Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three years ago I was revised from VSG to RNY for GERD. I’m very pleased that I am still GERD free and no new problems (let’s hope it stays that way)

Everything feels very normal now and I can barely feel any major difference from VSG let alone life prior to WLS. I know it’s different but I’ve settled in.

I moved early 2021 so I’m establishing care with a new bariatric practice for continued yearly monitoring/testing.

I don’t see a lot of revision postings by anyone as far out as I am, so if anyone is out there please let all know how it’s going and if anyone has questions feel free to ask ❤️

I am approaching 1 year of my sleeve to RNY revision. Although I am not as far out as you are, I wanted to post that I am SO happy about my revision and love that you posted about it. To live free of severe gerd is wonderful as well as the additional weight loss. As you noted, it is incredible to feel so normal, even before I had any WLS surgery.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I am approaching 1 year of my sleeve to RNY revision. Although I am not as far out as you are, I wanted to post that I am SO happy about my revision and love that you posted about it. To live free of severe gerd is wonderful as well as the additional weight loss. As you noted, it is incredible to feel so normal, even before I had any WLS surgery.

I’m very glad you are doing well! Any notable differences besides being GERD free?

I’m very glad you are doing well! Any notable differences besides being GERD free?
Better appetite control. It's never easy, of course, it always takes effort from all of us to eat the right things...Etc, but for some reason it's easier to say I will wait till tomorrow when my calories reset... etc. No digestive issues except mild Constipation now and then. My blood tests are way better this time around (vitamin/mineral and all my vitals). No more UTIs. Some reason I had tons during the sleeve, but once I got the RNY, they went away. Maybe the additional weight loss helped my bladder. Not sure.

It's been totally worth it. I wish I wasn't such a chicken back then and just had the bypass when suggested.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a revision in March From sleeve to rny due to GERD. I dont suffer from heartburn anymore which is great however I feel a lot less restriction with food and I find i am able to eat more than I was before and have actually gained 15lbs since my lowest weight after my sleeve in 2018. I’m feeling scared that I will continue to gain and feel like I shouldn’t have gotten the revision :(. Anyone else go through this?

Hi! I had a revision of my sleeve (VSG) to RNY on 8/29/22 for a hiatal hernia repair and severe acid reflux. Since then I feel like I’m doing okay and no longer have any acid reflux symptoms. My only concern is every time I drink something cold to room temperature my stomach hurts really bad. I can sip on warm Bone Broth and that doesn’t seem to bother me much. I know I’m just out of surgery and healing but should I still be feeling pain in my stomach almost two weeks out? Any insight as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated! 😊

On 9/8/2022 at 11:04 PM, Dogmom68 said:

Hi! I had a revision of my sleeve (VSG) to RNY on 8/29/22 for a hiatal hernia repair and severe acid reflux. Since then I feel like I’m doing okay and no longer have any acid reflux symptoms. My only concern is every time I drink something cold to room temperature my stomach hurts really bad. I can sip on warm Bone Broth and that doesn’t seem to bother me much. I know I’m just out of surgery and healing but should I still be feeling pain in my stomach almost two weeks out? Any insight as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated! 😊

I would definitely mention it to your surgeon for a real answer!

But if I was guessing (which I am btw): If it’s only happening when drinking cool to cold drinks maybe the temperature is causing vasoconstriction which is causing cramping. Maybe stick to warmer fluids until you and your surgeon figure out why it’s happening.

Edited by GreenTealael

On 09/11/2022 at 08:48, GreenTealael said:

I would definitely mention it to your surgeon for a real answer!

But if I was guessing (which I am btw): If it’s only happening when drinking cool to cold drinks maybe the temperature is causing vasoconstriction which is causing cramping. Maybe stick to warmer fluids until you and your surgeon figure out why it’s happening.

Thank you! That’s a really good thought!😁

I too had a lot of UTIs post sleeve! Isn’t that weird? And with the antibiotic restrictions post weight loss surgery they were hard to treat! Post revision I haven’t had one yet so yay! I’m glad I’m not the only one who experienced that with the sleeve…I thought I was just gross 😬

I too had a lot of UTIs post sleeve! Isn’t that weird? And with the antibiotic restrictions post weight loss surgery they were hard to treat! Post revision I haven’t had one yet so yay! I’m glad I’m not the only one who experienced that with the sleeve…I thought I was just gross [emoji51]

That's right. So strange. I had the most difficult time getting treatment because how often they occurred. "Too soon for another prescription for antibiotics..." Etc. Over 1 yr. 2 months now, not one UTI (I would've had 3 or 4 in that time frame pre-revision. I have no idea why the sleeve gave me constant UTIs. Never heard of it nor read about it so at the time, I didn't think it was connected. I honestly didn't think it was the sleeve until a couple of months after my revision, I was like... Wait, what happened to my constant UTIs? So glad there is someone else out there that can identify with me.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, redhead_che said:

I too had a lot of UTIs post sleeve! Isn’t that weird? And with the antibiotic restrictions post weight loss surgery they were hard to treat! Post revision I haven’t had one yet so yay! I’m glad I’m not the only one who experienced that with the sleeve…I thought I was just gross 😬

On 10/19/2022 at 10:34 PM, Tomo said:

That's right. So strange. I had the most difficult time getting treatment because how often they occurred. "Too soon for another prescription for antibiotics..." Etc. Over 1 yr. 2 months now, not one UTI (I would've had 3 or 4 in that time frame pre-revision. I have no idea why the sleeve gave me constant UTIs. Never heard of it nor read about it so at the time, I didn't think it was connected. I honestly didn't think it was the sleeve until a couple of months after my revision, I was like... Wait, what happened to my constant UTIs? So glad there is someone else out there that can identify with me.

The antibiotics restrictions after either WLS, was that ever explained?

Adding this for posterity: I don’t know how many people know this but D-Mannose is absolutely amazing for catching and stopping UTIs early. This product was recommended to me by a naturopath merchant many years ago and it has never let me down.

D761AB49-4E3D-4866-A228-A99175063CD6.jpeg

549DD380-7880-4292-A231-9482F130F30D.jpeg

Edited by GreenTealael

The antibiotics restrictions after either WLS, was that ever explained?
Adding this for posterity: I don’t know how many people know this but D-Mannose is absolutely amazing for catching and stopping UTIs early. This product was recommended to me by a naturopath merchant many years ago and it has never let me down.
D761AB49-4E3D-4866-A228-A99175063CD6.thumb.jpeg.e718e5949bb322f5475c0475b2fe65ce.jpeg
549DD380-7880-4292-A231-9482F130F30D.thumb.jpeg.e36fc6721b1f59f76d4d7d58e3b74d7c.jpeg
The antibody restriction was for everyone. No one can get antibiotics that often anymore due to the increasing problem of antibiotic resistance. Usually doctors would only ok a prescription every 3 months to any of their patients.

I haven't had one since my revision. Going on 15 months now, not a sign of it. Thanks for the tip about D-mannose. I hope to never get them as often like I did for years post vsg, pre revision. That was miserable. I never linked it to my vsg though until after I get my revision and they totally disappeared. Makes me wonder.