Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wish you knew before surgery…

Do the INTERNAL work first, and don't stop. Counseling, books, support groups. Do whatever you need to so that you are in a healthy place mentally and emotionally BEFORE surgery and then keep going because you WILL need it after. I did a ton of work before surgery and felt like I was in a really good place, but I didn't keep up with most of it post-op and really struggled for a while. The hormonal changes, body changes, and lifestyle changes all add up and suddenly I didn't recognize myself or my life anymore. this is a lifelong process, you will be a WLS patient for the rest of your life, and making sure you are taking care of your WHOLE self is so, so important.

7 minutes ago, Sleeve_Me_Alone said:

The hormonal changes, body changes, and lifestyle changes all add up and suddenly I didn't recognize myself or my life anymore. this is a lifelong process, you will be a WLS patient for the rest of your life, and making sure you are taking care of your WHOLE self is so, so important.

Absolutely. That feeling of not recognizing yourself and your life anymore can be hugely disorienting, and can lead to really unhealthy coping mechanisms if you don't address it.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:20 AM, KimA-GA said:

I got severe gerd and esophagitis from my sleeve around the 3rd to 4th year (rough guess). I had a chance to get band to RNY revision but was nervous about the "drastic" surgery. I wish I skipped both the band and the vsg. I am so pleased with RNY. Note: Many people with the band and VSG do not get serious side effects, but I did.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I got severe gerd and esophagitis from my sleeve around the 3rd to 4th year (rough guess). I had a chance to get band to RNY revision but was nervous about the "drastic" surgery. I wish I skipped both the band and the vsg. I am so pleased with RNY. Note: Many people with the band and VSG do not get serious side effects, but I did.

I am 16 months out and haven’t had any issues at all so far but seeing posts like this one sorta make me wish I had just done the bypass as well.

That you will stall and you need to just keep on going. You haven't messed up, you're not doing anything wrong (as long as your following doc's instructions), you haven't failed, this is just your body resetting. People on a regular diet plan losing 1lb a week stall, so imagine how panicked or brain is after 5-10lbs! Your body is just getting everything balanced back out for the new you.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:29 PM, Arabesque said:

You will experience stalls. You will lose some hair. You will experience constipation. Your taste buds & sense of smell can become temporarily extra sensitive making some foods taste or smell awful. You will experience loss of energy, feel weak & tired. You may experience some blood pressure drops. You may still feel hungry (real or head). You may not feel hungry at all nor be interested in eating. Your tummy will be sensitive & can be fussy about certain foods one day & fine with them the next. You may vomit or be nauseous. Multivitamins can make you nauseous. You may experience the foamies - spit up thick saliva & maybe regurgitate the last bite or two of what you ate (generally happens if you eat too much, too quickly or food that is too dry or coarse)?

They may only happen to you a couple of times or not at all. But you can trust they do get better & pass. Stalls break. hair regrows. food taste yummy again. Some things pass pretty quickly. Some take a little longer & others we learn how to manage (like Constipation & the foamies).

These experiences are all part of the process. Not because you’ve done something wrong or are failing as some think & beat themselves up about. We’re experiencing a lot of psychological & physiological stress: the surgery, healing, recovery, our changed & reduced diet, the head battles, reassessing the how & why we eat, etc. They ‘re just how our body reacts to cope with the stress.

And you can rely on: We all lose weight at our own rate. The more you have to lose the faster you’ll lose to begin. The closer to goal the slower your rate of loss will become.

Hope I haven’t scared you. Rather you be prepared than go through the anguish of doubting yourself because you didn’t know. I’d rather go through those things for a few months then be obese. It’s all very much worth it.

All the best.

This. 100%

This topic is really helpful, so thank you for those contributing.

I think the thing I'm most scared of is what I'm going to do with myself and how I'm going to spend my time. I'm single, no kids, live on my own, my parents gone, sisters live 4 states away from me. I moved here right when the pandemic started for my job and haven't made any friends. I mean, I have work friends but those are colleagues, not friends. I work, I stay home, I cook, look up recipes, make stuff, eat stuff, think about what to make/eat next.

I have no hobbies other than scrolling through my phone and watching a little TV, maybe take my dog for a walk. How did I get to be 53 and have absolutely NO hobbies? Okay, I like to read, there's a hobby. But I need new hobbies to occupy my time that is currently taken up by food, food and more food.

I'm not scared of the surgery, or the changes, I'm scared I will have too much time on my hands and nothing to fill it and that I'll fall back into my old habits. What in the world am I going to do with myself?

Recognize and pay attention to the "effects" of eating too much for your sleeve. I got so close to throwing up twice. Once I broke out in a sweat and had a runny nose. The second time was like heart palpations, runny nose and being centimeters from actually throwing up. It was awful to stay the least lol. You would think it would only take once to recognize it but as with everything for me it took twice lol.

I sometimes get skiddish to eat for fear of losing track with eating too much. By the time my nose starts running Ive already had 1 or 2 bites too much.

Dont over buy all the "stuff" needed for post op. You more than likely dont need it and wont eat or drink it. I have a couple of bags of things I thought I could use but I never did. You dont feel like eating and its something to build up to.

