Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2022 surgery support

I had my 2 week appointment today and I've lost 14 pounds since surgery! I'm pretty happy about 1 pound per day. 😁 Can't wait to be cleared for exercise - my PA says no sweating so I'm basically stuck with short walks.

I'm not allowed eggs in puree either. I'd love a scrambled egg. 2 more weeks and I can go to soft food... 🤤

New to the app . I had my surgery Oct 19,2022 .

9 hours ago, rhaenyra said:

It kind of feels nice to be transitioning into other phases with other people who understand. I started pureed foods on the 3rd. It's been a bit harder both because I want real food (namely chicken lol) and because I feel a lot more of that really overly full feeling on this phase. When I was on liquids, I didn't really have the pressure on my breastbone that they talk about. But on pureed, it has been pressing and not long after I start eating stuff. It sucks. I've even had to stay up later at night to wait for my food to empty a bit because I couldn't take my nighttime meds (that I take in Protein shake) because I felt so full. I've decided to swap out one of my meals to just Soup daily - and it'll likely be my evening one so I can take my medications.

I can't wait until the next phase... counting down. It's gonna suck watching my family members eat turkey and gravy in front of me this weekend though lol (we're having an early Thanksgiving since a family friend is flying in to celebrate).

Question for those in here though - were you allowed to have scrambled eggs during pureed? Everywhere I read online (doctor's offices, universities, etc) say you can, but my PA was staunch on no eggs unless they're pureed -- which is disgusting lol. I wanted to know if anyone else is eating them or has eaten them during pureed.

I eat eggs every morning with a tsp of cottage cheese mixed befire cooking and melted cheddar on top (real cheddar not plastic) and a bit of mild salsa.

I just do a soft scramble, I cook low and slow and turn off the heat when it's still got a little liquid. The residual cooks it completely and it's super soft. Then I just chew chew chew. No issues. 3.5 weeks post op.

For Thanksgiving, try pureed turkey with gravy. I love doing chicken in this way. So much flavor though I can only do about 2 oz over an hour. (My surgeon allows pureed meats in pureed stage :/)

there's a lovely SF pumpkin mouse recipe on pinterest that would be perfect for a treat.

So excited to be reading how everyone is doing! So far I have lost a total of about 32 lbs since my pre-op diet and I am 5 weeks out! The weight loss is MUCH slower than I anticipated and mentally that has been easier on me. I thought I would drop 20lbs a week or something but I have been losing about 5-6 lbs a week. My doctor wants me to lose a pound a day and I get pretty close but not quite there, which seems to be ok as well.

I started working out again but the last week and a half my energy has been LOW. I went on a work trip and when I came back it seems like I could not recover. I think I am just going through some serious fatigue right now. I think it could be that I may not be getting enough Water. I try SO HARD. I have lost track of the amount daily but have started counting again. This work is so hard and I just want to get to a place that it doesn't take that much space in my mind!

Oct 19 2022, I had the gastric sleeve

I had the gastric sleeve on October 6th and I would say I'm doing fantastic! The hardest part was the first week. It was weird to have zero appetite at all, but the hardest part was the gas pains. In the last month I've lost 34 lb since surgery and I couldn't be happier. Don't be surprised if you hit a plateau for a couple weeks that happened to me and evidently it's extremely common and the more weight you lose the more likely you are to hit a plateau for a while. Just hold on and keep doing the diets. The only thing I'm struggling with is getting exercise into my day as I'm exhausted by the end of the day since I have no carbs, no sugar, no caffeine to help by. Just hold on and know that the pain of the first couple days is only temporary. In the more you walk, the better you'll be.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:41 PM, kiel_d-01 said:

Hello I'm new here! My surgery is on the 25th. Any surgery buddies? Just around the corner. I'm so excited for this new chapter. I'm on a full liquid diet and doing better than I thought I would. Love my Jello 😊

My covid test is tomorrow. Hopefully I pass!

When I was on the liquid diet I loved low sodium broth as well as lots and lots of sugar-free popsicles. They really hit the spot and soothing your throat if it's a little sore from the innovation and also they just feel good when they hit your stomach. Good luck on your surgery! I just had mine on the 6th and I feel fully recovered to the point where sometimes I forget I even had surgery. It's pretty awesome!

On 10/20/2022 at 10:57 AM, MyDogsLoveMe said:

Mine was on the 11th too.

I meet my Protein goals by adding Protein Powder (and water) to my pre made Protein Shakes. I also drink premeir protein clear drinks instead of plain Water. That was the only way to meet my protein goals. I tried adding protein to my Soup but it made it taste so bad and have a weird unpleasant consistency.

I'm glad you are doing well! Keep it going!

Scared but excited.

Just checking in with everyone. I had my two week post op checkup today and I'm down 10 lbs since surgery date and 30 lbs since starting the journey last summer. My pants are getting baggy and I love it! I'm on the pureed diet which has been going pretty well. It's hard to fit enough Protein and liquid in each day but I'm trying! How is everyone else from October doing?

I'm 3 weeks and a couple days out now and I think I'm hitting the dreaded "3 week stall" or at least for me, the 3 week slow down. I was losing 1 pound a day before and the past few days it's been closer to .1-.2. I'm okay with this still even if it does come to a halt for a while.

