Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2022 surgery support

6 hours ago, Momsaysimaoops said:

I just made chicken fajitas and bean puree!

Grilled a seasoned chicken breast,then pureed with Greek yogurt.

Made peppers and onion sauté then pureed, set aside.

Layered chicken and pepper/onion puree in baby food tupperware and topped with cheese when reheating.

Made seasoned black Beans with added collagen. Pureed with Greek yogurt. Into baby food containers and also topped with cheese at reheat.

All the flavors!! So nice to not have to drink my food anymore. The Greek yogurt helps with added Protein ad smoothness.

That sounds great! Lots of yummy flavors. My program has us using 3 shakes a day even in the puree phase. 6 weeks/soft food I can bring it down to 2/day. 6 months/solid food I can go down to 1 shake but that continues for a year. Then it's whatever we feel like.

So for right now I can only do 2 meals a day that are real food (supposed to have 5 meals/day). I know I'm gonna be sick of Protein Shakes by the end of it all. lol I had my Breakfast Protein Shake today and will be eating my first puree at lunch time! Wooo hooo!

Edited by kiel_d-01

I had my surgery on Oct 20th and have had issues drinking the Protein shakes(gross). So basically I have had no protein since surgery so ate some steak tips today very slowly and my stomach seems to have handled it well. I know this is not ideal but I was so weak without any protein and felt sick. I feel much better now. Anyone else eat food earlier than they were scheduled to? Thanks.
No. I'm sticking to what my surgeon says. If I wanted to continue to do what I wanted I wouldn't have had the surgery. But, you do you. It's your body and your healing.

That said, I did Protein before the surgery to find out which ones I could tolerate. The Atkins ones were the best even though it has less Protein, I add Protein Powder to bring up the grams of protein per serving. I tried Isopure and clear protein which I could also tolerate. I could not do the ones added to Soup.

Scared but excited.

20 hours ago, Beantownposse said:

I had my surgery on Oct 20th and have had issues drinking the Protein shakes(gross). So basically I have had no Protein since surgery so ate some steak tips today very slowly and my stomach seems to have handled it well. I know this is not ideal but I was so weak without any protein and felt sick. I feel much better now. Anyone else eat food earlier than they were scheduled to? Thanks.

My surgery was 10/4, im still having trouble getting enought protein but have found these shots that have between 15 and 36 grams of protein and are only between 2 and 4 ounces each. Much easier to choke down than 10-16oz to get the same amount of protein. I have eaten some foods a few days before I got the official orders to switch to purees but that was a huge mistake. I threw up for over 24 hours after that. I tried a soft meatball for dinner then mushed up salmon and cauliflower the next day for lunch and after that I couldn't keep anything down, I was honestly afraid I messed something with the surgery up, so much so it's been almost a week and I still have been hesitant to eat even pureed fruit I've been sticking with my Protein Shots depending on which either 2 or 3 times a day then the rest of the day work on trying to get enough fluids to not be dehydrated. You definitely got lucky your pouch wasn't irritated or damaged, as was I, ive read some horror stories of people eating too soon and it causing a leak in their stomach pouch which can and did almost killed them in a very short time so im paranoid now and sticking to protein shots and zero Gatorade for as long as I can stand it. I read somewhere it really takes like 12 weeks for the stomach pouch to fully heal even tho the drs progress the diet doesn't mean it's fully healed so just be careful.

So update on puree... it was... not as good as I expected. The texture of everything (besides the ricotta bake) squicks me out. I can't get over the "baby food" thing especially with the puree chicken I put in my chicken enchilada puree. The crab rangoon was a no go. I threw them away. Tried making deviled egg puree cuz it sounded good. Ended up being gross. I took some buffalo chicken dip and thinned it out with cottage cheese and that was ok I guess. The best was the ricotta bake. The texture isn't so bad but it's just kinda meh on flavor. Next time I'm gonna try adding more italian seasoning. I was able to handle 2 tablespoons eaten over a 20 minute period which left me satisfied. So that was a win.

I'm kinda bummed overall but at least it's not forever.

On 11/01/2022 at 08:28, Momsaysimaoops said:

Try clear whey Protein Drinks. They are more like flavored water.

Protein is important or youll lose too much muscle mass.

Going to a general diet so early isn't good as you're still healing. I'm October 17th and just moved to purees. Your doctors orders aren't recommendations they're post operative care instructions to ensure you heal properly.

Try pureeing chicken or fish into Soups.

Beef is one of the last things they recommend you eating as it's fatty and harder to chew down to a good puree.

I really second what Monsaysimaooos says. My suggestion as well is to try to get a sample pack of clear whey protein powders if you can - MyProtein in the UK does a sample box so you can try lots of different flavours. Some of then I HATED but a few of them I really, really liked. Just like Momsaysimaoos says, they basically taste like juice. I drink 4 of those a day, and that smashes my Water AND my protein targets for the day because I’m taking in 2 L of water, 80 g of protein, 10 carbs and about 350 calories every day. I know I probably sound like a zealot, but they honestly make post op life SO much easier!