Ditto to what everyone else said about comparing yourself to others. Some will lose quicker and some will lose alot slower (this is me). It can be frustrating and discouraging but itis what it is and its your body's way of handling the weight loss.

And ditto to measuring yourself you will see the difference. I was at my dads birthday party this past Saturday and my oldest brother was videoing and got me in the shot. When I saw the video I was horrified at how I looked and quickly realized I have just lost 52 lbs. A couple things went through my head: 1) if I thought I looked bad now imagine how I looked 52 lbs ago. 2) I could see the difference enough to realize I needed to keep going no matter how long it takes. So pictures and measurement help to put things in to perspective.

Edited by Crisscat

To Carlene-

Maybe adult coloring? There's an app, but you can do it IRL with colored pencils. Keeps my hands busy. Started using this year's ago when I quit smoking. You may be able to find them in Ealmart, but definitely at a hobby shop like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

12 hours ago, CarleneD said:

This topic is really helpful, so thank you for those contributing.

I think the thing I'm most scared of is what I'm going to do with myself and how I'm going to spend my time. I'm single, no kids, live on my own, my parents gone, sisters live 4 states away from me. I moved here right when the pandemic started for my job and haven't made any friends. I mean, I have work friends but those are colleagues, not friends. I work, I stay home, I cook, look up recipes, make stuff, eat stuff, think about what to make/eat next.

I have no hobbies other than scrolling through my phone and watching a little TV, maybe take my dog for a walk. How did I get to be 53 and have absolutely NO hobbies? Okay, I like to read, there's a hobby. But I need new hobbies to occupy my time that is currently taken up by food, food and more food.

I'm not scared of the surgery, or the changes, I'm scared I will have too much time on my hands and nothing to fill it and that I'll fall back into my old habits. What in the world am I going to do with myself?

I am In Texas, same age, no parents no kids, I have a husband, brothers and sisters who I love, but they also have busy life, I work from home. if you feel like chatting or face timing about this change or any other topic send me a private message, I did not have much people around me who understood what I have been going through.

On 08/10/2022 at 11:07, LaTiaV said:

I am In Texas, same age, no parents no kids, I have a husband, brothers and sisters who I love, but they also have busy life, I work from home. if you feel like chatting or face timing about this change or any other topic send me a private message, I did not have much people around me who understood what I have been going through.

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely do that.

I understand. I too am a single person. My family aren’t just ‘down the road’ either & I also don’t work anymore so I have all day to fill in. I do have a small circle of friends but they work, have families & their own interest & commitments. I don’t have a lot of hobbies either (except shopping - does that count -ha). I read lots. I’ll also happily go to the movies, art gallery & dance performances alone. I set myself a task to do everyday. Clean a wardrobe, drawers, cupboard or pantry, potter in my garden, various household tasks, etc. I even Iron my tea towels as a task. I’ll watch/steam/download true crime & other documentaries, lifestyle programs, & other programs. Play some games on my iPad (love a jigsaw app I have). I’ll ring or txt friends & family every week too (been having a txt conversation all morning with two girlfriends). It’s amazing how your days do fill.

I don’t exercise as such (just some stretches everyday) but another activity would be going for a walk, swim, gym visit, yoga class, … Joining a yoga, Pilates or other class, a book club are opportunities to meet people too & chat with those with similar interests. Are there adult education classes in your area where you can learn pottery, to paint, write a short story, or whatever?

Get to know your local shop keepers & assistants too. I was chatting with the lady at my pharmacy this morning - yep, I can be that person holding up the line - but it’s an interaction & you never know what they can share about local activities or events you could attend or invite your work colleagues to join you at.

Get to know your neighbours. One of my neighbours & I get together randomly for a cup of tea/coffee & a chat. I met some other women through her too as she invited me to join a sip & scribble group.

I'm a little more than a year out and I don't always notice when I'm thirsty. I used to drink a lot of Water but now I monitor my intake to make sure I don't get dehydrated. I am guessing that this is due to having a smaller stomach and needing to drink and eat at different times. I can tell when I start getting dehydrated because I start feeling a little bit dizzy when I get up from a sitting.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app

I wish I had them take my gallbladder while doing the sleeve.
My gallbladder aches every so often. I’m def not going to get it removed now (post TT) but wish I had asked for it to be taken while in there.

Before my surgery, my surgeon said “if you do anything….lift weights.” I lost weight so easily I didn’t think I “needed” to workout. My strict diet was going enough! However….I wish I had known WHY my surgeon said that. He didn’t finish the though….”lift weights because….your metabolism will dramatically slow down to a crawl to ‘preserve energy’ and your weight loss could slow - or stop, or being to regain - after a year or year and a half.”

Lifting weights and eating your Protein could preserve lean tissue loss and help preserve your metabolism.

I’m 7 years post op. I gain weight SO easily. I can eat 1/3 of the calories I used to when binging before WLS and gain weight. My metabolism has slowed so much. I no longer have the same restriction as I had immediately after VSG surgery. It’s a struggle to lose re-gain. I wish I had focused on preserving (or gaining!) lean muscle while losing fat.