Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mini-cheat 5 days post op

I've been on the full liquid diet like I should, but my daughters made a batch of tater tot coins in the air fryer and I took one. Just one. I feel guilty because I know it's not the best for my healing stomach. However, I can say that at least it was only one coin (not even a full size tot). There is only so much sweets one can handle (liquid diets are like 90% sweet and 10% broth). I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon, but wanted to know if anyone else has slipped?

I have asked nicely that they don't make those foods in front of me while I'm recovering, and they agree. I clearly have more issues with food addiction than originally thought. I will continue working on that too.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

It's not their fault. You seem to have all your excuses ready.

Though, If I had to be honest, and I am, there is no way I could have followed through on the draconian diets of today. And I didn't have anyone cooking treats in front of me.

Get some professional help before you create lasting problems. You can only benefit.

Good luck,

Tek

I’m day 4 post op today and I REALLY needed some savory too - I totally get what you’re saying about the sweet!

I made a Soup with celery broccoli onions and broth and then strained it. A quarter cup of that with a little salt totally satisfied the the savory/sodium craving. Don’t beat yourself up about it, like you say it was only one! and you don’t need to be told that eating crunchy rough food like crispy crown probably isn’t the best for new staples.

It's not the end of the world but take it seriously - if you couldn't follow the rules by day 5, what's going to happen by day 50? Or 500?

After I was sleeved in 2016 I did extremely well at first, I followed the plan to a T, I never cheated, and I dropped 120 lbs in about 6 months or so.

Then I figured I could splurge a little here and there, have a few bites of a snack, because what's the big deal, right?

It ended up turning into a vicious cycle where I ate more and more crap and eventually I regained almost all of the weight I had lost and was absolutely miserable and depressed and feeling like a complete and utter failure.

I got the revision to bypass in Nov 2021 and am down nearly 100 pounds, following the rules and doing everything I'm supposed to, and always keeping in mind what happened last time.

Don't beat yourself up too bad but if you feel guilty - GOOD! Use that and remember it when you have cravings in the future. Remember this isn't a magic bullet, it's a tool, and it's up to you how you use it.

You haven't failed because of one mistake, but you might fail if you let it become two mistakes, then three, and so on.

14 hours ago, HealthierMe2022 said:

I have asked nicely that they don't make those foods in front of me while I'm recovering, and they agree. I clearly have more issues with food addiction than originally thought. I will continue working on that too.

I am pre op. food addiction is real and hard! I am trying to overcome now with mindfulness and journaling and lots and lots of learning how to forgive myself.

and maybe it will be easier when you can have the soft foods. Lots of great roasted veggies you can purée into thick Soups that are easy to prepare (and freeze great)

The post op diet stages are pretty important. It’s not just about weight loss but about protecting your healing tummy. It sounds like you got lucky that nothing bad happened this time but depending on how that went down it could’ve cause some serious issues that landed you in the hospital. I wouldn’t beat yourself cause what’s done is done but definitely don’t do it again. It’s seriously NOT worth it.

I second the safety issue which is the main reason there is a post-op diet. Your stomach doesn't fully heal till 6 to 8 weeks later. It is dangerous to go off post-op plan especially early on. I know someone who slipped early on, in the 3rd or 4th week and she ended up with serious complications.

They tell us in our seminar a few specific horror stories of people that didn’t mind the post op diet and splurged a little…

and unfortunately died because they popped their staples/tore their stomach.

Not worth your life my friend. I would be educating my family on how serious this is for you. Maybe they can be be a little more courteous about their meal prep. But really as said, it isn’t their responsibility.

I wouldn’t want to see you in the hospital or worse all for a silly tater tot 😬

Really glad you didn't come to any harm and I totally understand that craving - I've had so many different cravings at different stages! Could you try some clear stock or bouillon when the others around you are eating proper food? Or just take yourself away from the dining room for a few weeks? It's such a short time and it's so important for your long term health, as the others have said. Otherwise - forgive yourself, you are human as we all are. We're all here to support you - all the very best on your journey - you'll be telling us about your 100lb loss in no time I'm sure :91_thumbsup: