Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about getting surgery

Hi all,

I am working my way through my appointments to get my surgery. I am planning on the gastric sleeve as the bypass concerns me about internal hernia and malabsorption issues. I think the sleeve is the best choice for me, but I am concerned about chances that GERD will happen and I will be forced to get a revision to a bypass anyways. Have a lot of people had this issue? I am also worried about some horror stories I have read where people can't eat or keep food down or even eat. Are there a lot of situations like this? I'm probably overthinking a bit, but I know this is not reversible and I want to make sure I weigh all my options. Thanks for any help.

I had the sleeve done 12/2021. I was scare about GERD as well. My doctor said I had a small hernia and I've had GERD for over 30 years. However, it seems that since my surgery I don't have it as bad. I take Nexium once or twice a week and that seems to help me. I also take a good probiotic. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

If I were you I would ask your surgeon his statistics. How many of his patients have had to convert to bypass because of GERD. From what I have heard on here for the past 16 months it seems like for the most part it is people who already had some issues with GERD and it gets worse post surgery. And many times it’s manageable with PPI’s but I do see those who have to convert to bypass.

Edited by ShoppGirl

All surgeries have some sort of side effect or risk. Often they’re related to a pre-existing condition or a pre existing predilection. Sleeve surgery has relatively few side effects. Yes, gerd is a possibility. I agree with @ShoppGirl’s advice to ask your surgeon for their stats.

I had mild reflux before my surgery which I managed with diet & only rarely needed to take a ppi (couple of times a year). I still have reflux. It manifests differently but I still manage it a lot with my food choices & take a ppi every day. None of the others I know who had sleeve surgery have developed gerd so …

You usually hear about complications on forums, etc. because those people are seeking advice & support. People usually don’t post to say everything’s going great (though many of us here do 😉). I also think people are quick to share a so called ‘horror’ story because they are’t supportive of your choice to have the surgery. Everyone’s got a horror story to share about just about anything. You know those a friend of a friend of a friend stories. Actually talk to people who’ve had the surgery or read through the responses on this forum & you’ll find out about other’s true journeys. (Avoid Facebook groups as the ones I’ve stumbled upon tend to be negative & promote ways to cheat the surgery.)

All the best.

You are over thinking it as we all did, I had gerd before surgery I was on 40mg nexium as well as gaviscon liquid and tablets just to keep on top of it. I now take 20mg nexium and that's it and I am not sure I even need that but haven't been game to come off it yet. My surgeon said weightloss would help my gerd which it did. I have noticed the people who get gerd and revise to bypass also had a substantial weight gain as well. I have had zero issues with keeping food and drink down, had a few little omg I shouldn't have eaten/ drunk that so quick but after a few minutes it's all good and you don't do it again lol but honestly I a a week away from 12 months and I have zero problems. At the moment I am recovering from covid and I am suffering from lack of desire to eat or drink and have a bit of nausea but that's from covid not surgery.

I originally wanted sleeve but I had severe GERD. My surgeon said it was my choice but gave me his input for why he suggests Bypass. Explaining that it is more likely that sleeve patients end up with GERD even without having prior issues; while is tends to relieve (cure) GERD with Bypass patients.

My GERD was horrible, I mean HORRIBLE! I was on 2 prescriptions plus eating tums regularly and still had regular issues. Up a lot of nights vomiting fire! Some times so bad my voice/throat would be hoarse for days after and episode.

Long story short, I opted for bypass. No regrets. 3 months out and I am off ALL GERD medications and haven't eaten any tums. No sign of acid /GERD problems!

Thank you everyone. I do tend to overthink things. It just scares me because it's irreversible, but I also don't want to continue the life of yo-yo dieting. I see my surgeon on Thursday next week so I will definitely voice my concerns with him and go over my options.

Best thing I ever did for myself. Loving life again.

Hi! I had heartburn regularly before surgery. Not every day but frequently i had to take pepcid and tums.
Immediately following surgery it was worse and i was taking prescription pepcid twice daily, im 2.5 months out no and no longer take it most days. I need one pill every 4-5 days so its definitely improving.