decided to step up my weight loss game.

I’ve now lost 80 lbs and am 270. Obviously I still qualify for the surgery, but I’m having a hard time deciding on moving forward. I’m still losing about 10 lbs a month, but I know weight regain is a huge issue for people who don’t have the surgery.

Any advice or suggestions?

I started at 340 pounds when I decided to get the surgery. My surgeon wanted me to lose 20 pounds before surgery, which seemed impossible at the time, but I really committed to changing my lifestyle and I lost 70 pounds in the 5 months before surgery.

I had similar doubts about whether to go through with it or just keep doing what I was doing, but even after losing 70 pounds, I was still morbidly obese and had a long way to go. Each pound is harder to lose than the last, and I didn’t think I could get where I wanted to be without the help of the surgery, so I went through with it. I went on to lose another 130 pounds, which I don’t think would have been possible without the surgery. I think part of the reason I was able to lose so much weight before surgery was the anticipation of the surgery — knowing I would have that crutch to help me the rest of the way.

That said, the surgery is permanent, and it’s a big commitment, so if you aren’t 100% sure about it, there’s nothing wrong with deciding to see how far you can go without surgery before making that decision.

I think this is a decision only you can make. You know if you need the extra help that the surgery will give you. It seems like you are definitely on the right track and doing amazing!

Even with the surgery a lifestyle change is necessary. The surgery is only a tool for your weightloss arsenal. Eventually you will be able to eat food that will cause weight gain and you'll have to make a choice. The only difference is you won't be able to eat as much or absorb as much.

It sounds like you're doing really great!

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

I think you should get the surgery done. I was sort of in similar boat few YEARS ago.
Basically I finally build the courage to go with the surgery and started my research and started to lose some weight I think it was 40lbs and then though oh if I can lose this much I don’t need surgery. I was wrong. Soon I hit a stall and to move the stall I was told to have some extra carbs and calories and then it was just so hard. I regret not getting the surgery.
so few years later I’m back on researching gastric bypass and scheduled my seminars at 2 hospitals.

Well my BMI is only 35 and now I’ve lost weight my surgery is about at the end of the year. I know I can get off my weight even 10% but it comes back soon. So I’d like to hope surgery helps to remain weight loss as my body doesn’t feel so much hunger after MGB? Am I right?