Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre op diet for 3 weeks!

So after 3 long weeks of being on 2 Meal Replacements and 1 lunch the surgeon has now put me on 3 meal replacements and 0 food. Also, had to quit smoking well in my case vaping. How miserable!!! Has anyone else had to do anything similar? Also, I messed up a few times and smoked. Is that going to matter? Literally the hardest thing I have ever done.

The length of your pre op diet typically depends on your BMI. On your profile it shows its 66. Some surgeons wont even operate on anyone with a BMI higher than 55-60 and its for safety issues. The heavier you are the more dangerous being put under anesthesia is. So they want to get you into a safe zone with your weight. as for smoking, Yup my surgeon said the same thing that you gotta quit by a certain point before surgery. It helps with healing to not smoke. My surgeon said that if it was too hard to let them know and they would prescribe some medication and or the patch, gum. watch this video. start at around 2 minute mark.

1 hour ago, liveaboard15 said:

The length of your pre op diet typically depends on your BMI. On your profile it shows its 66. Some surgeons wont even operate on anyone with a BMI higher than 55-60 and its for safety issues. The heavier you are the more dangerous being put under anesthesia is. So they want to get you into a safe zone with your weight. as for smoking, Yup my surgeon said the same thing that you gotta quit by a certain point before surgery. It helps with healing to not smoke. My surgeon said that if it was too hard to let them know and they would prescribe some medication and or the patch, gum. watch this video. start at around 2 minute mark.

Yeah thank you. I think you or someone has sent this to me before which I completely understand the safety stand point of it. I just have talked to soooo many people in the last six months if not longer some being my weight and no has had to starve there self for a month :). Which I am obviously doing it it's just the extremely difficult. Also, with the smoking my surgeon does not allow and Patches or other products to help you quit. :(

Yea

15 minutes ago, AmbiiNicole said:

Yea

Well I can’t say much about the length of your pre op cause I’m sure if that’s what your team requires you just gotta white knuckle it, but if you find you can’t quit vaping cold Turkey and you have to postpone, try slowly decreasing the mg of nicotine by mixing juices. I did that till I got down to zero and I vaped that for a while but then it was much easier to quit the physical habit without the nicotine addiction as well. Having said that, I did quit cigarettes cold Turkey years ago and it can be done so keep trying. This life changing surgery is a pretty good incentive.

Thanks for the reply. Post poning isn't an option. My time off of work not to mention my sisters time off of work to drive me. Too much to reschedule. I will fight it out. I was going to get 0 nicotine vape but was told that was also not allowed.

Edited by AmbiiNicole

8 minutes ago, AmbiiNicole said:

Thanks for the reply. Post poning isn't an option. My time off of work not to mention my sisters time off of work to drive me. Too much to reschedule. I will fight it out. I was going to get 0 nicotine vape but was told that was also not allowed.

Yea, probably because even without the nicotine the vape is technically still bad for your lungs they are finding out. You can do this though. When you want to eat or smoke just hop on this site. We are here to distract you and cheer you on. You’ve got this!! Ooh yea, not sure if you can have sugar free lolly pops but those help occupy your hands and mouth. They helped me. Or Maybe sugar free popsicles if you are allowed those??

Edited by ShoppGirl

Thank you soooo much!!

So after 3 long weeks of being on 2 Meal Replacements and 1 lunch the surgeon has now put me on 3 meal replacements and 0 food. Also, had to quit smoking well in my case vaping. How miserable!!! Has anyone else had to do anything similar? Also, I messed up a few times and smoked. Is that going to matter? Literally the hardest thing I have ever done.

I had to quit smoking too. I survived using the nicotine patch. Its cheaper for a 7 day supply than 7 boxes of ciggys here in Singapore.

Sent from my SM-N986B using BariatricPal mobile app

On 7/12/2022 at 6:25 PM, Haryumyie said:

I'm not allowed to use any nicotine products such as Patches or the gum, however, I'm doing really good now with it. :)

I had to quit smoking too. I survived using the nicotine patch. Its cheaper for a 7 day supply than 7 boxes of ciggys here in Singapore.

Sent from my SM-N986B using BariatricPal mobile app