Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just want to eat 😓

Im just thinking of food constantly!
i don’t eat large amounts of course, i have good restriction but i eat small amounts of different things frequently.
i don’t feel I’ve fixed my relationship with food, i still am infatuated with food.
I don’t know how to fix this.
i don’t just eat for sustenance, i eat because i enjoy food.
i feel like this destines me to fail!! And i don’t know how to fix it.
My weight loss is good but i know it won’t stay that way if i can’t fix this.

For many food was a source of comfort & this has been taken away from you. This is a stressful time so it isn’t unusual for you to be constantly thinking about the food you can’t eat which you would have turned to to soothe your stress in the past.

Of course knowing this doesn’t really stop the the thinking which is why so many find therapy a great help. A therapist will support you work through the why you eat, the cravings, etc. & help you develop strategies to deal with the issues & manage the cravings, etc. Your surgeon or medical team should be able to recommend someone who can guide you.

I enjoy food. I like to dine out at very good restaurants. I’m just carefully with my food choices & my portion sizes. Over the time since my surgery I find I do look at food & eating differently. That old adage of eating to live & not living to eat is very meaningful for me now. My mind is not constantly thinking about food & what I’m going to eat next. Food still gives me pleasure but it’s the pleasure of flavours & textures & smells. I don’t use it to soothe or comfort me. I don’t eat to feel better.

It takes work. It’s a huge change of thinking & it takes time. It’s why a therapist can be so helpful. Don’t give up. You can do it.

1 hour ago, Brittneykdelacruz said:

Im just thinking of food constantly!
i don’t eat large amounts of course, i have good restriction but i eat small amounts of different things frequently.
i don’t feel I’ve fixed my relationship with food, i still am infatuated with food.
I don’t know how to fix this.
i don’t just eat for sustenance, i eat because i enjoy food.
i feel like this destines me to fail!! And i don’t know how to fix it.
My weight loss is good but i know it won’t stay that way if i can’t fix this.

I went through this too and still have days like this. Find a distraction, do you like art and craft ? I make cupcakes then give them away lol much to the delight of the recipient. I have also taken up kayaking with a friend. I think the trick is to have something else to do. I struggle on days were I don't have much to do and nightshifts when it's quiet.

Be kind to yourself,

how far out are you ? I am 1 year in a few days it's hard but you will get there.

23 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

I went through this too and still have days like this. Find a distraction, do you like art and craft ? I make cupcakes then give them away lol much to the delight of the recipient. I have also taken up kayaking with a friend. I think the trick is to have something else to do. I struggle on days were I don't have much to do and nightshifts when it's quiet.

Be kind to yourself,

how far out are you ? I am 1 year in a few days it's hard but you will get there.

I do love cooking for others. Ive thought about trying to learn to cook really well, like culinary classes or something so i can cook quality- learn to make good food

i make a lot of throw together meals but if i learned to make high quality meals from scratch it would keep me busy and i would be doing something i enjoy.

i used to draw, i drew really well but ive lost my technique and just dont have time anymore it seems. I work a very demanding work from home animal rescue job. I work from the time i wake until I go to sleep on call 7 days a week. I also have 3 small children.
im only 2.5 months out so early for these kind of urges i think 😩