On 11/01/2022 at 08:28, Momsaysimaoops said:

Try clear whey Protein Drinks. They are more like flavored water.

Protein is important or youll lose too much muscle mass.

Going to a general diet so early isn't good as you're still healing. I'm October 17th and just moved to purees. Your doctors orders aren't recommendations they're post operative care instructions to ensure you heal properly.

Try pureeing chicken or fish into Soups.

Beef is one of the last things they recommend you eating as it's fatty and harder to chew down to a good puree.

I really second what Monsaysimaooos says. My suggestion as well is to try to get a sample pack of clear whey protein powders if you can - MyProtein in the UK does a sample box so you can try lots of different flavours. Some of then I HATED but a few of them I really, really liked. Just like Momsaysimaoos says, they basically taste like juice. I drink 4 of those a day, and that smashes my Water AND my protein targets for the day because I’m taking in 2 L of water, 80 g of protein, 10 carbs and about 350 calories every day. I know I probably sound like a zealot, but they honestly make post op life SO much easier!

18 minutes ago, amysc76 said:

Question........I had surgery the 3rd, 2 days ago and just received my Soup mixes and other Bariatric Pal items. The Soup can be used during the first 2 week liquid diet correct?IMG-20221030-WA0000.jpg 20221026_151334.jpg

Sent from my SM-S515DL using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you on clear or full liquids? If clear, then no. If full, then yes, but you'll need to strain it.

26 minutes ago, amysc76 said:

Question........I had surgery the 3rd, 2 days ago and just received my Soup mixes and other Bariatric Pal items. The Soup can be used during the first 2 week liquid diet correct?IMG-20221030-WA0000.jpg 20221026_151334.jpg

Sent from my SM-S515DL using BariatricPal mobile app

i was sleeves nov 3rd too :) i had 3 days clear liquid, including simple broth, then starting monday i can do full liquid including the Soups as long as they can go through a strainer for all of the bits and bobs that might be floating solids in it …

I ate a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese today and ooooof did I feel that. I was full the rest of the day and almost had a hard time getting my Water and Protein in. I'm glad my pouch is working as intended. I won't do that again. 😂

7 hours ago, kiel_d-01 said:

I ate a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese today and ooooof did I feel that. I was full the rest of the day and almost had a hard time getting my Water and Protein in. I'm glad my pouch is working as intended. I won't do that again. 😂

You should be doing about 1/4 cup at this stage, over a hour. Eat slow so you don't miss your full signal and over eat.

7 hours ago, Momsaysimaoops said:

You should be doing about 1/4 cup at this stage, over a hour. Eat slow so you don't miss your full signal and over eat.

I was mostly curious if my pouch was working. I've had very little issues since the beginning and I was starting to wonder if they made my pouch too big or something. That's the only reason I went for the whole .5 cup. Which was stupid in hindsight. 😅

I do struggle with eating too fast though. I ordered some little sand timers so I can slow down between bites. I was always a fast eater before surgery so that transition has been a bit difficult.

One month post-op. Saw my surgeon and dietician today. Everything was good and had been able to move on to phase 3, soft foods. Total loss 74lbs since may, 21lbs post-op. I'm very happy but I have recently hit that stall that alot of you talk about. I just keep doing what I know to be right and I know it'll be ok and soon the weight will start coming off again. Overall, the 1st month wasn't too bad.

Started purees yesterday, which feels like a big change. My digestive system has definitely woken up! Possibly TMI, but after two weeks of very infrequent visits to the toilet I suddenly understand why they say to try new foods at home :/ Honestly, I wish I could just stay on the clear whey powders! But I am committed to doing what the clinical team tells me, because I know my relationship with food is f*cked and they are actual experts. And I’m happy to say I’ve lost over 20lbs in the first two weeks - that plus my weight loss from the pre op diet means like I’m already almost a third of the way through my weight loss! That’s pretty crazy, but also ridiculously motivating.

It kind of feels nice to be transitioning into other phases with other people who understand. I started pureed foods on the 3rd. It's been a bit harder both because I want real food (namely chicken lol) and because I feel a lot more of that really overly full feeling on this phase. When I was on liquids, I didn't really have the pressure on my breastbone that they talk about. But on pureed, it has been pressing and not long after I start eating stuff. It sucks. I've even had to stay up later at night to wait for my food to empty a bit because I couldn't take my nighttime meds (that I take in Protein shake) because I felt so full. I've decided to swap out one of my meals to just Soup daily - and it'll likely be my evening one so I can take my medications.

I can't wait until the next phase... counting down. It's gonna suck watching my family members eat turkey and gravy in front of me this weekend though lol (we're having an early Thanksgiving since a family friend is flying in to celebrate).

Question for those in here though - were you allowed to have scrambled eggs during pureed? Everywhere I read online (doctor's offices, universities, etc) say you can, but my PA was staunch on no eggs unless they're pureed -- which is disgusting lol. I wanted to know if anyone else is eating them or has eaten them during pureed.