My stomach healing seems to be going backwards though. It has started cramping a lot while eating and drinking, and even occasionally when I'm just sitting here doing nothing. My team told me to go back to liquids for a couple days, so I've been doing that. ☹️ I was supposed to start soft foods next Tuesday but now it looks like I won't be able to.

12 hours ago, AnnMarie M said:

Just checking in with everyone. I had my two week post op checkup today and I'm down 10 lbs since surgery date and 30 lbs since starting the journey last summer. My pants are getting baggy and I love it! I'm on the pureed diet which has been going pretty well. It's hard to fit enough Protein and liquid in each day but I'm trying! How is everyone else from October doing?

I'm 4 weeks and 2 days post op. I'm down 18 pounds since surgery. My clothes are also looser and I really love it, too. My weight loss was happening really fast, in the first couple of weeks and it was kind of scaring me. Thankfully, it has slowed down.

I start soft foods, today. So far, I haven't had any problems with getting in enough Protein and Water.

My hunger is really starting to return. So I've had to start eating food more often. I was eating 3 times a day, now I'm up to 5. I've cut down my use of Protein Shakes to 1 or 2 per day. I was drinking 3, before. I'm typically getting anywhere from 600-900 calories per day.

I was cleared for exercise, so I've been doing slow walks on my elliptical - 15 minutes a day and keeping it under 7 miles per hour. I'm trying real hard not to overdo it.

My incisions are healing. I have one that was bigger than the others and it's being a little slow to close up. I still have some bruising. I'm still fairly sore. But, if I sneeze now, I don't feel like I'm going to die. So that's progress. :)

4 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

I'm 4 weeks and 2 days post op. I'm down 18 pounds since surgery. My clothes are also looser and I really love it, too. My weight loss was happening really fast, in the first couple of weeks and it was kind of scaring me. Thankfully, it has slowed down.

I start soft foods, today. So far, I haven't had any problems with getting in enough Protein and Water.

My hunger is really starting to return. So I've had to start eating food more often. I was eating 3 times a day, now I'm up to 5. I've cut down my use of Protein Shakes to 1 or 2 per day. I was drinking 3, before. I'm typically getting anywhere from 600-900 calories per day.

I was cleared for exercise, so I've been doing slow walks on my elliptical - 15 minutes a day and keeping it under 7 miles per hour. I'm trying real hard not to overdo it.

My incisions are healing. I have one that was bigger than the others and it's being a little slow to close up. I still have some bruising. I'm still fairly sore. But, if I sneeze now, I don't feel like I'm going to die. So that's progress. :)

Hey everybody! I'm 6 weeks and one day post-op... The first month I lost 30 lb but since then I've only lost seven and I'm giving myself a really hard time. I know that they say there's a plateau. I just didn't think it was going to be so close to after surgery. Did anybody get any recommendations on how to get past the plateau? I can't help but try to blame myself for doing something wrong even though I'm following every single rule except exercise because my back still won't allow me to. I need to lose a little more weight before that's possible. I'm so proud of each and every one of us for taking this journey. My original weight at my heaviest was 356 lb, after I got on the diet for pre-op it went down to 319 lb and I'm now 286 lb... I have such a hard time realizing that's quite a bit of weight loss when I feel so far away from my goal of 180... Any encouragement would help....

3 hours ago, ashleydashley said:

Hey everybody! I'm 6 weeks and one day post-op... The first month I lost 30 lb but since then I've only lost seven and I'm giving myself a really hard time. I know that they say there's a plateau. I just didn't think it was going to be so close to after surgery. Did anybody get any recommendations on how to get past the plateau? I can't help but try to blame myself for doing something wrong even though I'm following every single rule except exercise because my back still won't allow me to. I need to lose a little more weight before that's possible. I'm so proud of each and every one of us for taking this journey. My original weight at my heaviest was 356 lb, after I got on the diet for pre-op it went down to 319 lb and I'm now 286 lb... I have such a hard time realizing that's quite a bit of weight loss when I feel so far away from my goal of 180... Any encouragement would help....

You're doing great!

As long as you're meeting your Protein and hydration goals and sticking to the plan, all you can do is be patient. The weight will come off, eventually, as long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Hang in there!

6 hours ago, ashleydashley said:

3 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

You're doing great!

As long as you're meeting your Protein and hydration goals and sticking to the plan, all you can do is be patient. The weight will come off, eventually, as long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Hang in there!

Ashleydasley...great job. I'm almost exactly where you are, including beginning weight and now. I hit a stall at 3 weeks for about 10 days and then boom, down 8lbs.. it's crazy but I just keep doing what I'm suppose to and I think the next time I hit a stall I won't be so freaked out. Went out for lunch today with my mom and was actually able to put on an old pair of jeans that zipped. Haven't worn any pants like that for years.

Weight loss update?

My surgery on 10/17 and I have had such a hate/hate relationship with scales my whole life that I decided I was not buying a scale because I did not want it to be about the "number". However, now I fear I am behind schedule. I was looking at stats on profiles of others around my size, but they are not easy to really determine where everyone is and was. For example, my weight when I "started this journey" was 270. However, my weight on surgery day was 265. I was weighed 7 days post-op and had lost 7 pounds. I was weighed today as part of life insurance enrollment, and I am 244. That is ONLY 21 pounds in nearly FIVE weeks!! WTH!

How are all my other October surgery teammates coming along??